Why are the center consoles different?

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
Karl Grau

Re: Why are the center consoles different?

Post by Karl Grau »

I love the fact that the OP of this thread is now the recognized expert of all things e28. The Oracle of the Desert.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Karl Grau wrote: Oct 28, 2020 9:37 PM I love the fact that the OP of this thread is now the recognized expert of all things e28. The Oracle of the Desert.
:laugh: Yep, Chris isn't the young wet behind the ears kid he was when he started here.
e12euro

Re:

Post by e12euro »

Rich Euro M5 wrote: Jan 27, 2007 8:56 AM Duke is correct about the configuration of the after market A/C vs OE BMW. Here's the reason. BMW offered A/C only as an option in ECE, however if you didn't order A/C originally you had two options to to upgrade the A/C at a later date. You could install the A/C Retrofit Kit available from BMW which is the factory A/C system we are all familiar with, or you could install an aftermarket system such as the Davia system.

Rich
The A/C Retrofit Kit started with the e12. In the e12 handbook it says you can have factory BMW a/c fitted at any time, not just when the car is new. So I guess dealers would fit it. Must have been a rare occurence to do it that way, rather than just order it when buying a new car. :?
JohnH

Post by JohnH »

The official retrofit eba is available here http://www.ow.no/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=34