Never Have I Ever - A Mid Life Crisis

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
WilNJ

Re: Never Have I Ever - A Mid Life Crisis

Post by WilNJ »

Thanks, this local, detailed knowledge is what I was looking for.

JT is really just a touchstone item. I’m not much of a hiker/outdoorsman, but I grew up on U2 and the JT tour was my first concert (not counting Simon and Garfunkel in 4th grade because I didn’t know enough to appreciate it).
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

WilNJ wrote: Jan 31, 2023 6:32 PM Thanks, this local, detailed knowledge is what I was looking for.

JT is really just a touchstone item. I’m not much of a hiker/outdoorsman, but I grew up on U2 and the JT tour was my first concert (not counting Simon and Garfunkel in 4th grade because I didn’t know enough to appreciate it).
Mike has a point, Grand Canyon is the grand-daddy of national parks and wonder, but visiting it would require a whole extra 1-2 days. GC is also about 10x more crowded than JT even at it's busiest peak times. JT is subtle, majestic desert whereas CG is in-your-face-7th-wonder-of-the-world western nature at its' best. It's hard to compare the two of them as they are not in the same category. To see JT you really need to get out and hike it, it is hard to appreciate it from your car. GC has a lot of photo-op stop points along the roads but is quite a bit off your chosen route.

Mike is correct, there isn't much east of Flagstaff along 40.
WilNJ

Post by WilNJ »

I’ve visited the GC before so it’s not really on my list. At one point I considered a stop in Vegas and would go back to GC if I were to do that but i want to go further south.

Someone on another forum suggested I head SE from Flagstaff towards Roswell and then swing back up to 40 through West Texas. I’m thinking of spending more time in the SW instead of the Smokeys. I can get back to the Smokeys in a 1 day drive if it really grabs me.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

That sounds reasonable: take advantage of being in the west and see as much of it as possible and reasonable.
Of course southern Utah is the place to go to see this nations' best National Parks and Monuments. But that's not feasible in this trip it sounds.
If you're planning on spending more time in the SW, then instead of going southeast out of Flagstaff, go northeast towards Durango, CO and specifically Mesa Verde NP. That is worth the trip.
From there loop southeast through Taos, Santa Fe and back to 40E. Lots to see in along that drive (I did it one winter long time back). There is a beautiful old church in Chimayo, NM that is definitely worth stopping at (Santuario de Chimayo).
Worth considering.
WilNJ

Post by WilNJ »

I’m hoping this happens within the next 2 months so I think I’d be tempting fate headed into the mountains.

My 15yo son wants to do this trip too, I may do it again in a couple years when he has his license and do a northern route in late Spring/Summer.
Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

If you haven't already, I would identify where in the Bay Area you'll be purchasing the car from and subsequently staying overnight. The Bay is pretty large, and depending on where you purchase the car from, you may find yourself far (in either distance or time-wise due to traffic) away from the PCH when you are ready to drive the first leg of your trip. I say this having grown up in Berkeley. On any given day it can take an hour to get to 1 from there, even though it isn't that far away physically.

Next, I agree with the sentiments regarding driving the PCH all the way down to Laguna Beach. It takes a lot more time than it seems like it would, and even the 101 can be a bit lengthy south of S.L.O. That said, if this is a major goal of yours, I completely understand. You may want to allocate more time for the drive, however. Also, because of the stop and go nature of some of the drive, it may be more taxing than cruising along uninterrupted for tanks of gas at a time. It may be beneficial to anticipate being more fatigued the day after your drive down the coast than you would normally be otherwise.

Flagstaff to Oklahoma City is a very long stretch. Arizona and New Mexico are beautiful to look at, but unless you break up the drive early by going north off 40 to the GC and Taos, etc., it can be quite boring. New Mexico, in particular, is a very big state that it feels like forever to drive through. Picture seeing two lanes in the desert as far as the eyes can see, then finally reaching the horizon after 90 minutes, only to have the same scene repeat itself at least two more times. I know it may sound like I'm exaggerating, but...

What I started doing to break this stretch up was stopping in Tucumcari. It is almost to Texas, and crossing the state line into that state has always been good for me psychologically, so just getting close to it also does wonders. Lol. If you're feeling good, Amarillo is also a cool stopping point. If you pass there, you may feel like you're in nowhere land. I say this because east of there to Oklahoma City isn't particularly exciting (to me--no disrespect to anyone who lives in and/or loves that region).

Oklahoma City to Nashville only gets stimulating once you cross into Tennessee, so I'd plan to limit stops as much as possible so you can keep that average speed up through OK and AR. Actually, there is Troy Aikman's McDonald's in Henryetta, but that's only if you were stopping anyway... and if you like football... and if you eat McNuggets.

I've always gone from Nashville onto Atlanta when going this route, so I cannot effectively advise on the rest. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best on your trip!
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Mdreamer wrote: Feb 01, 2023 4:34 PM Next, I agree with the sentiments regarding driving the PCH all the way down to Laguna Beach. It takes a lot more time than it seems like it would, and even the 101 can be a bit lengthy south of S.L.O. That said, if this is a major goal of yours, I completely understand. You may want to allocate more time for the drive, however. Also, because of the stop and go nature of some of the drive, it may be more taxing than cruising along uninterrupted for tanks of gas at a time. It may be beneficial to anticipate being more fatigued the day after your drive down the coast than you would normally be otherwise.
Yes, keep this in mind if you the car you pick up is a standard transmission. Clutching all of this in stop-go traffic on a clutch & transmission of unknown life is taking a chance. Not to mention hard on both you and the clutch.
Mdreamer wrote: Feb 01, 2023 4:34 PMFlagstaff to Oklahoma City is a very long stretch. Arizona and New Mexico are beautiful to look at, but unless you break up the drive early by going north off 40 to the GC and Taos, etc., it can be quite boring. New Mexico, in particular, is a very big state that it feels like forever to drive through. Picture seeing two lanes in the desert as far as the eyes can see, then finally reaching the horizon after 90 minutes, only to have the same scene repeat itself at least two more times. I know it may sound like I'm exaggerating, but...
Not nearly as bad as Kansas west across eastern Colorado to Denver. Never, never, never again...
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

vinceg101 wrote: Feb 01, 2023 7:46 PM
Not nearly as bad as Kansas west across eastern Colorado to Denver. Never, never, never again...
Absolutely, now that is a boring drive. I've only done it west to east but same thing. I didn't realize Colorado east was really Kansas west. When I drove it I swear nobody else was going over 62 MPH so I was on high alert as I blasted past them at 66-67.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Mike W. wrote: Feb 01, 2023 9:26 PM
vinceg101 wrote: Feb 01, 2023 7:46 PM
Absolutely, now that is a boring drive. I've only done it west to east but same thing. I didn't realize Colorado east was really Kansas west. When I drove it I swear nobody else was going over 62 MPH so I was on high alert as I blasted past them at 66-67.
Worst drive ever: Driving west. Into the sun. All day. In July. 101*. A/C died halfway across Kansas.
We didn't stop driving until midnight in St. George, UT. I couldn't remember my own name.
WilNJ

Post by WilNJ »

vinceg101 wrote: Feb 01, 2023 7:46 PM Yes, keep this in mind if you the car you pick up is a standard transmission. Clutching all of this in stop-go traffic on a clutch & transmission of unknown life is taking a chance. Not to mention hard on both you and the clutch.
Good point. Which brings me to my next two thoughts.

PPI - This is what one shop includes in their PPI.
It includes us placing the vehicle on the lift, examining the under vehicle (checking for cracked subframe) and suspension components, short test vehicle for any faults, visual inspection of the engine for any leaks. We check the interior feature functions, windows, sunroof, hvac system, etc. Then a road test to get a feel of the vehicle. We are currently about 2 weeks out for any appointments.

I would recommend making sure there's a spare and the tools function to perform the spare tire replacement. The weak point on these cars is the cooling system. Depending if the cooling system has been overhauled or not. The expansion tank and radiator would be the first things that would need to be addressed.
Anything else I should ask for?

Tool kit for the trip - I'm thinking I'll take some very basic tools with me on the plane and ship a more comprehensive kit to my sister in Laguna. Here's my running list. Anything I'm missing? Too much?

Metric Socket Set
Metric Wrenches
Screwdrivers
Small Crescent Wrench
Large Crescent Wrench
Torque Wrench
Breaker bar
Adjustable Pliers
Channel locks
Wire cutter
Wire strippers
Knife
Ballpeen hammer
Bailing Wire
Zip Ties
JB Weld
Hose Clamps
Tire Plug Kit
Compressor
Duct Tape
Electrical Tape
Jump box
Silicone sealant
Bentley Manual*
OBD Scanner
Fix-a-flat
Belts
Fuel Pump
Fuel Pump Relay
Fuses
Ignition Service Kit
Gloves
Tyvek painters overalls
Paper Towels
Hand Cleaner
Oil
Coolant
Flashlight and batteries
Crank position sensor
Torx bits
Window Cleaner/Rag
Gallon of water
Small Funnel
Safety Triangle
Simple Green
Gasket material
Fan clutch tool

EDIT: With respect to the Bentley Manual, I've found a .pdf of the manual. Rather than print it, I have access to it on my phone. How reliable is cell service in these parts of the country?
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Omit the OBD Scanner at home. Any E28 is too old for these.
Omit torx bits. My experience is that E28's used very few if any torx fasteners.
Add a few of the major radiator hoses. I know they take up room but they could be a lifesaver.
Add the smaller plastic T in the coolant loop that sits under the intake manifold. PN: 11531272866
Add a coil. (Define what is in your "Ignition Service Kit"? It should include a coil, an injector, and some length of electrical wire)
Add a small multi-meter.
Add (1) more gallon distilled water. Depending on your aversion and experience, you can never have enough water when you need it. If you had to chose an emergency fluid, I would stick with more distilled water vs. a whole gallon of coolant. You can always fill the system with water then go in search of coolant.
Add small fire extinguisher. You never know.

As to the Bentley's, cell service is much better these days especially along major highway arteries, but, given my age, I never take that as a given. It looks like your car is going to be pretty packed (all that stuff above will fill your trunk completely), so if you're trying to save space okay go digital.
Likewise, same for maps. Am I just an old dinosaur and the only one that still travels with a road atlas? or at least a bunch of AAA road maps? Nothing beats being able to open up a map especially when cell service gets spotty.
WilNJ

Post by WilNJ »

vinceg101 wrote: Feb 02, 2023 11:59 AM Omit the OBD Scanner at home. Any E28 is too old for these.
Omit torx bits. My experience is that E28's used very few if any torx fasteners.
Add a few of the major radiator hoses. I know they take up room but they could be a lifesaver.
Add the smaller plastic T in the coolant loop that sits under the intake manifold. PN: 11531272866
Add a coil. (Define what is in your "Ignition Service Kit"? It should include a coil, an injector, and some length of electrical wire)
Add a small multi-meter.
Add (1) more gallon distilled water. Depending on your aversion and experience, you can never have enough water when you need it. If you had to chose an emergency fluid, I would stick with more distilled water vs. a whole gallon of coolant. You can always fill the system with water then go in search of coolant.
Add small fire extinguisher. You never know.

As to the Bentley's, cell service is much better these days especially along major highway arteries, but, given my age, I never take that as a given. It looks like your car is going to be pretty packed (all that stuff above will fill your trunk completely), so if you're trying to save space okay go digital.
Likewise, same for maps. Am I just an old dinosaur and the only one that still travels with a road atlas? or at least a bunch of AAA road maps? Nothing beats being able to open up a map especially when cell service gets spotty.
In one of the updates, I mentioned that I'm leaning heavily towards an E46, specifically a 330i with the ZHP package.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

WilNJ wrote: Feb 02, 2023 7:47 AM
vinceg101 wrote: Feb 01, 2023 7:46 PM Yes, keep this in mind if you the car you pick up is a standard transmission. Clutching all of this in stop-go traffic on a clutch & transmission of unknown life is taking a chance. Not to mention hard on both you and the clutch.
Good point. Which brings me to my next two thoughts.

PPI - This is what one shop includes in their PPI.
It includes us placing the vehicle on the lift, examining the under vehicle (checking for cracked subframe) and suspension components, short test vehicle for any faults, visual inspection of the engine for any leaks. We check the interior feature functions, windows, sunroof, hvac system, etc. Then a road test to get a feel of the vehicle. We are currently about 2 weeks out for any appointments.

I would recommend making sure there's a spare and the tools function to perform the spare tire replacement. The weak point on these cars is the cooling system. Depending if the cooling system has been overhauled or not. The expansion tank and radiator would be the first things that would need to be addressed.
Anything else I should ask for?

Tool kit for the trip - I'm thinking I'll take some very basic tools with me on the plane and ship a more comprehensive kit to my sister in Laguna. Here's my running list. Anything I'm missing? Too much?

EDIT: With respect to the Bentley Manual, I've found a .pdf of the manual. Rather than print it, I have access to it on my phone. How reliable is cell service in these parts of the country?
Way more than you need. My experience is with E39s, which roughly parallel E46 in terms of years and tech, so it's based off that. Even being prepared I'd cut that list way down, as Vince said the cooling system is the biggest suspect, a new radiator, cap and maybe expansion tank might be worth it preemptively though if you don't know the history or it's over 100K. And one thing I always take on trips these days is a DMM, you've got to have a meter.

Even with an abundance of caution, at the most I'd only go with the following,

Metric Socket Set
Metric Wrenches
Screwdrivers
Large Crescent Wrench
Channel locks
Wire strippers
Knife
Zip Ties
Duct Tape
Electrical Tape
Jump box
OBD Scanner
Fix-a-flat
Belts
Fuel Pump
Fuses
Gloves
Paper Towels
Hand Cleaner
Oil
Coolant
Flashlight and batteries
Window Cleaner/Rag
Gallon of water
Safety Triangle
DMM
Tarp

I know you're talking about a 3K mile trip, and in an unknown car, but I do a 3.5-4.5 mile vacation yearly with far less than that and about all I've used in the past 15 years is towels and paper towels, OBDII scanner and oil. Do be prepared for the possibility that it may have an appetite for engine oil, many M54s do. But you're not going to be making gaskets on the road or have time for epoxy or silicone to cure. Actually I would add one more thing, a simple tarp in case you do have to get down and dirty you have something to lie on. But a cheapie $5 one from Harbor Freight is just fine for that.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

WilNJ wrote: Feb 02, 2023 12:24 PMIn one of the updates, I mentioned that I'm leaning heavily towards an E46, specifically a 330i with the ZHP package.
Ahhh, sorry overlooked that. Yes, definitely the OBD scanner and torx bits for sure then.
Follow what Mike said:
Add more oil
Omit the gasket making things
Still add a coil (make it a coil pack now) plus boot & spark plug
Add a tarp or HF's packing blanket(s)
Add trim removal tool(s)
You can likely cut out a lot of the heavy wrenching tools. Without a lift or even decent jack, you're not going to be able access anything needing those tools. The biggest culprit will likely center around electronic items.

And as he mentioned if the car hasn't had a cooling system overhaul, any or all of it, make it part of your "BMW Used Car Buy-In" investment. Bite the bullet and do the system overhaul (radiator, water pump, thermostat, hoses, belts, tensioners, sensors, coolant tank). Piece of mind is worth every penny especially starting a 3K mile trip.
Make sure the oil separator/PCV and DISA valves are okay. Due an extensive systems scan with the tool (get a good one, I have Foxwell one) and see what codes have been recorded.
If the car ends up being a Sport Package model (most likely with the ZHP), verify the suspension and check the tire wear extensively. Given the ages of those now, it could be in for entire overhaul. It might be fine for your drive home but it might shred tires. That is a much bigger investment and takes time.
Make sure the HVAC system is functioning. That includes the blower motor; any problems usually center on the Final Stage Blower Relay under the passenger dash. They have short lifespans it seems.
WilNJ

Post by WilNJ »

No other word for this level of support than Awesome.

Waiting on a response to my offer now. If it doesn't pan out, I need to keep looking.
Panici

Post by Panici »

On the note of fire extinguishers, I recommend a solid-state model from the company Element.
Their small model literally fits in a glovebox and gives 50 seconds of extinguisher output. That's 4x longer then a traditional 5lb dry chem bottle. And it doesn't depressurize over time like a normal unit.

Fire extinguisher in an old car with unknown fuel system is cheap insurance IMO.

I used to carry a large "Purple K" extinguisher in my E30's trunk, but now I just have an Element E100. Have been meaning to mount it to the seat frame as it's physically quite small.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Panici wrote: Feb 03, 2023 9:27 AM On the note of fire extinguishers, I recommend a solid-state model from the company Element.
Their small model literally fits in a glovebox and gives 50 seconds of extinguisher output. That's 4x longer then a traditional 5lb dry chem bottle. And it doesn't depressurize over time like a normal unit.

Fire extinguisher in an old car with unknown fuel system is cheap insurance IMO.

I used to carry a large "Purple K" extinguisher in my E30's trunk, but now I just have an Element E100. Have been meaning to mount it to the seat frame as it's physically quite small.
Good point on extinguisher types. I have a small 1lb Halon/Halotron unit, dry chemicals and cars do not mix. Having a unit that could last longer is intriguing since 1lb of anything won't go far unless you jump on the fire immediately.
WilNJ

Post by WilNJ »

Looks like this is going to come to fruition.

Any car events going on around LA/Orange County the weekend of 3/10-11?
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

WilNJ wrote: Feb 24, 2023 4:55 PM Looks like this is going to come to fruition.

Well, the real event is the next weekend in San Diego & La Jolla: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=159637
If you could alter you schedule, you could partake in the one of the premiere BMW E28 local events that is on everyone's calendars. Folks come from far and wide, domestic and abroad just to be a part of it. :D
WilNJ

Post by WilNJ »

vinceg101 wrote: Feb 24, 2023 8:43 PM
WilNJ wrote: Feb 24, 2023 4:55 PM Looks like this is going to come to fruition.

Well, the real event is the next weekend in San Diego & La Jolla: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=159637
If you could alter you schedule, you could partake in the one of the premiere BMW E28 local events that is on everyone's calendars. Folks come from far and wide, domestic and abroad just to be a part of it. :D
That's what prompted my post but alas, that won't work for me.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Well that really is unfortunate.
I'm not seeing anything on the local BMW front, but LA & OC are big places with a huge car culture so I'm sure there is something happening somewhere.
There is this on for Sunday 3/12 which I've heard good things about: https://www.idrivesocal.com/event/super ... 023-03-12/
The other really cool thing locally is the Zimmerman Automobile Driving Museum in El Segundo (that I admit I have yet to see :oops: ) gives free rides in a rotating list of their collection every 2nd & 4th Sundays of each month. https://www.free2funla.com/event/automo ... 023-03-12/

Otherwise just Googling "Car Events" for that weekend will bring up a long list.

Worst comes to worse, you can come by the Hangar and visit as I will be prepping the car for the drive south the next weekend.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Heads Up: Weather Alert
You're going to want to keep an eye on the long range weather forecasts: Predictions are another Atmospheric River event forming up for next weekend (3/9-3/11).

While anything past 4 days is a WAG, they usually have been pretty accurate lately. I saw the radar model and it looked pretty ugly for the entire west coast.
WilNJ

Post by WilNJ »

Yes, my sister sent me a video of hail in Laguna Beach earlier this week. I will have to put this off for another time.

The weather around the country is a little to unsettled for my liking.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

WilNJ wrote: Mar 04, 2023 11:08 AM Yes, my sister sent me a video of hail in Laguna Beach earlier this week. I will have to put this off for another time.

The weather around the country is a little to unsettled for my liking.
Not a bad idea, probably a wise decision.
The predictions for next weekend look clear now but it's raining today (which was not expected or predicted by any of last nights' weather folk, at least for us on the Westside).
WilNJ

Post by WilNJ »

“The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft a-gley.”

Too many moving parts in my schedule between work and home so no cross country trip but the car is home.