Any money friendly tools (ratchets) that arent craftsman?

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
Bimmerguy2002

Any money friendly tools (ratchets) that arent craftsman?

Post by Bimmerguy2002 »

For junkyards, DIY, and helping others, not professional grade (snap-on, matco, etc), what are the best brands to get nowadays?
I got new 1/4" and 3/8" drive craftsman ratchets a couple years ago, they are all chinese junk that were sloppy and missing sometimes when ratcheting, or failing to lock and im over it. Lowes will not replace tools without receipts, so taking old craftsman stuff into sears is a thing of the past here so i need all new ratchets and need to replace missing wrenches that ive lost or were broken.
Money isnt a big deal, but i have no need for high end professional grade and they get casual use.
austin8753

Re: Any money friendly tools (ratchets) that arent craftsman?

Post by austin8753 »

The "Icon" brand from Harbor Freight are particularly decent, for the money, especially. Worth looking into.

Additionally, you could look for some deals on used Snap On/Mac/Matco stuff on eBay or FB Marketplace, since the lifetime warranty is valid, no matter who bought it, or when.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Once Craftsman went offshore, it’s worthless not that their teardrop ratchets are any good.

The HF stuff even the Pittsburgh pro stuff has really taken a step up. My main 3/8” ratchet is a nice swivel head job lots of teef and it’s held up way better than any Craftsman one I’ve had. I’ve got some nice snap-on stuff too but I generally use the HF stuff.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Interesting thread and question. While over the years I've broken more than my share of Craftsman tools, they were all in the Sears days, so while profoundly inconvenient at times, not a total loss. :brickwall:

However, while I share Matt's pain, cheap tools are so much better today they they used to be. In the 70s and into the 80s, cheap sockets/ratchets were oh so cheap. I don't know how many I broke, many. I even welded up sockets to be able to reuse them for a while. But even that didn't work when they just plain stripped out because the metal was soft. Japan and Taiwan origin, gawd they were awful. Drill bits, I bought one set that was dull at new, sharpened up the 1/8 bit to drill out an aluminum pop rivet and once it bit it straightened itself out, it was no longer a twist drill, it was a straight fluted bit. Aluminum! So things are better now. Of course Snap On was always there, at least as long as I can remember, but at prices out of this world, so irrelevant.

Harbor Freight catches their share of heat, and some of the stuff is junk, but overall their quality doesn't seem that bad. Of course as their prices are going up, dramatically it seems to me, their cost advantage goes down. Amazon to the rescue. I bet there's a dozen on there that are HF quality or better, for less, but which ones, and returns? Ah, life in the new millennium, for better and worse.

I'll probably be posting the same thing about a floor jack soon, but that's another thread. :laugh:
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

Happy to say I have two HF aluminum jacks and find them wonderful for the price and just fine regardless of price. I did buy a set of large combination wrenches from them just to have in another tool box and they work fine, too. My big (old) box has mostly SnapOn or Mac but my oldest ratchet handle which my parents gave me for Christmas probably over 50-years ago is an S-K which has never failed and has nice fine splines. I still have the metal box the set came in. Don't know about their current quality. My favorite tool is probably a 1/4-drive SnapOn ratchet. Light, strong, and just won't die. I've never handled a 1/4 ratchet that felt the same.

I have several ratcheting combination wrenches from Snap-On to Gear-Wrench, to real cheap, and they all seem near equal in function.
:dunno:
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

I'm partial to the Gearwrench brand, and Norther Tool's house brand is quite good for the price. For more expensive stuff, I like SK.
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

There's a big box full of Craftsman in the garage. Mostly due to my age and the tools availability and warranty when I was younger.

I tried HF in their early days, and found their dog didn't hunt for long, especially under hard use.

These days I've got several HF ratchets, had to have more because 3 tool boxes (the garage biggie, the large travel box, and the smaller emergency short trip box), and have been pleasantly surprised with the feel and function. I especially like the extendable handle on the 1/2" and 3/8" model. They've come in handy on a few hard to reach and/or where extra torque is needed and a cheater pipe won't work.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

I find myself in agreement with most every post here: general consensus is HF seems to be the go-to supplier for mid-level, non-professional hand tools these days (sockets, socket wrenches, and some combo wrenches).

I'm with Mike: I remember the sea of crap tools, most acquired from flea markets, swap meets and bargain-bins in the '80's and most from Taiwan. Horrible consistency and manufacturing; barley able to meet even the lightest demands. But cheap (in every sense). Heck I still have an original socket set from my teens back then; I've kept it out of nostalgia more than anything as I wouldn't dare use any of it today.

I too remember the 'early days' of HF: very cheap Chinese fare at reduced prices that were 1-2 time use tools. I have a set of bar clamps I bought 15 or so years ago that were a fraction of the price of Jorgensen's. The much lower price and seemingly okay quality lured me in because I needed to fill out my clamp rack in my shop. Most of them still have the tags on them. Used one for the first time recently and it snapped the top head in half. I am reminded of what someone said describing walking into any HF "I wonder if this is what China smells like?" (I think it was Kohler that said that).
Nowadays, it is a different story with their hand tools as they have focused on raising their game to be a real competitor in the mid-level market. (I'm with Sherman: I have one of those extendable 1/2" socket wrenches that is my go-to tool for big work. I reach for it vs. my Craftsman every time. Their swivel heads are great also.)

Not being a professional mechanic whose livelihood depends on performance, accuracy and production (and my age also), Craftsman has been absolutely fine for my needs. I filled my boxes (also vintage Craftsman btw) with the older, US made versions but have also filled it out with SK, Williams and yes HF as needed. I also have bought quality Klein pliers and screwdrivers as well. I did invest in a trio of quality torque wrenches though since I wanted the accuracy (1/2" high torque Matco, 3/8" MAC, and 1/4" Snap-On). Both the HF and Craftsman versions I had failed profoundly (the Craftsman well after Sears went belly-up so no replacement there). But my trio are old and used and even though the Matco was virtually new when I got it, it has since malfunctioned as it doesn't 'click' anymore just after moderate use; time to send it to someone (not unlike higher end cars needing maintenance, so do high quality tools). I paid to have my 3/8" calibrated so this had to be factored into the sale cost of the tool (an ebay find from a pawn shop IIRC).

I have a HF floor jack (I have several, but one in particular) that is an absolute gem: a long reach, high lift heavy duty older beast of a jack (in the traditional orange & white Pittsburgh livery) that I cannot replace even from the new HF. It has been the workhorse in my shop and will be saddened the day it stops working.

So in short: SK; Williams (mostly sockets); don't see anything wrong with Craftsman sockets, combo hand wrenches, flare wrenches and screwdrivers; HF for socket wrenches; GearWrench for specialty hand wrenches (long handled combos, offsets, butterfly, swivel ratcheting combos, etc.); Klein screwdrivers, pliers and wire tools; Snap-on/MAC/Matco for torque wrenches (older, click-style, not sure what digital versions are any good).
LeiseyJr

Post by LeiseyJr »

I love my Icon 1/4 inch flex head ratchet. Haven't been able to break it yet. My 3/8ths craftsman flex head I did break some teeth on but still babying it along. The local HF is always out of stock for the 3/8ths everytime I am there.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

I like my SK ratchets, can often find those used for cheap because its not one of the more familiar brands.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Most of my hand tools are Proto (lucked out getting these, didn't pay near full price), rest is mostly dewalt or kobalt, both of which work well. The only HF Icon stuff I have is one set of long reach ratcheting wrenches, which are much better than old HF and very useful when you need them. For ratchets specifically, I bought a set from Wera - on the pricer end of non-professional but way nicer than anything else I've used.
Foonfer

Post by Foonfer »

the fanciest Snap-On is no match for a standard compressed-air-driven tool - all torque, zero force perpendicular to the fastener's longitudinal axis.

that said, and suffering from chronic "Snap-On taste, Home Depot budget" myself, I have to say that the wrenches you can buy these days from Home Depot, Lowe's or Autozone have evolved significantly over the past few years. "Made in China" is not synonymous with "guaranteed garbage" anymore - who you are buying from can make a huge difference. The problem with those guys is you rarely can buy "one long-neck 13mm socket", you have to purchase the whole set.

Also, I'm convinced that the best tool is the one you have in your garage on a Saturday at 10pm and you know exactly how to use it and what are its limitations.

One of the most useful tools ever is the VISE-GRIP locking pliers.

and now I'm all over the WERA tools, that's quite a find...
Notae30

Post by Notae30 »

Bimmerguy2002 wrote: Mar 09, 2023 3:37 PM For junkyards, DIY, and helping others, not professional grade (snap-on, matco, etc), what are the best brands to get nowadays?
I got new 1/4" and 3/8" drive craftsman ratchets a couple years ago, they are all chinese junk that were sloppy and missing sometimes when ratcheting, or failing to lock and im over it. Lowes will not replace tools without receipts, so taking old craftsman stuff into sears is a thing of the past here so i need all new ratchets and need to replace missing wrenches that ive lost or were broken.
Money isnt a big deal, but i have no need for high end professional grade and they get casual use.
harbor freights icon stuff isnt to bad with a lifetime warranty. but their is some snapon things that will make your life 1000x easier. digital torque wrench from snap on is the best thing in the world. same with there 1/2 cordless impact.
jhh925

Post by jhh925 »

Lots of good responses here. Let me add another: For ratchets, regular sockets, impact sockets, allen & Torx bits & extensions, I love love love Tekton. Quality & reliability is really exceptional for the price. Fast shipping and they have a very good warranty that's easy to use. I also really like their socket rail system.
Karl Grau

Post by Karl Grau »

After thinking about it for 10-15 years, I bought a new tool box. I had been using a crappy upper and lower no-name brand that I bought in the '90s and 2nd upper and lower Craftsman units. The Craftsman lower was one my Dad bought in the '70s and is pretty rough.
After doing a lot of research, I ended up with U.S. General brand from Harbor Fright. I have to say that I agree that HF has stepped up their game over the last several years and these things are built like a brick $hit house. The upper and lower weigh 320lbs together before any tools have been added (I had to have the neighbor kid help lift the upper section onto the lower).
So if you're looking for new tool boxes, don't rule out U.S. General just because it's from Harbor Freight.

I think I'm going to break tradition and not put any stickers on it. In fact, I may de-badge all the U.S. General stuff too.

Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Karl Grau wrote: Apr 03, 2023 8:52 PM I think I'm going to break tradition and not put any stickers on it. In fact, I may de-badge all the U.S. General stuff too.
Stickers are for amateurs. Put a trunk badge on it.

wkohler

Post by wkohler »

That’s not ///M enough, Mike.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

wkohler wrote: Apr 06, 2023 10:52 PM That’s not ///M enough, Mike.
No, the ///M is for Monitors.