What did you do to your E28 today?

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
BMWCCA2

Re: What did you do to your E28 today?

Post by BMWCCA2 »

I drove mine to the baseball game.
UVA beat Richmond.
bronziti

Post by bronziti »

Got it up on the lift dropped the rusted exhaust. Starting rear subframe restoration.
N44RP

Post by N44RP »

willyv124 wrote: Jul 21, 2021 4:19 PM Finally got around to having a shop install an auto solutions short shift kit i had bought a couple years ago. Replaced the bushings/mounting points as well. Definitely a lot tighter now. It takes more force to get into into gear and also my existing shift knob keeps popping off. So I ordered a condor speed tall weighted shifter and now im eyeing a new shift/ebrake boot from renown. Excited to see how it will really feel once i get the new shift knob and im not worried about pulling the knob off while shifting.

Before: https://youtu.be/eZrO6YhM4d8
After: https://youtu.be/fo5gXIj3h94

Call me crazy, but I actually prefer the stock throw and action of these cars.
Even in my E46 M3 I had installed Ron’s (like 10% reduction) kit and found myself pulling it out for stock.

I just don’t like clicky, short, effort filled shifts.
willyv124

Post by willyv124 »

I actually didn't mind the effort or throw of the stock shifter either. I was mainly concerned about all the play in the shifter and was nervous about a full refresh without some "special" machined parts would not resolve it to the degree it is now. I did add a weighted condor shift knob which ends up making the effort similar to the regular shifter.

stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

My water pump started to leak pretty bad so I replaced it this week. I'm pretty sure it's the original one, so after 36 years and 220,000 miles that was a pretty good run. :)

Then, on the test drive I noticed my odometer has stopped counting...it's always something. When I got home I ordered some new gears from odometergears.com, and that will be the next thing I get to fix.
John in VA

Post by John in VA »

stuartinmn wrote: Jun 02, 2022 4:03 PMThen, on the test drive I noticed my odometer has stopped counting...it's always something. When I got home I ordered some new gears from odometergears.com, and that will be the next thing I get to fix.
Thanks for choosing Jeff's gears over the Craptastic ones!
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

It ended a few days ago, but,
great 2,400 mile roundtrip to Hot Springs and Vintage
in the new to us, for the 3rd time, Eli,
the '87 Diamantschwarz Metallic iS.
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

John in VA wrote: Jun 03, 2022 7:30 PM
stuartinmn wrote: Jun 02, 2022 4:03 PMThen, on the test drive I noticed my odometer has stopped counting...it's always something. When I got home I ordered some new gears from odometergears.com, and that will be the next thing I get to fix.
I ordered the gears on Thursday and they showed up in the mail today (Saturday.) I still have to actually install them, but kudos to Jeff for the super fast shipping.
topher800

Post by topher800 »

Last fall in a parking lot during a near miss, I laid into horn only to have some inaudible meep come out. Ordered new ones from Turner and 6 months of supply chain woes later new horns went in.
HayekFan

Post by HayekFan »

Attempted to replace the flywheel speed and position sensors to address a random no start issue. Got one done (position) but the other refused to come out of its hole in the bell housing. So later this week I'll try again with the car more jacked up so I can see things better and get a better grip. Also got my first door ding in my newish paint job, so now interested in PDR...
glowell222

Post by glowell222 »

Wasn't today, more like two weeks ago: finally got the trans back in the car after replacing the torque converter seal, along with a new CSB, new O2 sensor, new rear exhaust, new trans cooler lines, and had the wheels balanced and the suspension aligned.
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

I procrastinated for a few weeks, but I got tired of looking at the replacement odometer gears sitting here on my desk so I finally installed them today. It's really a pretty simple procedure, you just have to keep track of how the various gears come out and go back in to the speedo housing. I lost one or two hundred miles in the meantime, but since it already has ~220k miles on it that's not a big deal. :)
stuartinmn wrote: Jun 04, 2022 2:42 PM
John in VA wrote: Jun 03, 2022 7:30 PM
I ordered the gears on Thursday and they showed up in the mail today (Saturday.) I still have to actually install them, but kudos to Jeff for the super fast shipping.
iamcreepingdeath

Post by iamcreepingdeath »

Here is what I did to my E28 yesterday:

I drove it to Delano, MN for fireworks, locked the car (which I have never done before), and upon returning to my car discovered that I could not unlock the car again for some reason, so I smashed the rear window, cut myself a couple times, cleaned up the glass, and drove it home.

Dang it.
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

iamcreepingdeath wrote: Jul 05, 2022 11:57 AM Here is what I did to my E28 yesterday:

I drove it to Delano, MN for fireworks, locked the car (which I have never done before), and upon returning to my car discovered that I could not unlock the car again for some reason, so I smashed the rear window, cut myself a couple times, cleaned up the glass, and drove it home.

Dang it.
:shock:
alemac1

Post by alemac1 »

replaced all the clips on the door card outers. so now they all fit perfectly and i'm really happy about it haha!
austin8753

Post by austin8753 »

drove it all day Saturday, out to the Columbia Gorge via Hwy 35, and back home. really do enjoy that car.
Federico

Post by Federico »

Took my B28 head to the machine shop & they sent me some pics of the valves and seats.
OMG! No wonder it "missed a little" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

chilone

Post by chilone »

Last weekend I "rebuilt" my axles. Three of the four boots were torn so I completely disassembled, cleaned and inspected them. Only one grove in one race had a very small bit of pitting and the cages had very small dimples. With 361,000 miles on what I assume are the original axles, I'd say not too bad. Got 'em back together and installed and they feel totally smooth.

Last night, I monkeyed with my hood latches. They don't want to release, so I lubed them up and tightened the cable. They now sort of pop and I can get the hood open without having to have some hold the lever while I pull up on the hood. Any tips on how to get it functioning correctly?
John in VA

Post by John in VA »

chilone wrote: Aug 03, 2022 11:03 AMLast night, I monkeyed with my hood latches. They don't want to release, so I lubed them up and tightened the cable. They now sort of pop and I can get the hood open without having to have some hold the lever while I pull up on the hood. Any tips on how to get it functioning correctly?
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11743
Lube where the cables exit the sheaths as well as the latches. Make sure your interior handle is tight & pulling the cable. Adjust the cables at the latches if necessary - the cables stretch over the decades. Good luck!
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Federico wrote: Aug 03, 2022 9:17 AM Took my B28 head to the machine shop & they sent me some pics of the valves and seats.
OMG! No wonder it "missed a little" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Those are some nasty looking valves. Was it run for a looooong time with the valves way out of adjustment or did it have prior work and replacement valves?

They got a lot better over the years, but I knew a guy with a shop long ago and as he was pulling the head off a 735 he'd just bought he was mumbling about the head had been off before, they all had been off before...
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

the red e28 needed a new battery. shout out to costco, H6 battery 129 out the door, with a 3 year warranty, about 50 dollars cheaper than anywhere else I could see.
Federico

Post by Federico »

Mike W. wrote: Aug 03, 2022 10:59 PM Those are some nasty looking valves. Was it run for a looooong time with the valves way out of adjustment or did it have prior work and replacement valves?

They got a lot better over the years, but I knew a guy with a shop long ago and as he was pulling the head off a 735 he'd just bought he was mumbling about the head had been off before, they all had been off before...
According to the service records I got with the car, it has covered less than 150.000 km, and there's no records of the head being off. Plus the machine shop said the head looks unmolested.
It did sit for a long time. From about 1996 to 2013, when I bought it, it had covered about 7 to 9 thousand km.
Therefore, I believe what happened was that the valves just corroded away, the engine being started occasionally in the garage and being shunted, etc.
Also, the carbon deposits produced by the old seals probably created hot spots that didn't help the situation when I took the car out of its slumber.
All other internals look pristine, so it should run really sweet with the refreshed head.
HayekFan

Post by HayekFan »

New distributor cap and rotor. Solved an intermittent no-start and rough running issue that I had been chasing around.
chilone

Post by chilone »

John in VA wrote: Aug 03, 2022 2:30 PM
chilone wrote: Aug 03, 2022 11:03 AMLast night, I monkeyed with my hood latches. They don't want to release, so I lubed them up and tightened the cable. They now sort of pop and I can get the hood open without having to have some hold the lever while I pull up on the hood. Any tips on how to get it functioning correctly?
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11743
Lube where the cables exit the sheaths as well as the latches. Make sure your interior handle is tight & pulling the cable. Adjust the cables at the latches if necessary - the cables stretch over the decades. Good luck!
Thank you! :D
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

Just changed my wiper motor and was left disappointed as the motor is not the reason it blows a fuse when i turn it on full speed.