What did you do to your E28 today?

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
davintosh

Re: What did you do to your E28 today?

Post by davintosh »

I just put the renewed tags on mine as well. And discovered an issue while putting the registration slip away; noticed that one of the window switch lights wasn't lit, so I tapped on it (because that's the first step of troubleshooting) and the window moved! :shock:

The key was in my pocket, so I don't think that's supposed to happen. :?

Looks like I have some troubleshooting ahead of me.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

davintosh wrote: Dec 13, 2020 1:55 PM I just put the renewed tags on mine as well. And discovered an issue while putting the registration slip away; noticed that one of the window switch lights wasn't lit, so I tapped on it (because that's the first step of troubleshooting) and the window moved! :shock:

Au contraire. Even US cars were wired to allow key off window operation with the drivers door open if you retrieved some wires and plugged in a relay. I would guess euro cars came that way stock. I think it was RonW who figured that out way back when and posted about it. Might have even been in the Roadfly days.
travisj

Post by travisj »

Mike W. wrote: Dec 13, 2020 6:46 PM
davintosh wrote: Dec 13, 2020 1:55 PM I just put the renewed tags on mine as well. And discovered an issue while putting the registration slip away; noticed that one of the window switch lights wasn't lit, so I tapped on it (because that's the first step of troubleshooting) and the window moved! :shock:

Au contraire. Even US cars were wired to allow key off window operation with the drivers door open if you retrieved some wires and plugged in a relay. I would guess euro cars came that way stock. I think it was RonW who figured that out way back when and posted about it. Might have even been in the Roadfly days.
Dave, my M535 does this as well. Window operation with key out and door open.
davintosh

Post by davintosh »

travisj wrote: Dec 13, 2020 8:30 PM
Mike W. wrote: Dec 13, 2020 6:46 PM

Dave, my M535 does this as well. Window operation with key out and door open.
Well now... I learned something new today; thanks, guys! I guess that means I can go home now. ;)

But I still have some troubleshooting to do on it; something on fuse 5 is making the battery go flat if its left for a couple days.
cek

Post by cek »

davintosh wrote: Dec 13, 2020 11:02 PM But I still have some troubleshooting to do on it; something on fuse 5 is making the battery go flat if its left for a couple days.
Probably the interior lights relay.
topher800

Post by topher800 »

@ 186k
Replaced factory clutch - resurfaced flywheel - associated seals.
Replaced factory starter while in there...with a 1990 535

Flushed brake & clutch tar, er fluid.

16" Style 29's went on this fall...went form 225 on the M5 rims to 205 on these. And summer to all-season tires...much plusher ride.
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

Pulled all the Heyco tools from my trunk one-by-one and cleaned up any light surface rust with some steel wool. Then I wiped them with a thin coat of Birchwood Casey "Rig Universal Gun Grease" which had been suggested by someone in an older thread. Did the same with the tools in my E24.

It's a light grease that's mostly used to prevent rust and corrosion in firearms so it should be pretty effective. I have a hunch it offers better protection than WD-40, but we'll see.
jimoreno

Post by jimoreno »

This weekend I started to disassemble the whole rear end. Now I know what spending most of its life in NJ means! It was supposed to be a simple rear sub-frame bushing replacement (I've had the Powerflex for like 8 years now!) but after looking at the rust on everything (plus the two "pins" don't want to come out but that's another story) I decided to bring it all down take it all apart, clean it up and make it look pretty. I'll be ordering all parking brake stuff, backing plates, bearings, rotors, pads, dog bones and axle shafts. Also need to clean and seal the differential as it looks wet. I replaced the exhaust with a Boysen seven years ago and its rusting so it also needs clean up and painting. Driveshaft was replaced about three years back also. We'll see how deep the rabbit hole is! I'm going to try Eastwood's 2K Ceramic Chassis Stain Black on the components.
glowell222

Post by glowell222 »

I installed all new steering column switch-gear. What a huge improvement to the driving experience. I hadn't realized how worn the old switches were and how sloppy all of it felt. I used NOS for the wipers and turn signals-couldn't find any for the cruise, so I used the new part number. Among my favorite updates so far.
Dale3783

Post by Dale3783 »

glowell222 wrote: Feb 23, 2021 5:41 PM I installed all new steering column switch-gear. What a huge improvement to the driving experience. I hadn't realized how worn the old switches were and how sloppy all of it felt. I used NOS for the wipers and turn signals-couldn't find any for the cruise, so I used the new part number. Among my favorite updates so far.
Wow, interesting. Now I have to go pay attention to how sloppy mine are. Never considered this. Thanks!
amagansa

Post by amagansa »

Replaced the dog bones on my lunch break. They were so worn out you could use them as hot wheels! Wonder if they were original...
austin8753

Post by austin8753 »

took the M5 out last night. started pouring rain. still don't have a functioning heater fan motor.

long story short, took a nice 60 mile trip, in the rain, with the windows down.

i still love the car. :)
mnnguy

Post by mnnguy »

Installed sport seats I just recovered using the kit from Lseat. Took longer than I wanted to as there were so many things missing hardware wise from the seats to begin with, and having to repair a split in the bolster.
Turned out pretty good as this was my first time even attempting anything upholstery related and quality of the material seems similar to the leather from my e92. Also painted the rear parcel shelf black as it was a faded light blue with vinyl fabric paint from AutoZone.
Oh and also added LED interior dome lights so they become actually useful at night

glowell222

Post by glowell222 »

Over the weekend I replaced my blower motor. Very easy to do, all things considered, and the trickiest part is putting the two inboard squirrel cage retention clips back on. I had to use an extension magnet and a long screw driver to put the clips back. An extension magnet is a crucial tool for this job-you simply cannot perform this without one, unless you have very long, skinny fingers, very skinny hands, and a double jointed wrist.
Dale3783

Post by Dale3783 »

mnnguy wrote: Mar 01, 2021 6:59 PM Installed sport seats I just recovered using the kit from Lseat. Took longer than I wanted to as there were so many things missing hardware wise from the seats to begin with, and having to repair a split in the bolster.
Turned out pretty good as this was my first time even attempting anything upholstery related and quality of the material seems similar to the leather from my e92. Also painted the rear parcel shelf black as it was a faded light blue with vinyl fabric paint from AutoZone.
Oh and also added LED interior dome lights so they become actually useful at night

Wow. Those look great. I may pull the trigger on these.
RonW

Post by RonW »

Took it to get its state inspection. In the past year I put a whopping 72 miles on it.
e28Sean

Post by e28Sean »

After 35 years of faithful service, the interior door handle on the drivers door gave up the ghost the other day.

I ordered a replacement. Can't wait to install it... It's getting old having to roll down the window to use the outside handle. :laugh:
Mend19317

Post by Mend19317 »

Crashed my e28 pulled the motor and transmission I plan to put it in a E30 😂
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

mnnguy wrote: Mar 01, 2021 6:59 PM Installed sport seats I just recovered using the kit from Lseat. Took longer than I wanted to as there were so many things missing hardware wise from the seats to begin with, and having to repair a split in the bolster.

Wow, those look great! :bow:

Are they real leather, bonded leather or ??? Nice and soft I assume? For the price I'm seeing at Lseat it looks like a bargain. Upholstery can get very expensive. As a friend once said, to paraphrase, the best way to restore leather is to rub it with $100 bills, then send them off to an upholsterer. With the $100 bills.
e28Sean

Post by e28Sean »

I was very ambitious indeed today. Not sure where that came from.

I replaced the drivers interior door pull, which after 35 years and given up on life.

The replacement, from Pelican Parts:

... tucked away nicely in it's new home (and yes, I need to clean that bit of trim).

I also addressed some very badly oxidized and contaminated paintwork.

Before:

After a couple of hours with a clay bar, a polisher, some microfiber towels, and some wax:

Not perfect, but, 99% better!
mnnguy

Post by mnnguy »

Mike W. wrote: Mar 12, 2021 2:18 AM

Wow, those look great! :bow:

Are they real leather, bonded leather or ??? Nice and soft I assume? For the price I'm seeing at Lseat it looks like a bargain. Upholstery can get very expensive. As a friend once said, to paraphrase, the best way to restore leather is to rub it with $100 bills, then send them off to an upholsterer. With the $100 bills.
Uhh im not really knowledgable on being able to tell the difference between bonded/genuine or real leather but it feels relatively soft (hence the comparison to my e92 leather seats, similar to those but they feel softer and the grain is more apparent vs fully smooth), i notice that the leather was decently thick when installing it too. Heres another pic of em in different light.

Also this past weekend went ahead and polished all four of my style 5s that i have been putting off for too long.

John in VA

Post by John in VA »

mnnguy wrote: Mar 23, 2021 5:46 AMAlso this past weekend went ahead and polished all four of my style 5s that i have been putting off for too long.

Great results on the wheels! What was your process?
mnnguy

Post by mnnguy »

John in VA wrote: Mar 23, 2021 9:12 PM
mnnguy wrote: Mar 23, 2021 5:46 AMAlso this past weekend went ahead and polished all four of my style 5s that i have been putting off for too long.

Great results on the wheels! What was your process?
Thanks!
So In my case I left the tires on, removed all bolts and knocked the center out. I bought paint stripper from AutoZone and brushed it on all over the wheel to remove the clear coat.
Wet sanded 320 grit to remove most of the curb-rash, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 after.
After that to get the mirror finish, i buffed with a cotton wheel with brown tripoli, then white rouge. This part is important or else the wheels wont be mirror like and will end up foggy/cloudy. Finally just use a mag/aluminum polish and reassemble all the wheels, blue loctite on the bolts and torque to iirc 22/23 ft lbs.

Fyi Your hands will probably hate you after this :laugh:
knunger

Post by knunger »

After years of putting up with a steadily increasing ATF leak in the power steering circuit, I decided to fix that f*cker.
1. Put the car on jackstands and put me in a set of dupont full body chem resist overalls (leftover from my mining days) and a full face mask.
2. Crawlered under car with garden hose and knocked off the thickest/easiest gunk.
3. Let dry, repeated process using fairly strong solution of oil eater. Let sit for an hour, hose off (what a pain getting into all of the nooks and crannys.
4. Repeat #3 two more times.
5. Next day (same outfit) carefully blast with self modified "short wand" power washer. Let dry.
5. Replaced all hose clamps on low pressure stuff (with oetiker clamps where possible).
6. Run car until drip appears in drip pan

I was expecting the worst, but when I crawlered back under the car, the only leak I saw was a drop of red on the banjo bolt on the bottom of the stearing gear! I set my torque wrench at 35 ft/lbs (spec per Bentley is 33) and went at it. The wrench moved maybe 5 degrees before it broke. Leak is gone!!

Knowing what I now know, I could have fixed that leak years ago with very little effort. Every time I looked at it, all I saw was years and years of crud from the regulator down. Oh well, at least now I have a nice clean undercarriage...
jimoreno

Post by jimoreno »

Starting to put everything back together for the rear suspension and fuel system refresh. Got the sub-frame from CEK (thanks!) as mine was really badly rusted and had a lot of flakes. The differential is from a 2001 Z3 and it was in great shape so I just cleaned up the outside, installed the new seals that I had already ordered and gave it two coats of 2K Eastwood Satin chassis black urethane paint. The fuel tank has two coats of POR-15 and then two coats of the same Eastwood 2K Satin chassis black. I'm going to drop off the swing arms tomorrow at the powder coater along with some small brackets and the rear sway bar./ I'm also powder coating the items that were originally yellow cadmium plating (sub-frame bushing hold plates and probably the caliper brackets). Have new rear wheel bearing, brake calipers, brake pads, brake rotors, brake hoses waiting to be installed (already installed the new parking brake cables as they were rusted badly). Pending are all of the sway bar bushings from PowerFlex (sub-frame are also PowerFlex). I'm having the differential cover sandblasted so I can put some satin clear on it (and hope that it stays clear longer!)