Finally got a Bentleys....

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
EE TWO EIGHT

Finally got a Bentleys....

Post by EE TWO EIGHT »

Only took 10 years. But I got one. 45 bucks shipped off of Ebay. Used but excellent condition.
1st 5er

Re: Finally got a Bentleys....

Post by 1st 5er »

EE TWO EIGHT wrote: Oct 15, 2022 9:13 PM Only took 10 years. But I got one. 45 bucks shipped off of Ebay. Used but excellent condition.
Your profile says 12. :cool:
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Yawn.

I know the Bentley is regarded as the bible here, but admittedly with significant BMW experience before E28s, I was underwhelmed when I got one in the trunk of a part car, ~10 years into E28 ownership. Not saying anything wrong about it, just that it's overrated. And like many things, if it works for you, it works.
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

Mike W. wrote: Oct 16, 2022 3:05 AM Yawn.

I know the Bentley is regarded as the bible here, but admittedly with significant BMW experience before E28s, I was underwhelmed when I got one in the trunk of a part car, ~10 years into E28 ownership. Not saying anything wrong about it, just that it's overrated. And like many things, if it works for you, it works.
For me, having sh!t for memory,
it's a great tool for researching specs and the like.
Example: Pulled mine from the boot of our E23 enroute to TF while on the side of the road to get the reference sensor ohm numbers.
EE TWO EIGHT

Post by EE TWO EIGHT »

I was a BMW mechanic when these cars came out. Started at Monterey Bay Motor Works in 1986. I need printed material for reference for specs. This book gives me what I need in that respect as well as acting as a reminder for repairs I have not done since 1990.
EE TWO EIGHT

Post by EE TWO EIGHT »

1st 5er wrote: Oct 15, 2022 10:15 PM
EE TWO EIGHT wrote: Oct 15, 2022 9:13 PM Only took 10 years. But I got one. 45 bucks shipped off of Ebay. Used but excellent condition.
Your profile says 12. :cool:
Lol! That's right! Tempus Fugit!
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

1st 5er wrote: Oct 16, 2022 10:25 AM

For me, having sh!t for memory,
it's a great tool for researching specs and the like.
Example: Pulled mine from the boot of our E23 enroute to TF while on the side of the road to get the reference sensor ohm numbers.
:laugh: I'm pretty good on specs, I've got a great memory for numbers. Now peoples names... :facepalm:
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

Mike W. wrote: Oct 16, 2022 3:05 AM Yawn.

Qft
Engineer666

Post by Engineer666 »

I am also looking for this book as everyone here talk about it!

What bothers me it that it seems restricted to the 528e and not the European 528i

I guess the fuel management, injection, etc are différent?
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

The Bentley book is mainly aimed at the US market, and we didn't get the 528i here, so there aren't any 528i specific references in it. Since those cars had the M30 'big six' engine, for home repair purposes it's mainly the same as the 535i.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Engineer666 wrote: Nov 22, 2022 5:14 AM I am also looking for this book as everyone here talk about it!

What bothers me it that it seems restricted to the 528e and not the European 528i

I guess the fuel management, injection, etc are différent?
As has been noted, it's not restricted to the eta. But it is US centric, so only covers models we got here. Mechanically, 533/535 cars are pretty similar to your 528i, including engines, but admittedly things like injection and ignition are much different, closer to our E12 L jet cars. Chassis wise it should be good for you, but details on injection and ignition wouldn't even be close. Might or might not be a worthy starting point, I have no idea what other options are out there for what we refer to as "Euro" cars, meaning European spec cars. There is a Haynes manual that is absolutely terrible, but even it still only covers US spec cars. Again, since I, as most in the US, have a very limited comprehension of languages other than English, I can't help as to what other options might be out there.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

The Haynes manual for the 3 and 5 Series of the era have the € wiring diagrams. I've used this book in conjunction with the Bentley and the BMW manual.
Aldo525

Post by Aldo525 »

I bought this german manual for Euro models and it is really good, more specific than Haynes. Problem, I didn't speak german but the technical info is easy to understand and today the mobil phone has apps capable to translate just using the camera.....works for me. Also there is a version for 4 cylinders engines.