Many thanks to this board!

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
JustStartingOut

Many thanks to this board!

Post by JustStartingOut »

Hey All, I picked up a 1982 528e in July. And I knew basically nothing about cars at that time. But my first car in 2001 was an '84 e28 and I wanted to drive one again...bad. So I picked one up from Facebook marketplace for $1,500 and I've been chipping away at it, thanks to this board.

ImageIMG-2954

Specifically, 1st 5er, Blue Shadow, and Mike W. helped walk me through issues that I posted about. But the board itself has been a hugely valuable resource as I've done my first oil change, changed my first set of spark plugs, and also as I got a little more competent and chased down an idle issue, figured out I needed to replace a hood hinge, and just generally learned about how cars work. I never grew up being taught any mechanical or handyman skills, and you all have helped de-mystify tons about cars, and by extension, tons about all sorts of stuff.

I rekeyed a lock/cylinder at my new house, I replaced the window regulator in my wife's Honda, I installed a hot tub lid holder/folding arm. And I know that's all basic "watch youtube and just do it" stuff, but all of these things were too intimidating and out of my reach before.

Anyway, I was driving down the road today and was just overwhelmed with how much I was enjoying driving this beautiful car and wanted to say thanks to everybody who has helped make this such a great and helpful place!

Thanks for the great resource that you guys make Mye28, and I hope to be around here for many, many years to come!
gray635

Re: Many thanks to this board!

Post by gray635 »

What a great post. It never ceases to amaze me why so many folks these days resort to Facebook. There is no replacing the resource provided by enthusiast forums populated by knowledgeable folks who want to help. And you can actually SEARCH for solid information. Imagine that.

So much of the pleasure that I have derived from the multiple e28 cars I've owned through the years is directly tied to mye28.com.

Good luck with your car! :haul:
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

Welcome aboard. :lol:

They are addictive. :pimp:
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Had a 4 hour tour in my ride today. A bit of traffic in two lane Amish country but the rest was nice.

Over on the audio site a guy adds to a post where others state he needs to clean the chopper wheel used for speed control on a turntable, like an ABS tone ring. I posted a pic of it with interfering dirt a few years ago. Guy posted Thanks and complemented the knowledge base.

I responded, great that the table is working and that his repair bill is paid in full as he thanked those that helped.

Same here, glad your car is enjoyable to drive and appreciate the words. That's all we get paid is a thanks once in a while.

Keep up the DIY. The more you do the more you can do.
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

Yep, just about the last of the cars you can essentially repair by yourself. I have had mine since new and it has been towed only once in its life, thanks largely to what I have learned here. I migrated over from the Roadfly forum in the early days and the advice on this board has been amazing. I feel like I have had a wrench on almost every nut and bolt in the car over the years, and tackled things I’d have never imagined. My personal e28 high point was the feeling after replacing my dashboard following Todd Kenyon’s write-up.
Panici

Post by Panici »

Love this thread!

Nothing like wrenching on an old car. I would almost venture to call it relaxing compared to working on something modern.
And the driving experience is so much more rewarding knowing you made it happen with your hands-on work.

We are blessed to have a great community here at myE28.
I can't wait to get stuck-in on my E28 restoration in the spring!
JustStartingOut

Love the responses! This is my first interest / hobby where the online community is actually helpful to each other instead of only negative and sarcastic, which has been a hugely welcome change!
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

JustStartingOut wrote: Dec 07, 2022 5:01 PM Love the responses! This is my first interest / hobby where the online community is actually helpful to each other instead of only negative and sarcastic, which has been a hugely welcome change!
Yes, I was PMing Mike about how you got by without the usual welcome dose of sarcasm usually enough to get the thin-skinned to fear coming back.

Enjoy the drive/ride.
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

What a great post! So glad to hear all of this is going well for you!
JustStartingOut

Shawn D. wrote: Dec 07, 2022 5:47 PM What a great post! So glad to hear all of this is going well for you!
It really is - thanks for all you do to keep this up and running!
Blue Shadow wrote: Dec 07, 2022 5:12 PM
JustStartingOut wrote: Dec 07, 2022 5:01 PM Love the responses! This is my first interest / hobby where the online community is actually helpful to each other instead of only negative and sarcastic, which has been a hugely welcome change!
Yes, I was PMing Mike about how you got by without the usual welcome dose of sarcasm usually enough to get the thin-skinned to fear coming back.

Enjoy the drive/ride.

Oh, that's funny. I probably tell multiple people each week about how I can't believe how welcoming and helpful everybody is in the car world. My big other hobby is basketball cards, and it's a dog eat dog world over there, haha.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

There are "those people" in every hobby, but its not something I've ever really understood. The same people that are grouchy and miserable are the first to complain about "these kids" that have no interest in "their" hobby. Always seemed like a good way to make sure people were not interested to me.
cek

Post by cek »

<3