Modern electric Isetta, anyone?

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
stuartinmn

Modern electric Isetta, anyone?

Post by stuartinmn »

I thought this is pretty cool. A modern interpretation of the BMW Isetta, but electric. https://microlino-car.com/en/microlino

Panici

Re: Modern electric Isetta, anyone?

Post by Panici »

If they made it with a 1000cc sportbike engine option I'd be game. :laugh:
Federico

Post by Federico »

Very interesting indeed. But, if I were to spend my money, I'd rather get a smart EQ or a larger 500e (saw a couple of the latter in a recent trip; they are cool as frig!).
They seem like more sensible, less gimmicky options, even if the bubble car was cheaper, didn't require a license, etc.

BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

As the current owner of two BMW Isetta 300s, I was one of the first on the Microlino waiting list. Unfortunately they may never make this in compliance with US laws and apparently have a large backlog of Euro orders already. But it really is as cute as can be!!
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

I wonder what the compliance requirements are for a vehicle like this. Hopefully it doesn't need to meet all the DOT standards of a regular full size car - there are enough low speed 'urban vehicles' around these days I'd think the requirements would be looser. I know a lot of communities are starting to allow people to drive around in golf carts or side by side UTVs that clearly don't meet all the safety and crash requirements of something like a Ford F-150.
davintosh

Post by davintosh »

I heard about Microlino many years ago, and was excited when I found out their first prototype would be on display at the 2017 Geneva Motor Show, and I was only a three hour drive away. The "prototype" was less than impressive; it was basically an original Isetta with a bad blue & white paint job. It was said to have an electric motor in it, but they didn't do anything to show it, so... maybe it did, maybe it didn't. The booth at the show was big on hype, but short on everything else.

It's been encouraging to see that in the last few years they have progressed beyond using a refurbished Isetta, and have working prototypes, and they may be close to actual production models. I doubt we'll ever see them in the US, unless they're sold as off-road vehicles, like golf carts or side-by-sides. Vehicles can be licensed as motorcycles in my home state (SD) and other places, so there might be some market here, but it sounds like the primary target market is Europe.