szacsi72's 1984 Zinnoberrot 535i Build

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
szacsi72

Re: szacsi72's E28 535i build thread - "The Reddie"

Post by szacsi72 »

Galahad wrote: Mar 07, 2023 2:35 AM
szacsi72 wrote: Mar 07, 2023 2:30 AM

Thank you!
Yes, I figured M50 throttle cable will work, altough I'll go for one from an E36 - roughly the same length, but much cheaper.
For the alternator: no way that it can't charge if the bulb is out?! But in fact, my bulb is probably out, it never lit... I'll go and check it. If that solves the issue.. haha!
The later clusters added a resistor to solve the issue - it's a pretty dumb design oversight. I ran into the issue last year after storing my car for the winter, somehow the bulb had gone bad from sitting.
I've replaced the alternator feedback bulb today, but... no luck.
The guy who repaired the cluster for me said the light worked for him.. no idea what could be the problem. I guess I need to figure which connector it uses first and go from there. Bollocks. I have a meet I would really like to attend to in 4 days..

Anyway, while I was in there, I replaced all the bulbs, and got myself some nice red needles:
Image Image Image Image Image Image

AAAnd I got a bit bored while rebuilding this M50 for my buddy, so decided to change my bulbs for the headlights too. I like a bit colder colour. (not LED's for old school cars tho!)
Image Image Image

My custom CNC machined rotors are finally done too!
Image Image Image

I've also ordered everything for the audio (re)build. Looking forward to finally listening to music in the car...
szacsi72

Post by szacsi72 »

Today I've finished my M50 throttle body conversion.

I've designed and 3D printed the TB adapter from carbon fibre plastic, this barely took 2-3 hours + print time.
The hardest part was to adapt a TPS sensor. The first issue being that the shaft on an M50 is much shorter, so even tho you can easily adapt an M50 TPS to an M30 TB, it doesn't work the opposite way. So I first tried to make an adapter to lengthen the shaft. It worked OK, but it was too fat and looked stupid. AAnd then I've realised that the M50 and M30 sensors rotate in the opposite way.... I've tried playing with an M20 TPS (same as M30 but reverse rotation) but TBH I hated how it looked. And sooo.... I've cut apart the TPS, made a plug for the original hole, cut the tabs, 3D printed a new cover and epoxied it into place. And then, all there was left to create an adapter to actually attach the damn thing... So I've cut some steel on a trusty water jet machine from stainless.

Here's how it went:
Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Of course, while I was there, I've replaced all the bushings, nuts affected.. Even replaced the small clip. Faded, yellowish plastic is a no-go, so I bought this beautiful black one, which came on newer BMWs. The throttle cable I am using is off an E36 325i. The outer bowden is perfect; but please note that the internal one is too long. I've just added a push-on bowden end to get over this.
And obviously, gave the TB and my new TPS a good cleaning and some rattle can love.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage

So that was done. Now with my no-charge condition, since the bulb was not the cause, I went to the next thing and replaced the voltage regulator + brush set.
Image Image Image

No luck... The gauge cluster is *meant to be* good, as it was tested before. I'm not sure.. Some people have said grounding problems, however my ground cables look intact and I did measure all grounds to be good with a multi-meter. Could it still be an issue, regardless? What else to try? No idea.. I'll replace the ground staps, just in case. Won't hurt, that is for sure.

Really sucks. All this work, the car is almost "done" (in a way that it is fully functional, of course, I won't stop here..), and that little f.in bulb is stopping me from enjoying it. I hate small problems! I'd rather have an actual mechanical problem than this black magic that some call electricity.
szacsi72

Post by szacsi72 »

Haven't had time to continue with the repair.. but here's a little update.
Stereo is coming together nicely.
Here's what I have already:

-Blaupunkt Hamburg RCM104 head unit. 4x20W, pre-amp out and I'll convert it to bluetooth.
-Front mids, 4" Audison AP4 4ohm in place of the original 4x6
-Front tweeters MacAudio T19 mounted on the A pillars
-Front crossovers 12db/oct Blaupunkt with around 4.5k crossing
-Rear midbass 6.5" Audison AP6.5 in the rear shelf
-Subwoofer Caliber BC110USP 10" active under seat unit
-Sony Xplod XM754HX 4 channel AMP with adjustable lo and high pass
-Inside, hidden antenna
-Some good quality cables
-Some vibration dampening material.

Image Image Image

On the way are different types of some more sound and vibration dampeners. I plan to do the whole car. there is some vibration damping done by the PO but a lot of important places where missed. There is simply no vibration dampening in the doors and in the trunk, those are the main areas I'd like to adress. Then I will replace the old, (now) useless foaming on the doors etc and add some more in places I think will make a difference.
szacsi72

Post by szacsi72 »

I really like these kinds of old school Blaupunkt speaker covers. I think I'll attempt to 3D print somethings similar.
Does anybody happen to have something similar? And would be nice enough to measure the some dimensions for me?

szacsi72

Post by szacsi72 »

I had some free time today so I've designed some speaker covers/grilles. I decided I like the Blaupunkt Trypophobia version the best. It suits the car, since it's very similar to the stock version, but just looks.. slimmer, lighter. Probably due to the one more hole layer around the mounting holes.
I also hate the somewhat rounded sides. I've come up with two versions:
Image Image Image

The main differences is that that the right one is filled in around the speaker, and only the holes that are all the way trough are the "active" ones, like most covers. This version has no speaker cloth added.
The left version has a removable inner plate, that I can wrap in cloth and glue in place:

The left version requires more work, but I >suppose< it is the more elegant way.

Please let me know what you guys think! The rear one will be very similar, just in a different size to accompany the 6.5 inch midbasses.
Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

Thank you for sharing your audio choices. How did you hide your antenna? Also, did the tweeters you used in the A pillars fit into the factory 535is housings, or did you make others?

As for the speaker covers, I like the right version because it highlights the speakers you've chosen.
szacsi72

Post by szacsi72 »

Mdreamer wrote: Apr 01, 2023 3:16 PM Thank you for sharing your audio choices. How did you hide your antenna? Also, did the tweeters you used in the A pillars fit into the factory 535is housings, or did you make others?

As for the speaker covers, I like the right version because it highlights the speakers you've chosen.
Hi!

My original antenna was deleted by PO. I've bought a low profile antenna, that you can stick inside of your rear window. This: https://www.ahifi.hu/belteri-ontapados- ... nt-33.html

I can't tell, my car didn't have tweeters from the factory. I'm in the process of 3D printing some housings.
Thanks for your opinion!
camplo

Post by camplo »

szacsi72 wrote: Mar 29, 2023 11:37 AM I had some free time today so I've designed some speaker covers/grilles. I decided I like the Blaupunkt Trypophobia version the best. It suits the car, since it's very similar to the stock version, but just looks.. slimmer, lighter. Probably due to the one more hole layer around the mounting holes.
Image Image Image

The main differences is that that the right one is filled in around the speaker, and only the holes that are all the way trough are the "active" ones, like most covers. This version has no speaker cloth added.
The left version has a removable inner plate, that I can wrap in cloth and glue in place:

The left version requires more work, but I >suppose< it is the more elegant way.

Please let me know what you guys think! The rear one will be very similar, just in a different size to accompany the 6.5 inch midbasses.
I like the left side version. I would imagine the right side one wouldn't look as uniform and you would be able to tell where the active holes are. Would you mind sharing the stl?

Also where did you get the 4" mids from? I have some generic ones I bought from parts express but they don't sound great.
szacsi72

Post by szacsi72 »

camplo wrote: Apr 17, 2023 4:05 PM
szacsi72 wrote: Mar 29, 2023 11:37 AM I had some free time today so I've designed some speaker covers/grilles. I decided I like the Blaupunkt Trypophobia version the best. It suits the car, since it's very similar to the stock version, but just looks.. slimmer, lighter. Probably due to the one more hole layer around the mounting holes.
Image Image Image

I like the left side version. I would imagine the right side one wouldn't look as uniform and you would be able to tell where the active holes are. Would you mind sharing the stl?

Also where did you get the 4" mids from? I have some generic ones I bought from parts express but they don't sound great.
Hi! I'm located in Europe, Hungary. I bought it off a local seller. They are Audison AP-4. Not sure if you can get them in the US.
For the STL, I'll happily share the design later, when I know it's good. I don't want to share a faulty CAD. :)
szacsi72

Post by szacsi72 »

Life has been everything but easy lately, unfortunately I made little-to-none progress. The only thing I did in the past one month is fit the new rear brakes.

Unfortunately for me, I had to destroy a perfect set of M5 rear rotors.... They were almost brand new, no wear whatsoever. The b*tch was stuck so bad I had to hammer the shit out of it for it to move.... oh well. What can I do. Not like I planned to re-use them, but they could've been a great backup.

Once off, nothing special. Some trimming of the heatshiekd is need to fit the 911 calipers, and it's a pretty tight fit, so had to play around for a bit... But other than that, basically bolt on.
Image Image Image

Fixed calipers on grooved E34 M5 discs.. Looks much better than the E28 M5 brakes I had, that's for sure!
I'll give the discs a black paintjob and call it a day.
szacsi72

Post by szacsi72 »

Final piece of the puzzle. The only thing missing now is time.

Aand got some bling. I'll 3D print some adapters so I can run them on my naked M-Systems.

My alternator is broken, the engine shakes and I'm getting random cut-outs. So, I went and bought a Stage 2 KM Cams 292° cam, along with 12 forged steel rockers. This must be the fix.. right? Off with its head, I say!
szacsi72

Post by szacsi72 »

Changed the emblem today to new, original 50 Jahre emblem. I think I liked the other one better, but I could only find matching rim caps for this version, so be it. But when I went to replace it... PO has put in a rivet with electrical tape and drilled to size... Some next level hack job.. Luckily I had new OEM pieces, so I drilled these out, and in went the new one.

I will need to 3D print some adapters and glue them into the rim, as it was never meant to have rim caps installed. But I think it will look great. The empty hole looked really unfinished and unoriginal.

Finished up the front brakes fully. The colour is not Brembo-Red, no no. It is Zinnober, to match the paint perfectly! :)
Image Image

Here's the finished assembly. I ended up using brake lines meant for a random PSA car (Citroen). It is 460mm long, M10 on both sides. I'll get a friend over to help me bleed somewhen next week. Can't wait to drive it again.
Image Image Image
szacsi72

Post by szacsi72 »

Here's an update on what direction the car is going.
Since I wanted to tune the car anyway, and I'm having some ignition troubles, I'll just standalone it at this point.

Here's the setup that I've planned:
-ECU: MS3++, MS3 based custom board made by a guy in Hungary. Allows me to go fully sequential both ignition and fuel.
-Ignition: COP using BERU ZSE061 Audi coils.
-Fuel: Bosch EV1 injectors, probably something around 250-300cc
-Control: Bosch M50 TB and M50 TPS
-Crank sensor: stock M30B35 with stock 60-2 wheel
-Cam sensor: M50 Non-vanos
-IAT: integrated into MAP sensor
-MAP: Bosch Motorsport PST1
-CLT: M50 non-vanos
-ICV: Volkswagen 2 pin PWM

Supporting mods:
-New intake piping
-New exhaust (I will do 2x2" with an X-pipe where I will mount the wideband, don't want to cut up the OE exhaust)
-Adapter plate for the MAP, and a mount for the ICV
-Distributor block-off and Cam sensor mount
-ECU and Fuse-box relocation, and re-wire-ing

Will this car ever run? Who knows. But I'd rather take another year and make everything right, and enjoy it after for years than having to take it apart every second month.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

what standalone are you using?
szacsi72

Post by szacsi72 »

Galahad wrote: Jun 12, 2023 1:52 PM what standalone are you using?
szacsi72 wrote: Jun 11, 2023 8:59 AM ...
-ECU: MS3++, MS3 based custom board made by a guy in Hungary. Allows me to go fully sequential both ignition and fuel.
It's an MS3 based custom ECU. He's a well reknown guy, I believe he's a software engineer? Imagine the ECU this way: it's better than a standard MS3 and cheaper. He uses only high quality connectors and componenets, for a reasonable price - and his ECU can do more. Built in inj drivers and ignition drivers up to 12 each.. etc. Not a bad deal if you ask me! Costs roughly the same as a microsquirt.
Zeuropa

Post by Zeuropa »

Wow! Apparently, I don't surf mye28 enough. This build is awesome! Love the attention to detail and super clean mods.

Curious what size rotors you're fitting front and rear???

Keep the updates coming please!
szacsi72

Post by szacsi72 »

Zeuropa wrote: Jun 14, 2023 12:13 AM Wow! Apparently, I don't surf mye28 enough. This build is awesome! Love the attention to detail and super clean mods.

Curious what size rotors you're fitting front and rear???

Keep the updates coming please!
Thank you for the kind words. I do try to make everything right. I hate making mistakes and doing things twice. So I normally end up doing them three times instead..

I'm using 330x24mm front and 300x20mm rear. E92 328i and E34 M5.
szacsi72

Post by szacsi72 »

Not many updates, I have not had any time to continue my jorney.
However, I did collect some parts in the meantime:

ECU is here:

KMCams Steg 2 + Steel Rockers:
ImageImage

R8 Coils:

I've also designed some stuff to go on the CNC machine for the MS3 conversion:
..and a custom distributor plate, because I really didn't like the ones on the market. They house sensors that are too fat for my liking.

Hopefully next week I'll have some time to actually continue the build...
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

We'll be here. :popcorn:
szacsi72

Post by szacsi72 »

I am not dead! Just not alive.

Some rough months behind me, really didn't have any time whatsoever to continue the build. But I'm slowly catching up with my things, hopefully I will be able to start late november. I won't work for 3 weeks in Dec-Jan, I plan to finish most of the stuff in that period.

Some more parts hoarding until I can start.
Ditching the E36 radiator for a new Nissens E28 35i one to keep up with the performance mods:

And scored myself a set of red seatbelts!
Wuhuuu! They'll look awesome. Next year, once everything is running I'll get the door cards and seats reupholstered to match the red on black interior.

I've also bought a new B35 intake, that I'll also convert to "Alpina specs" - Just a bit nicer this time. And, my friend will help me paint that and some other items in BMW diamantschwarz for some true shine.

On my shopping list next:
E28 M5 clutch kit
RHD lightweight flywheel
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

I have a RHD flywheel in my M50 swap, it's a very nice piece
szacsi72

Post by szacsi72 »

The E28/E34 3.6 M5 Sachs clutch kit is en route, and I have found a guy in Hungary who makes flywheels from billet steel. Turns out he's a well-known guy here and he has made tons of flywheels for tuners and companies.
This flywheel is based off the E28 M5 flywheel, just a bit lighter and I've asked him to remove some more material from around the outer edge. It should weight in right around 6.5kgs in the end, which I think will be nice for street driving. Better than the 14kg (RIDICULOUSLY HEAVY) dual mass I have. And I'll also loose around 2kgs from the crank pulley but that's a later episode.

Anyway, I finally had some time to get some wrenching done. I sold some old components/parts I no longer needed, so those had to come out:

Luckily, I had some help:

Then the next day, I removed the cylinder head.

Now, I'm not sure if I mentioned it on here but the car had some issues. It didn't run as smooth as it should have, I felt like power was not QUITE there, and it sounded bad.
However it was weird. It wasn't smooth, but not rough like if it had a misfire. The power was a bit lacking, but not like no-compression. The sound was not great, but not like a normal mechanical problem.
Many of my friends did not notice and thought that this is how an old engine runs. My dad, who's had multiple BMWs when he was younger, knew instantly something was off when he heard it.
I've also removed all plugs and noticed how #6 had some oil on it while all others were dry. There was also quite some amount of oil residue in my intake manifold..
AND one more clue: this was not always like this, AND did not go bad slowly. This happened after a burnout I did (blame me all you want, I know this is my fault however this car is not a garage queen, and not like the engine shouldn't take a light burnout...:) ), and after the burnout, the car suddenly run worse. I later realised my car was not properly bled.
I talked to Mike (@Mike W) earlier and after that I had the idea that this could be two things. Either I overheated the pistons, which caused the rings or ringlands to be damaged, or, I overheated the head, banana'd it/lifted it and now the head gasket is leaking. (Not blown, that, I would notice).
Interestingly enough the fuel economy after this was OK, no overheating (Fixed the cooling system), oil consumption is there, but nothing crazy. No residues in the exhaust system, doesn't smoke in any colour. Oil and water didn't mix.

So yes, I had to remove the head, to check what's going on, and here I'd like your input.
I've only drived roughly 500-600-700kms since this happened. So it may be harder to spot the issue...

The cylinder walls all appear OK to me. I can see some wear marks, however the honing marks go OVER that which to me means this is not new, the engine was rebuilt before me. I think this is perfectly fine.. It's an M30.
Surely if the rings, or ringland were damaged, broken, then I would see at least SOME minor scoring? (?? Or would I? Never had it happen.)
Unfortunately I couldn't take good pictures because there was too much flare, as I had to use my phones flash.

The cylinder head gasket didn't really show any signs of being blown, however I have to add this was not a composit gasket but an.. interesting one. Kind of like a combination of composit on the inside, alloy on the outside? It was custom made by a random guy and has NO rubber on it, whatsoever.
I'll make pictures next time I'm in the workshop, I forgot to take pictures..... sorry.

The only signs, that are interesting to me, are the colours in the combustion chambers. Let me show you:

The silver-black edges were very sharp everywhere, apart from one side in cyl #6. Looks oily, but no carbon? Remember, this is the one that had oil on the spark plug, and this comes (looks like, at least that's the direction) from between #5 and #6, which is the place I bet would let go first when overheating.

Between the cylinder, the colours were also a bit different, a bit darker. But I don't think this means much... Does it?

What do you guys think?
Could this be a leaky head gasket? And maybe I can only not see the marks because of the fact that the hole gasket is covered in aluminium, so this 500-700kms of driving just could not damage it?

Next week I will see if the block or head are warped, I just didn't have time last time.
I REALLY don't want to open up the block now; it would be so good to have some progress, it would set me back weeks.
szacsi72

Post by szacsi72 »

Had to jump in the workshop Anyway, so snapped some pictures of the head gasket. Please take a look and let me know what you guys think.

I'm quite sure it's not OK, all those marks tell me the head shaving was a bad job and was done on a mill instead of a grinder (which in itself could be OK, however I still prefer a grinder).
And there are black marks that go over the combustion chamber area, which is again not a great sign... and black spots around different holes too.

adam_poll

Post by adam_poll »

Hmm, that oil is coming from somewhere, either the head or past the piston. Unless you find a smoking gun I think the pan needs to come off and #6 popped out for a closer look.
szacsi72

Post by szacsi72 »

adam_poll wrote: Nov 12, 2023 8:32 PM Hmm, that oil is coming from somewhere, either the head or past the piston. Unless you find a smoking gun I think the pan needs to come off and #6 popped out for a closer look.
The problem is that I know myelf. If the pistons come out... they don't go back in.
I would definitely start playing around too much...
B34 pistons, and even bug pistons are now annoyingly expensive. I'd like to overbore it and rebuild it with fresh cylinder walls, but I can't find any 92.5...94.0mm pistons that are reasonable priced. And I'm not looking for some fancy forged ones, just new ones