St. Paddy’s Day 2023 San Diego, CA 3/17-18

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
wkohler

St. Paddy’s Day 2023 San Diego, CA 3/17-18

Post by wkohler »

Yes, it’s happening! Yes, I had to create a new password. :x No I don’t have all the info, but here’s enough to get started. I’ll fill in the details as I get them so watch this space.

If you haven’t been to this event before, ask anyone who has and they’ll tell you to stop shouting at them and then tell you what a great time it is.

Friday 3/17 (actually St. Patrick’s Day - weird)
Photopark has offered to host Friday evening. He’s located in a really good part of Escondido. If you are interested in attending, please RSVP to Photopark.

Saturday 3/18 (day after St. Patrick’s Day - crazy!)
Show up at the boat ramp trailer parking lot at Mission Bay off Claremont Dr and the 5 (it’s to the west of the freeway, which is mind blowing). We will hang out here until either we are kicked out or it’s time to move on to the next place. Last year we weren’t hassled. Was nice!

Usually most roll into between 9 and 10am. But others will likely be there earlier.
In case you're trying to enter an address into Google Maps and are too lazy to look it up, use this address (it's the EV charger in the Boat Trailer Parking Lot): 2688 E Mission Bay Dr, San Diego, CA 92109

Carl Nelson has again offered La Jolla Independent for Saturday’s afternoon festivities. He did the same last year and it was a lot of fun, so thank you again to Carl and the crew for offering the same this year. if you get the chance, make sure you express your appreciation for supporting our community! I don't think there's really a definite time here as it's somewhat dependent on when we leave the bay.

Please bring some cash to help offset the costs incurred to provide food/hospitality on both Friday and Saturday. There will be a box at each respective location. People have been generous in past years. The generosity of our hosts should not go unnoticed!

I’m all out of clothes. Any chance I could buy a shirt from you? I’m not allowed into certain establishments.

Odd question, but yes! There will be t-shirts available for 2023. Info and a thread with ordering information can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=159715 There are a limited number available so reserve your collectible souvenir today!!

Looking forward to seeing you in March in San Diego!
Last edited by wkohler on Mar 17, 2023 2:09 PM, edited 4 times in total.
vinceg101

Re: St. Paddy’s Day 2023 San Diego, CA 3/17-18

Post by vinceg101 »

Yes, indeed Virginia, there is a Lucky Leprechaun!
Thank you to Carl Nelson for hosting our sorry butts again this year. Those who were there last year will remember how generous Carl and his crew is to the invading masses; he truly is foundational member of the BMW community and should be celebrated.
To anyone new to this event, it's been going on now for 23(?) years with a small 24 month break in there recently and has undergone some adjustments over time, but at its' heart it still has the same purpose: to celebrate the camaraderie and spirit of the local BMW community and, by extension, all of the Western community. We even get many returnees from all over the country and Europe (well the Netherlands at least).
To those of you who know this event and have attended regularly in the past, there is nothing more than I can say except come on down, again.

You can see last year's event photos and thread here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=157776&hilit=la+jolla+independent

To those in the LA/OC area, I will be driving down Friday 3/17, leaving about mid-morning. Anyone wanting to tag along (safety in numbers, you know), reach out and we will work out the details. More on that posted here as they develop.

We even have someone already on their way! Of course he's driving an M20B20 so he *might* make it in time...

Oh, and

*GUMBALL*
Last edited by vinceg101 on Feb 09, 2023 8:57 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Ricky535

Post by Ricky535 »

Crack chicken
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Ricky535 wrote: Feb 09, 2023 8:34 PM Crack chicken
😍
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

wkohler wrote: Feb 09, 2023 8:35 PM
Ricky535 wrote: Feb 09, 2023 8:34 PM Crack chicken
😍
I hope to make it. But I've got to find and try that Crack Chicken I keep hearing about. Now I'm not a big Chicken fan, but if it's half as good as claimed, I've got to try it. Just don't tell me it's wings. There's no friggin' meat on wings to eat.
kojo96

Post by kojo96 »

Mike W. wrote: Feb 09, 2023 11:28 PM
wkohler wrote: Feb 09, 2023 8:35 PM

😍
I hope to make it. But I've got to find and try that Crack Chicken I keep hearing about. Now I'm not a big Chicken fan, but if it's half as good as claimed, I've got to try it. Just don't tell me it's wings. There's no friggin' meat on wings to eat.
It's wings and feet. Soooo good, usually near the end of the pan fights tend to break out and the feet are used to claw the others away.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

kojo96 wrote: Feb 10, 2023 1:22 AM
Mike W. wrote: Feb 09, 2023 11:28 PM

It's wings and feet. Soooo good, usually near the end of the pan fights tend to break out and the feet are used to claw the others away.
I proudly wear a few scars from past years.
John SCB

Post by John SCB »

vinceg101 wrote: Feb 10, 2023 12:49 PM I proudly wear a few scars from past years.
Like you, my esophagus is permanently scarred. Crack Chicken is the only substance I've ever been seriously addicted to. It's delicious. Please proceed with caution. Oh well, let's party!
ldsbeaker

Post by ldsbeaker »

Wahoo! See ya'll there.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Man, what's going on? Usually there's a bunch of activity on this, and nothing in almost 2 weeks now? Makin' reservations now, hopefully it's a go.

I am interested in who from Mass is coming in a 520i. Unless it's our guy from Slicktop City with a new decontented E28. The driver does kind of fill it up from the looks of things and I do see palm trees, which IIRC aren't real common in Mass. :dunno:
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Yes it’s happening. I was thinking this morning about how the thread hasn’t seen much action but back channel communications (mostly all I do these days) there’s lots of interest.
jhh925

Post by jhh925 »

I'll be there. In a Ford. Sigh.
85 time machine

Post by 85 time machine »

Excellent news. I’m really looking forward to seeing everyone again, and Carl really knows how to throw a great party.
Ivo, it’s time to bring wee-man!
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

jhh925 wrote: Feb 22, 2023 6:40 PM I'll be there. In a Ford. Sigh.
Eh, it's about the people, the cars are just the vehicle to get us all there.

Thanks again for your hospitality last September for Eric's Renofest!
Karl Grau

Post by Karl Grau »

wkohler wrote: Feb 22, 2023 6:37 PM I was thinking this morning about how the thread hasn’t seen much action but back channel communications (mostly all I do these days) there’s lots of interest.
That's what killed SDSPD for me. All back channel and zero front channel. Same with the Reno meet. Tons of people show up but they are FAR too cool to talk about it.
Kenny Blankenship

Post by Kenny Blankenship »

jhh925 wrote: Feb 22, 2023 6:40 PM I'll be there. In a Ford. Sigh.
Well damn the Northern Nevada contingent will be strong!

With two Fords and a Lexus...😳

I do plan to bring golf clubs...
Last edited by Kenny Blankenship on Feb 23, 2023 3:04 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Karl Grau wrote: Feb 22, 2023 9:55 PM
wkohler wrote: Feb 22, 2023 6:37 PM I was thinking this morning about how the thread hasn’t seen much action but back channel communications (mostly all I do these days) there’s lots of interest.
That's what killed SDSPD for me. All back channel and zero front channel. Same with the Reno meet. Tons of people show up but they are FAR too cool to talk about it.
What's that, San Diego State Police Dept? Never knew you were into the cop stuff. :dunno: Glad you wised up and went into water instead. :up:
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Karl Grau wrote: Feb 22, 2023 9:55 PM
I think this a larger discussion and reflection on how methods of communication between a larger group of people has evolved over time. Forums like this which are an older model, have become more cumbersome as we rely on other methods like private messaging apps, Facebook, group texting, etc which are sometimes more nimble and faster to have immediate, in-the-moment conversations especially on cell phone platforms. This is relevant when a group of people are trying to plan an event since everything is pretty fluid.

The issue becomes one of not coming back to this forum and thread and keeping it up to date. Let's face it we all have other professional and personal lives and managing & navigating social media can be extremely laborious and time consuming. Also, the traffic and communication on this forum has dropped significantly in the past 18-24 months as newer and even older members are resorting to other forms of communication. I hate to say it, but this forum is losing (or lost) its' relevancy as a day-to-day communication platform; it still is the number one repository of general and specific BMW information, though which will likely be its' legacy.

As to the subject at hand, the planning for this event seemed to start kind of late this year so a lot of details are evolving and still haven't been pegged down. Kohler's into post is still relevant and an overall outline but some items are not entirely in focus yet. Yes the dates are coming up fast, but it should be more defined this week. In fact I have an update about one item coming up which I will post soon but for now, I have to get back to work.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

I didn’t necessarily expect this thread to turn into a discussion about evolving communication methods. Backchannel communication = I get a lot of messages from people requesting information because maybe it hasn’t been posted yet. I may post the thread but I’m not the gatekeeper to all of the information and I’m also way too busy for what I have to show for it and somehow say yes to too many things. My stress level is through the roof. There have also been certain developments which you’ll see discussed right here at MyE28.com that also delayed the overall planning of the event. Just the way the timing worked out (ooooh, more cryptic messaging do not ask me for details!!)

The Friday team (yes, I went there - the team is really one or two people with a third spread across multiple continents, but this is a big deal with lots of synchronicity, backchannel communication, and some Zenyatta Mondatta for good measure) is putting the bow on the details so I can make the announcement about that.

This is a real event that’s really happening just as it has all these years. The fact people know to show up at Mission Bay on a Saturday morning in mid-March says a lot, just as Carl stepping up to offer his shop and open up for us to hang out means a lot to the community.
TurboE28

Post by TurboE28 »

Booked! I hope the 733 makes it :shock:
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

wkohler wrote: Feb 23, 2023 9:25 PM ...and some Zenyatta Mondatta for good measure) is putting the bow on the details so I can make the announcement about that.
I should have known that reference, but I didn't. I know that era, they did some interesting stuff, but they were never my favorites. Must be the cop thing.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Mike W. wrote: Feb 25, 2023 1:58 AM
wkohler wrote: Feb 23, 2023 9:25 PM ...and some Zenyatta Mondatta for good measure) is putting the bow on the details so I can make the announcement about that.
I should have known that reference, but I didn't. I know that era, they did some interesting stuff, but they were never my favorites. Must be the cop thing.
The real reference is because it fits with synchronicity, which was the fifth and final album. :)
cek

Post by cek »

FUK YEA!
cek

Post by cek »

Flights booked!
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

cek wrote: Feb 25, 2023 11:43 PMFlights booked!
I can't do that well, but I do have rooms booked. :up:

On the other hand, I'd rather have a place to stay than a way to get there. :dunno: