You cannot make another post so soon after your last

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
Mike W.

You cannot make another post so soon after your last

Post by Mike W. »

While I appreciate Jeremy, Justin, AKA Catalyst and anyone else doing the heavy lifting keeping Mye28 running, I do none the less have a frustration. Maybe I'm typing faster than I used to, but I kind of doubt it. Something's changed. I'm regularly getting the You cannot make another post so soon after your last lately and I never did before? Of course I think it's too short, but even if it isn't, just how long is the time out? And was there a problem, or just it seemed like a good idea?

Again, thanks for the hard work from the people who keep this place running.
1st 5er

Re: You cannot make another post so soon after your last

Post by 1st 5er »

Same on occasion.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Gotta learn to make your long posts after a short one. I've run into that recently and the time seemed rather long. Maybe someone bumped the switch or it changed with an automatic update.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Blue Shadow wrote: Feb 24, 2023 9:01 PM Gotta learn to make your long posts after a short one.
Makes sense, but I just kind of look at things, most I don't even think about replying to, and those I do, some are very short, others take 20 minutes, but I don't plan it, it's just kind of as it comes.

While I may whine more than others, at least it's good to see I'm not alone.
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

well Mike, with all due respect, 26,000 posts? Not sure the momentary lock out has affected much. :D
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

I didn’t make a post for like 8 months and got the same message. :D
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

The time limit isn't all that long - I think just 60 seconds. Doesn't seem like much of a hardship.
I believe it's in place to try to prevent multiple posts from spammers, so I'm okay with it.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

In all seriousness the only time it triggered it for me was when I replied to 3-4 PMs in a row. Otherwise that’s it.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

stuartinmn wrote: Feb 27, 2023 3:14 PM The time limit isn't all that long - I think just 60 seconds. Doesn't seem like much of a hardship.
I believe it's in place to try to prevent multiple posts from spammers, so I'm okay with it.
It seems like it's 3-5 minutes, but it may not be that long.

Maybe there's stuff going on behind the scenes I don't know about, but while we do have some problem with spammers, it seems in general they only make a couple of posts and don't try to blanket the board.
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

I don't see spammers very often either, but a) I'm not watching the board continuously so the moderators may be deleting them before I have a chance to see them, and b) it may be proof that whatever measures are being taken to prevent them are working.
cek

Post by cek »

This is new and it’s clearly broken.

Frustrating.
Justin_FL
MyE28 IT Guru
MyE28 IT Guru

Post by Justin_FL »

Changed it about 2.5 months ago to 120 seconds because there was a rash of double postings... definitely not 5 minutes or 20 minutes!

I set it back to 30 seconds and will monitor for double posts. I think it's because people use the back button after submitting and maybe some browsers or user error resubmits the form.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Thanks Justin!

Double posts can be weird. At work years ago now, sometimes it would happen and there was no back button involved, I would post, hit submit and when it came up there would be a double. Now that IT dept was so screwed up and cranked down no telling what was going on, but at least then it would just happen. Only at work.

Thanks again, I knew it probably wasn't as long as it seemed, but it seemed to be forever.