Looking for info on the Schnitzer S5 - New crappy pictures!

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
cgraff

Post by cgraff »

Jeremy wrote:Ben,

You and Justin need to form a "300 club".

Jeremy
hehe....my 294 cam isn't far off 300... lol. :-)
Ben

Post by Ben »

Went down there to pay for the rest of the car and pick up the title to register this bad boy. Decided to bring my camera and snag some terrible shots (I was tired from programming and proving a stupid part on our new 4-axis CNC Mill). I promise better pictures when I pick it up either tomorrow or Thursday.

Anyway....I found it interesting how they federalized the car with where the sidemarkers were placed. The doors were left un-manipulated as well, so no impact bars in the doors (apparently they just replaced them with US Doors, then put the original Euro ones right back on).

Here are some pictures, and the color is Arktisblau Metallic if you couldn't already tell.

Still gotta pull those stupid ///M badges off...
DRP535

Post by DRP535 »

What a strange looking coil it has.
Ben

Post by Ben »

DRP535 wrote:What a strange looking coil it has.
I said that too. Its of the "Accel" variety, and seems to work quite flawlessly so far.
Wiseguy

Post by Wiseguy »

Wow, another Euro Arktisblau car on the board.. except this time it might actually BE a fast NA one!

Wow, new concept!
Ben

Post by Ben »

:rofl:

My dad wants to retrofit S38 Throttle Bodies at "Some Point". Obviously it won't be anytime soon. :)
Wiseguy wrote:Wow, another Euro Arktisblau car on the board.. except this time it might actually BE a fast NA one!

Wow, new concept!
Wiseguy

Post by Wiseguy »

Ben wrote::rofl:

My dad wants to retrofit S38 Throttle Bodies at "Some Point". Obviously it won't be anytime soon. :)
Wiseguy wrote:Wow, another Euro Arktisblau car on the board.. except this time it might actually BE a fast NA one!

Wow, new concept!
Oh yeah? How about you.... oh fuck, do I really even WANT to start this war now?

We need to add a poll to this topic...
Ben

Post by Ben »

What poll options might those be? And WTH is wrong with S38 ITB's on an M30? Obviously the fabrication, but I'm sure the guy who fabbed up the plumbing for the Turbo M42 could handle this.
Wiseguy wrote:
Ben wrote::rofl:

Wow, new concept!
Oh yeah? How about you.... oh fuck, do I really even WANT to start this war now?

We need to add a poll to this topic...
Ted in T.O.

Post by Ted in T.O. »

Oh My! That car has to come up to Tedfest next summer Ben for sure. A long lost Tuner car! That is worth the money that you paid for it Ben. Good Luck in fixing it up to its original state.Keep us posted please! Ted in T.O. :shock:
Tim in N FL

Post by Tim in N FL »

Ben,
Thanks for posting the photos of this beauty. Congrats!
I'm looking forward to following your progress in bringing it back to par. It is the ONLY one I've ever seen stateside. 8) :clap:
Best,
Tim
Ben

Post by Ben »

Tim in N FL wrote:Ben,
Thanks for posting the photos of this beauty. Congrats!
I'm looking forward to following your progress in bringing it back to par. It is the ONLY one I've ever seen stateside. 8) :clap:
Best,
Tim
Thanks Tim!

I sure feel lucky, since the now PO said quite a few people were pissed that they missed out on the car.

The car really looks much worse in person, but a good cleaning inside and out would improve it alot. But not the awful clearcoat peel. :laugh:

Anyway, if I make it down to V@V in 2008, I would be happy to let you take her for a test drive. This car especially with low miles drives amazing.

Best,
Ben
Justin_FL
MyE28 IT Guru
MyE28 IT Guru

Post by Justin_FL »

Here are some really old pictures of the car, from 1999 (guessing by the file name):

I honestly don't remember where these came from, but there they are. I thought it was BMWJustin's Hartge H5S before restoration (color, CT plates, BBS RA wheels, etc) but that is apparently not the case!
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

DRP535 wrote:What a strange looking coil it has.
It's not strange-looking if you've spent any time around hot rods or muscle cars. Does this one look strange too? ;) (I have this one on my '57 Chevy)

Ben

Post by Ben »

Justin,

That's so cool that you found those pictures, and thanks for posting them. Maybe they came from an online car ad, considering the car was sold in '99 to the 2nd (and previous) owner.

Thanks,
Ben
cgraff

Post by cgraff »

Just my $0.02:

This is a car worth saving, if it's a true documented Schnitzer, which I can only assume it is.

1. You'll want to do a full blown restoration of the body. You'll want to remove *all* the trim, bumpers, windows, door and window seals, trunk, interior, etc. Recover the seats, go through the interior and make sure it's up to snuff. When it's in for paint, have the front jacking points reweled/reinforced; and you might as well add in the sway bar reinforcements as well while you're in there. It's a big, expensive job, but necessary given the rust you've taken pictures of.

2. Once you complete that, you'll probably want to go through it mechanically from the suspension to the drivetrain. Replace any worn parts and put it all right.

I know that sounds like a lot (it is, I can see a restoration of the above easily going north of $10k). But the car will be spectacular when it's done, and it'll be 'done right'.

3. I'm also curious about that AC line that works it's way above the air filter cannister. It's not the same as the M5 or the 535i US one. Also, you have an M5 coolant expansion tank. Your upper rad hose is also not the E28 one.

-Chris
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

Neat car. It's interesting to compare euro cars to see how they were modified to make it through the Federalization process when they were brought into the US - it seems like no two cars were done exactly the same.

Did this car have factory a/c or is it aftermarket? That may explain the odd routing of the coolant line Chris mentioned.
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

By the way, that's an Accel Super Coil.

Jeremy
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Jeremy »

cgraff wrote:3. I'm also curious about that AC line that works it's way above the air filter cannister. It's not the same as the M5 or the 535i US one. Also, you have an M5 coolant expansion tank. Your upper rad hose is also not the E28 one.

-Chris
Looking at, I'm pretty sure that's the 533i factory system. I think they lifted the line so the front would clear that huge coil. I just noticed that the car has factory ABS, very cool for an 83.

What intrigues me is the box in front of the condensor and aux fan. Any idea what that is, Ben?

Oh, and Chris, in 83 that would've been a 528e expansion tank. ;)

Jeremy
cgraff

Post by cgraff »

Jeremy wrote:
cgraff wrote:3. I'm also curious about that AC line that works it's way above the air filter cannister. It's not the same as the M5 or the 535i US one. Also, you have an M5 coolant expansion tank. Your upper rad hose is also not the E28 one.

-Chris
Looking at, I'm pretty sure that's the 533i factory system. I think they lifted the line so the front would clear that huge coil. I just noticed that the car has factory ABS, very cool for an 83.

What intrigues me is the box in front of the condensor and aux fan. Any idea what that is, Ben?

Oh, and Chris, in 83 that would've been a 528e expansion tank. ;)

Jeremy
uuuhh...no. take a look:

http://www.mye28.com/tech/rods_pages/id8.html

The 528e tank sits on the opposite side of the engine bay and has the overflow from the rad on the other side of the tank (near the cap) vs the M5 one (which has it on the far side from the cap).

-Chris
Ben

Post by Ben »

Jeremy,

That's the Oil Cooler. The lines run to the oil filter/canister.

Ben
Wiseguy

Post by Wiseguy »

OK, now I gotta see this thing...
alpinass

Another German tuner from the 80's.

Post by alpinass »

Schnitzer competed with ALPINA & HARTGE back in the day.
Hartge had the H5S, H5SP.....ALPINA had the B9, B10 and the monster B7/B7S(E12). The ALPINA & Hartge catalogs offered diffenrt performance packages and ungrades. They all used the base 528i - being lighter and cheaper to modify.

They show a picture of their E28 and E30 in the E28 -5series book- the one with the black cover.....

I had a Hartge color catalog that Justin now has - Hartge offered everything under the sun. BMP was an authorized USA dealer.

ALPINA had - Miller & Norburn on the Easy coast.
West coast was Mike Ditel ( famous for the E21 345i recently restored to the tune of 60K) and KSK - Susan (Ripoff NOW!).
jcmass

Congrats

Post by jcmass »

Congrats again. That car is awesome. I'm getting more and more pissed that I didn't move on it quicker. I would be very happy to sink obscene amounts of money into that car.

Good luck.
cgraff

Post by cgraff »

Wiseguy wrote:OK, now I gotta see this thing...
Same here.

-Chris
mogie

Post by mogie »

Hey Ben are you driving that thing or is it kept at your house for now? I was going to say bring it to work i'd love to swing by at some point and take a peek.