What did you do to your E28 today?

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
LarryM

Re: What did you do to your E28 today?

Post by LarryM »

I ordered a new set of center caps for my M5 wheels. The way things are going, BMW might be discontinuing the production of these anytime, and I want to be ahead of the curve (for once!) on parts that we find are suddenly NLA.
SeattleGuy

Post by SeattleGuy »

Paint strip + full orbital.
davintosh

Post by davintosh »

I started it up and drove it... About two feet forward.

Landscapers need access to the sprinkler control tomorrow, and I wanted to give them plenty of room. :cool:

At least it moved under its own power; last time I tried (November-ish) it wouldn't start. Fuel pump. I have got the new pump, now need one of those Round-Tuits® to actually do the work to install it.
rodpaine

Post by rodpaine »

At least you moved it and actually had a bit of oil in the engine circulated. I understand that the person that owns my E28 doesn't drive it at all!:-( I am still driving our 2019 Audi RS 3 at least 2-3 days a week weather permitting on our country back roads, averaging 80-100 miles per drive. Certainly keeps the RS 3 happy, as well as the 81 year old bones in my body! Gotta keep at it guys... it's good for you and the vehicle!
https://www.audizine.com/gallery/showph ... 19&cat=500
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

I had been looking for a cheap set of "rollers" to use temporarily while my M5 wheels are being refinished, but a real nice set of (5) 16" X 7" Style 29s with tires came up on the Los Angeles-area CL and I couldn't pass them up for $300. The mounted tires (215/60-16) are too tall so I might have some interference in the rear if I try to drive with them, but they might be OK if the car just sits stationary.

Style 29s, although not my absolute favorite BMW wheels, do look great on E28s especially in 16" diameter with 225/50 or 205/55 tires. Maybe I need to find another E28 to give these a more permanent home. OTOH it's kinda cool to have some extra, good looking wheels laying around in the garage.
tn535i

Post by tn535i »

Style 29's are my preferred e28 wheel. Needing hubcentric rings is the ONLY strike I have against them. The look just right and a little more modern and much easier to keep clean than a Style 5. IMO a 205/55-16 is THE best size choice on that wheel.
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

I got mine out of the garage for the first time since November 1. :)
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

I had to buy a new battery today. The old one had lasted six years so I can’t complain too much, although they aren’t getting any cheaper - it was $170 including tax.
Karl Grau

Post by Karl Grau »

davintosh

Post by davintosh »

Snazzy new shoes, Charles!
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Karl Grau wrote: May 26, 2021 8:40 PM
:shock: Wow. Brand new M5 wheels? Be careful with those new tires though, doesn't look like they'll be real good in the rain. :laugh:
Karl Grau

Post by Karl Grau »

Mike W. wrote: May 27, 2021 3:57 PMBrand new M5 wheels? Be careful with those new tires though, doesn't look like they'll be real good in the rain. :laugh:
The wheels went up in price significantly since I had last checked but I guess it's amazing you can still buy them at all. The tires would suck on a wet surface but they'll never see rain. ;)

LarryM

Post by LarryM »

It's a matter of personal opinion of course but I think the M5 wheel is hard to beat for a 16" wheel on an E28. It's a nice clean, uncluttered design in the perfect size and offset.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Karl Grau wrote: May 27, 2021 7:58 PM
Mike W. wrote: May 27, 2021 3:57 PMBrand new M5 wheels? Be careful with those new tires though, doesn't look like they'll be real good in the rain. :laugh:
I guess it's amazing you can still buy them at all.
Yep, agreed.

The tires would suck on a wet surface but they'll never see rain. ;)
I kind of figured that, I didn't think it was a DD. :laugh:
Mr.3-5-7

Post by Mr.3-5-7 »

Sorry i never remember to take pictures.

I finally replaced my leaking and noisy G265 with a nice Metric Mechanic unit. While in there, replaced the clutch, installed a stainless clutch slave line, replaced all the shifter parts to tighten it up. Also rebuilt the axle CV joints/boots and did a drain and refill for the diff. Found a leaking and deteriorating rubber ICV hose and replaced that and my idle got so much better (imagine that!). Replaced spark plugs and wires. And FINALLY got my OBC backlight replaced.

Whew! it obviously didnt all happen in one day but thought i would share anyway.
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

Mr.3-5-7 wrote: May 27, 2021 11:09 PM ......While in there, replaced the clutch, installed a stainless clutch slave line,.......
After I installed a stainless clutch slave line, there was an annoying whine being transmitted through the line and into the clutch pedal. I replaced it with a new BMW line and the noise went away. Let me know if you experience the same thing.
Mr.3-5-7

Post by Mr.3-5-7 »

LarryM wrote: May 27, 2021 11:43 PM
Mr.3-5-7 wrote: May 27, 2021 11:09 PM ......While in there, replaced the clutch, installed a stainless clutch slave line,.......
After I installed a stainless clutch slave line, there was an annoying whine being transmitted through the line and into the clutch pedal. I replaced it with a new BMW line and the noise went away. Let me know if you experience the same thing.
Nothing so far. Only drove it to work and back today. But thanks for the heads up.
ThirdPedalNirvana

Post by ThirdPedalNirvana »

Drove it. I can say that almost every day. :cool:

That's a great thing because the car I had before, the 85 RX-7, I didn't drive it. Because I couldn't trust it. It wanted to be on jacks more than it wanted to be on the road. In the meantime, my E28 is my go-to tahoe vehicle (250 miles one way) when 50 is plowed because it came with a free ski rack!
amagansa

Post by amagansa »

Got my first Blackstone oil analysis back today. Surprised to find out that my engine is actually pretty healthy. Everything lines up with the averages for m30b34s. Not bad for ~300k miles. I keep waiting on the day this engine kicks the bucket, but it's still going strong!
alps

Post by alps »

After clearing the junk from the trunk months ago and ridding it of mildew and damp, I finally got the trunk back together.

tn535i

Post by tn535i »

Trunk looks as new...

There is a plastic part used on a paper core here at work that I use to easily flip that spare, which makes it easy to keep some of your junk (like jumper cables) inside the wheel.

If you are missing the white support that goes on top of the threaded stud you can use 2 of these and make a nice double ended support with a short piece of plastic tube which I also have some of and could cut a few.

It is too much trouble and expense to start sending these one or two at a time but I would be more than happy to send a box full of them to an event or someone who can distribute them easily.
alps

Post by alps »

tn535i wrote: Jun 16, 2021 11:38 AM Trunk looks as new...

There is a plastic part used on a paper core here at work that I use to easily flip that spare, which makes it easy to keep some of your junk (like jumper cables) inside the wheel.

If you are missing the white support that goes on top of the threaded stud you can use 2 of these and make a nice double ended support with a short piece of plastic tube which I also have some of and could cut a few.

It is too much trouble and expense to start sending these one or two at a time but I would be more than happy to send a box full of them to an event or someone who can distribute them easily.
Great idea! Can always use more space to stash things in there. I'd take one of those spacers. Interesting that your stud cap is white where mine is black, wonder why they would change that.
willyv124

Post by willyv124 »

Eventful weekend.

Fixed stuttering rear windows by cleaning the window guides and then lubing them with some dielectric grease. The windows were also not well attached to the horizontal bar that is supposed to clamp onto the bottom edge of the window. So used some rubber from a bike inner tube to fill the gap and some gaffers tape. Not ideal but i'll work for now. I have an appointment to get xprel prime xr plus installed so that I can survive the summers and also have a covercraft sunscreen on order. End of summer will probably get Austin's ac solution kit.

Stopped by the junkyard to checkout two e28's. One was dropped off a month ago another just last Wednesday. The newest one looks like it was gutted before it was dropped off. Pulled a rear bumper trim to replace mine which is damaged from being dragged on the ground when a body clip fell off. Also pulled a sunroof motor cover which i already broke a clip so I might keep the one I ordered recently that hasn't gotten here yet. Pulled some rear speaker mounts/faceplates as mine are cracked but then on the e28 that had been there I saw it had premium rear speakers, so I took those out and got them installed, the main speaker goes in and out but the tweeters work.

My antenna mast never goes all the way up, so I got the existing one removed and have ordered a URO replacement

Also hit 200,000 on the odometer (swapped engine though, and the odometer gears were broken from the previous owner) right as i drove into my driveway this morning and didn't even notice it, until later in the day.

Additionally, twice over the weekend while i had the clutch in and was rolling the car had died. One time I had 1/4 of a tank and the other time was going around a cul de sac to park, but i had > 1/2 a tank at that time. I have suspected my in tank fuel pump is bad so I think that is on the list of things to do. Although I probably need to do some proper diagnosing
davintosh

Post by davintosh »

Well, the only thing I did with the e28 today was finally get around to posting some photos of it after what I did to it several weeks ago.

I was in the market a while back for a pair of front Billie Sport fronts, and was having trouble finding any, and then stumbled across a set of four nearly new Billie Sports with Spax lowering springs for a heck of a price. And I wasn't too slow or late to the party, and was actually able to get them! (Thanks, Mike!) I was able to get the fronts on pretty much right away, but getting around to the backs took a little while longer. And this is the result.

I'm pretty pleased with the ride, but the camber on the rear wheels concerns me a bit. I've got a set of eccentric bolts and the weld-on camber & toe adjusters, and am thinking about pulling the rear axle this winter to install it.

I also deleted the original high-pressure fuel pump, and installed a Walbro 255 in-tank pump while I had the rear end on stands.

I did this one the same way I did the first one several years ago, cut the smaller of the two pipes so that the output of the pump could attach to it and reach the bottom of the tank. With this one though, I just have the pump hanging by the small section of rubber fuel hose, rather than tying it to anything else. I've seen a number of other cars that do something similar, and considering the complaints I've heard from some about the noise coming from the Walbro pumps, I hoped this might help in that regard, and it did. Can hardly hear the thing.

Since then the car has been running rock solid, with the exception of last Thursday; the engine just shut off about three blocks from home. I did a quick investigation after pulling off onto a side street; didn't find anything, but I think the futzing I did with the relays may have cured it. So, I think there's a new set of relays in my future. Or maybe a rocker switch on the dash to replace the fuel pump relay altogether!
RonW

Post by RonW »

Refueled the 535is, probably for the first time since 2019. I've put less than 100 miles on it over the past year.

Driving it is a relaxing pleasure. It's hard to believe that back in the '80s that was the vehicle of the yuppie Master of the Universe.