How are we feeling about Üro these days?

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
Zeta

How are we feeling about Üro these days?

Post by Zeta »

I’m well aware that the Üro brand has a controversial reputation. In the past there’s been many reports of crap quality parts from them, and a general sense of “you get what you pay for” with their enticingly inexpensive parts.

However, recently, it seems like there have been more mixed reviews of the brand. Everyone seems to like their trunk seal: I installed one five years ago and haven’t had any problems, others have reported similar results. I’m quite satisfied with their hood struts too. In general, there seem to be fewer negative reviews of their parts over the last 5 years or so. Still, I’m hesitant to buy really important parts from them.

I noticed (and I’m sure I’m not the only one) that control arms are getting harder to come by from the more reputable brand. From the usual parts supply websites (I checked ECS, Pelican, and FCP Euro) upper control arms are only available from Üro, while Lemförder are either NLA or backordered indefinitely. Other brands like Meyle and Febi-Bilstein are also NLA. Anyway, I figured I’d put out a feeler cause I want to give Pendleton a full suspension and steering refresh as my next major project. I bought Meyle lowers, but I haven’t bought uppers yet. Has anyone used Üro control arms in the last five years or so, and if so, how did they turn out? I’m curious to know whether the lack of complaints recently is due to improved quality or because the number of times people have said stuff like “I installed Üro arms in 2012 and they failed within a week!” has scared everyone away from them.
Mike W.

Re: How are we feeling about Üro these days?

Post by Mike W. »

Good question, I know they've made some attempts on E39 window regulators which are a problem child for that chassis. Not sure the results, but...

They might be good on rubber. I bought a windshield rubber from them ~2007 for an E12. Put it in and it was still soft and supple and sealing when I sold it shortly before Covid. I feel I do know how to do a windshield, but if it was hard, cracking and shrinking, you can't fix that. Sample of one, it would be nice if they have gotten their act together and started putting out decent parts.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Mike W. wrote: Jun 05, 2023 12:49 AMThey might be good on rubber. I bought a windshield rubber from them ~2007 for an E12. Put it in and it was still soft and supple and sealing when I sold it shortly before Covid. I feel I do know how to do a windshield, but if it was hard, cracking and shrinking, you can't fix that.
They are the maker of choice for trunk lid gaskets, even out performing the BMW part.
Karl Grau

Post by Karl Grau »

Mike W. wrote: Jun 05, 2023 12:49 AM Good question, I know they've made some attempts on E39 window regulators which are a problem child for that chassis. Not sure the results
I can vouch for their e39 window regulators. They use bronze pully/bearings vs the stock plastic and are waaaay cheaper than OEM. They also have aluminum pulleys/idlers for the M54 engine which I think are also an upgrade over OEM.
Some URO products are approved by the Oracle of the Desert. :dunno:
HayekFan

Post by HayekFan »

vinceg101 wrote: Jun 05, 2023 12:06 PM
Mike W. wrote: Jun 05, 2023 12:49 AMThey might be good on rubber. I bought a windshield rubber from them ~2007 for an E12. Put it in and it was still soft and supple and sealing when I sold it shortly before Covid. I feel I do know how to do a windshield, but if it was hard, cracking and shrinking, you can't fix that.
They are the maker of choice for trunk lid gaskets, even out performing the BMW part.
Yep, the BMW trunk gasket I installed 3 years ago started splitting at the joints almost immediately. Probably should have gone with the URO.

OTOH, a replacement driveshaft I bought a few years ago came with a URO center bearing whose rubber suspension was disconcertingly compliant -- very floppy and loose feeling. I replaced it with a much firmer feeling Febi center bearing before doing the install and am glad I did based on others' experiences with the URO.

So I guess it depends on the particular part to some extent. Nowadays it seems like parts can be coming out of a lot of different factories even under the same name.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

HayekFan wrote: Jun 10, 2023 5:08 PM Nowadays it seems like parts can be coming out of a lot of different factories even under the same name.
I'm more concerned about the same parts coming out of the same factory under different names. But the same parts. So you buy what you think, or what was, a good aftermarket brand and it turns out they're now the same POS as a low end name. They just cost more. :brickwall:
turbodan

Post by turbodan »

Mike W. wrote: Jun 10, 2023 11:11 PM
HayekFan wrote: Jun 10, 2023 5:08 PM Nowadays it seems like parts can be coming out of a lot of different factories even under the same name.
I'm more concerned about the same parts coming out of the same factory under different names. But the same parts. So you buy what you think, or what was, a good aftermarket brand and it turns out they're now the same POS as a low end name. They just cost more. :brickwall:
This is the disconcerting new reality for replacement parts. Even at the dealer I've gotten cheap crap for top dollar. The radiator I recently purchased for the turbo 528 is made in China and maybe half the quality of the original. 500 bucks.
austin8753

Post by austin8753 »

turbodan wrote: Jun 15, 2023 7:32 PM
Mike W. wrote: Jun 10, 2023 11:11 PM

This is the disconcerting new reality for replacement parts. Even at the dealer I've gotten cheap crap for top dollar. The radiator I recently purchased for the turbo 528 is made in China and maybe half the quality of the original. 500 bucks.
i'm surprised you can even get a 528e radiator, they were NLA for a really long time. i ordered an e36 m3 radiator at the dealer, a year or so ago, and got a reboxed chinese CSF radiator, with the goddamn CSF part number still on the bottom, and the BMW part tag was proudly stamped "Made in China" - for a list price of $420. nothing surprises me anymore. grrrr
michaeloswald

Post by michaeloswald »

Hi, I was curious what kind of glue or sealant did you use to attach the rubber seal around the trunk? Thanks, Michael
John in VA

Post by John in VA »

michaeloswald wrote: Aug 14, 2023 10:49 PMHi, I was curious what kind of glue or sealant did you use to attach the rubber seal around the trunk? Thanks, Michael
3M Black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive or DAP/Weldwood Gel Formula Contact Cement work well. Clean the mold release off with 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner & scuff the surface a bit to help adhesion. Good luck!
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Do not use any sort of latex or water based adhesive. I tried that many years ago on an E21 and I think it rained overnight, maybe just a heavy dew. It all ran out, just dissolved. The good part is it was easy cleanup.
RoyW

Post by RoyW »

Their old door seals for 2002 suck... too long, to thick. to dense!

-RoyW
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

RoyW wrote: Oct 09, 2023 7:40 AM Their old door seals for 2002 suck... too long, to thick. to dense!

-RoyW
Same with what BMW supplied in recent history. Even their own restorations had doors that wouldn't close all the way, or at best were very difficult to shut. Has any of that changed today, now that used 2002s are bringing Porsche 356 money? :dunno:
austin8753

Post by austin8753 »

BMWCCA2 wrote: Oct 10, 2023 8:34 AM
RoyW wrote: Oct 09, 2023 7:40 AM Their old door seals for 2002 suck... too long, to thick. to dense!

-RoyW
Same with what BMW supplied in recent history. Even their own restorations had doors that wouldn't close all the way, or at best were very difficult to shut. Has any of that changed today, now that used 2002s are bringing Porsche 356 money? :dunno:
highly doubt it. "you get what you get, be thankful you can get anything" seems to be BMWs attitude towards all this old stuff. really really really pisses me off.