I've got a '86 535i I've had for 26 years.

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
PDickyG

I've got a '86 535i I've had for 26 years.

Post by PDickyG »

I've spent a fortune on it. I fix everything and anything that pops up. It's in great shape even w 334K. Why I'm posting: some parts are getting hard or impossible to find. Is it the end of the road for e28s? Must I consider an e90?
1st 5er

Re: I've got a '86 535i I've had for 26 years.

Post by 1st 5er »

No.
Only if you have another fortune to spend,
as I'm of the opinion that e90s are disposables.
Zeta

Post by Zeta »

What parts in particular are you referring to? The most trouble I had getting parts for mine was with the engine mounts recently, which I had to buy from an eBay seller rather than one of the usual suspects. Still, not a big deal. Everything else has been easily available from ECS Tuning, Pelican Parts, or FCP Euro. By comparison I think it’s significantly harder to find quality parts for my ‘97 Tacoma or my fiancé’s Infiniti QX4. For the e28s, we’re lucky to have quality aftermarket parts available from multiple manufacturers, and the sites I previously mention that make them extremely easy to find. With my other cars it’s pretty much a choice between overpriced dealer parts that are at times difficult to source, or really suspiciously cheap substitutes from China.

With e28s continuing to appreciate and become more sought after, I highly doubt that parts overall will become less available anytime soon. I would chalk up any temporary shortages to supply chain issues.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

I don't know how the other German car companies are at supplying parts for long out-of-production cars but I don't think BMW has stepped up to the plate as well as they could. Sure a lot of the NLA parts would only need a short run to supply demand causing high prices and it doesn't seem BMW has decided to do that. Other parts and BMW is counting on the aftermarket to fill in the supply holes. But it would be nice to see some production of long life parts that folks are looking for now like the window guides, b-pillar covers and such. But I look at my b-pillar cover and figure I can repair and recover it if the need arises.
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

On the contrary I'd say BMW has done a pretty good job of supporting parts for our cars. Sure, there are a lot of things that are NLA, but the fact any parts at all can be purchased for 30+ year old cars is unusual. Try ordering anything for a car that old from your local GM or Ford dealership.

I do worry about the day when something breaks on my car and a replacement part just isn't available anymore, but I intend to keep on driving it until that happens.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

I don't remember the exact phrasing, but our friend Gadget who is actually a Lincoln guy, but has one with that came with a BMW td engine has said, the only parts he doesn't have a problem finding for his Lincoln are the BMW ones.

That said, trim and detail parts are somewhat more difficult these days. Hard parts are generally available, with some increasing shortages, but they eventually seem to resolve themselves, for the most part.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

stuartinmn wrote: May 13, 2023 10:52 PM Try ordering anything for a car that old from your local GM or Ford dealership.
I specifically compared BMW to the other German brands. Know that others are completely different.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Mike W. wrote: May 13, 2023 11:07 PM our friend Gadget who is actually a Lincoln guy, but has one with that came with a BMW td engine
Yes, interesting hearing that Lincoln start up after sitting during our audio gigs here. It takes a couple minutes to warm up and quiet down a bit. Maybe I can hitch a ride to the May 20th gig if I decide to go. My usual carpool to that even isn't able to go and riding in Lincoln Luxury, the Town Car or Continental would be cool
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

Mike W. wrote: May 13, 2023 11:07 PM I don't remember the exact phrasing, but our friend Gadget who is actually a Lincoln guy, but has one with that came with a BMW td engine has said, the only parts he doesn't have a problem finding for his Lincoln are the BMW ones.
quite true. The only other parts I can usually get also happen to fit Mustangs but thats not a hard rule. Rear brake calipers and master cylinders can't be had, the only Mustang that used them was the 84-86 SVO. I have a set of junkyard calipers and seals are available for the calipers. Have a master cylinder that was new 20+ years ago and is still in the box, but seals are not available for that.

Older cars just become more difficult to live with after a while. I don't daily any of mine for that reason but I'm not quite willing to give up and just buy a boring disposable transportation unit for my only means of getting around either. I have a 12 year old truck that serves that purpose and its just boring to drive. I don't hate it but I don't love it either.