Never Have I Ever - A Mid Life Crisis

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
WilNJ

Never Have I Ever - A Mid Life Crisis

Post by WilNJ »

Turning 50 was unremarkable, I turned 51 earlier this year. In May, a co-worker retired at 65. 3 weeks later he was diagnosed with a terminal condition and died at the end of July, about 9 weeks after retiring.

That has sent me sideways.

I feel that if I were to play the drinking game, never have I ever, I could play for hours and safely give everyone a ride home later that night.

One of the things I’ve never done is drive cross country, I’ve also never driven any of my bucket list cars. I need to make this happen and I need help planning it out.

The Mission
I live in NJ. I’d look to buy/pick up the car somewhere on the West Coast and drive it back East. I have family in SoCal and PNW that I would like to visit so as to extend the adventure.

Assumptions
-Freedom to select when I do this (ie any season)
-Freedom to determine duration or to even leave duration open ended as long as it’s measured in weeks, not months
-Solo, I don’t want to accommodate anyone else’s time table.

The route
On this, I have no opinion, I would think that short of February and August, there’s enough variety in the US climates that I could pick any route and be comfortable.

I would want to be able to do it in shorts and a tee without worrying about suffering through 100 plus degree temps with an unsophisticated AC system.

The cars
Porsche 911
BMW E28 (Natch) or E34
BMW E24

Which would you choose and why? Feel free to be specific of which model, year or configuration you’d choose.

The car would need to be a manual, it should be fun, unique, a good cruiser, reasonably reliable with a wide support network if i get into a jam. I’d probably hope to put 5k miles or more on the car during the trip

While I’d shy away from a real museum piece, assume anything under $100k but I’d love to meet people along the way, so I don’t mind a conversation starter.

I would need to be comfortable leaving it in a parking lot pretty much anywhere this side of a warzone.

Are there any others I should consider?

Note: I have driven and E34 but it was a 525i with an auto. Not the experience I’m looking for.

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to edit this post as I receive feedback so don’t get sideways with me if later on your response no longer makes sense.

First Edit
I would love to schedule this around events. That could be anything from Sturgis to Mardi Gras to an F1 event so feel free to embellish along those lines too.
vinceg101

Re: Never Have I Ever - A Mid Life Crisis

Post by vinceg101 »

Interesting and you're bound to get the gamut in responses.
I know what you mean about middle age: 50 came and went for me rather uneventfully (heck I don't even think we went our for dinner that night). 6 frightfully quick years later, and I'm pondering many of these same questions.

Car: I'd stick with the E28 but maybe the right E34 (e.g. M Sport 540i, M5 Touring, Alpina, etc.). To me there isn't enough of a difference or lot more an E24 can offer to make me choose that over the right model E28 (e.g. EU M5, Alpina B7, M535i, etc.). Unless you've driven 911's much, driving one across the country for the first time might be challenging (physically that is. Of course I've not driven one yet, so what do I know?)
As for another option, I would put a properly sorted E23 745i, manual of course; one heck of a highway cruiser, especially with that turbo.

Route: Being you've got family at both ends of the West Coast, I would look at making it sort of 'X' pattern with two vertical legs on the coasts. This way you pick up the Carolinas (Blue Ridge, the Tail and maybe Vintage if you time it right), the upper mid-west/mountain west states, the whole Western Coast (again, time it for Monterey Car Week or any of the western E28 events), back across the Southwest (again again hit TexFest or Mardi Gras or skip that madness and hit the Jazz Festival instead), then back into the Northeast for the Fall Turn, then home. (Okay maybe that is more like several months, but you get to pick which events and seasons as there are lots to choose from so you can whittle it down to a 3-4 week trip).

Interestingly, a former high school & BSA troopmate of mine showed up in the car forums and on this very one after not hearing from him for over 35 years and did something like this back in 2011. He did a roundtrip east to west to east in his 911 for the California Targa; he documented the whole thing here: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche- ... untry.html
(He's still in the Philadelphia area and has several BMW's, nice ones, and his 911).
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

I turn 70 in January. My Dad passed at 57 from his 5th heart attack. I'm ready to retire and play with my BMW toys.

With your budget you could have a very nice E34 M5 with probably $70k leftover. My stick 1995 E34 525i with ASC is the best BMW I've ever owned in over 50-years of BMWs. If it hadn't spent it's first three-years in Ohio with the first owner, I'd never know it could rust in nearly the same spots as an E28! It's well over 200,000-miles and I'm making it a restoration project. Still on original clutch and nothing (NOTHING) ever done to the engine, other than a chip. Fantastic car. But now I love my 2015 128 M-sport stick and call it the finest daily-driver BMW I've ever owned. Just a blast. And, of course, I still have two E28 sticks.

Sounds like fun. Keep us up to date on your quest. :beer:
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

I lost my best friend at 26, 42 years ago. It changed my life.
Make today, every “today”, as good a day as you can. Live life without regrets.
Nosis

Post by Nosis »

My BS .02$
Car…Your suggested cars make this recommendation easy… 911(which one? 996, 997? I don’t think it matters Ive considered both and owned neither) + e28 (I have 2 nice ones) / 2 = the GOAT roadtrip car, the e39 m5 (I’ve owned and loved). Buy a well kept e39 M5 in SD (San Diego or close).

Route… And, roadtrip north have some fish tacos and tour the Midway before you leave - PCH… redwoods, golden gate, wine country, OR coast (Cannon Beach, Ecola State Park are insane) and visit your peeps in the PNW, some oysters and Alaskan Amber, Then head over through ID to Yellowstone, maybe Jackson too?

From there head down to the gulf coast of TX, check out the rocky mountains on the way (Estes park, trail ridge road? Steamboat springs?) Maybe check out some art in Sante Fe? Or, dip through the sand hills of Nebraska for the most serene and beautifully curvy roads I’ve ever driven. From CO, I road tripped to Port Aransas TX to get some gulf coast and found it to be not only a beautiful drive through TX but a super cool destination; have some fried Catfish and Lone Star lager… make your way around the gulf, enjoying the redneck riviera (New Orleans Bourbon St, Dauphin Island, LA is on my list, as is Indian Pass, FL).

When he time is right, take the backroads up north through the Carolinas, as you wish - I don’t know the East coast as well but hear there are epic roads through the Appalachians. Then, you'll be home.

This amazing Country has more to see than any of us ever will, so pick a path and then keep an open mind as you go, it will be epic, even if you don’t break down, get lost, or whatever.

Cheers,

Cyp
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

If you are fortunate your life will be roughly divided into thirds. First is growing up and getting an education and training. Second third is working to earn as much money as possible. Then comes the fun part - the final third where you get to do whatever you want, whenever you want.

Not knowing how long the third phase will last, plan to start it as soon as you possibly can. When I was your age, I was fortunate to be able to retire. Been doing what I enjoy every day for 25 years so far. I bought the farm; and I mean that factually. I spend way more tractor time than car time. I’d love to find a nice 911, but wrenching on the tractor and farm implements is fun and challenging. And I get to buy really, really big tools too.
BillW in StL

Post by BillW in StL »

Easily a e24 over an e28. The Six is what people call a Grand Tourer, I just know it barrels down the highway soundly, like a Mercedes or an e34.
E28s are great overall, and they leave 635s in the dust as far as handling and the ability to put people or things in the back seat.
Consider e39 and e32 also.
mitch5

Post by mitch5 »

Nothing would do better for a midlife crisis drive thru perfect weather than an air cooled targa 911. But!

Personally I would rather dump a majority of that money into the things you do along that trip rather than the thing you drive. Here are some quick activities I would dump my money on.

In the pnw? Pay 5k for a guided trip to the interior of north pole to climb, kayak and explore glaciers that’ll be gone soon enough.

In the southwest? Go on a 2 week Grand Canyon raft trip then stay a desert retreat like the celebs do. You can rent a 700hp pro2 trophy truck and rip thru the desert like your in the Baja 1000

Drive thru Yellowstone? Maybe. Or do a 5 day horseback backcountry trip thru the wind river range. Then go get a boat and fly fish on the snake maybe see a grizzly on shore.

These are just a few ideas but would be a blast and eat up some money.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

With the cars you have listed,
Porsche 911
BMW E28 (Natch) or E34
BMW E24
I'm not sure about the good A/C part. I'm less familiar with Porsches, but seem to recall them having less than robust A/C, at least on the older ones. E24/28, if in good shape, can have decent A/C, plenty enough to keep you comfortable on the road, but in stop and go traffic, so so. But, even with the generous budget you have, it's going to be awfully difficult to vet the car from a distance. Especially A/C. Sorry if I keep harping on this subject, but I see it as a less than sure thing. I think you're over optimistic on weather too, at least unless you do have very good A/C. I'd shoot for the shoulder months, April/May or September/October.

I've got to say as a mid life crisis yours is fairly mild. I worked with a guy, good guy, very bright, very hardworking, I think well of him. He started with us as a complete geek, in the electronics field and looked the part. A few years later he got into bikes, first a ??? V twin, pseudo Harley, debadged, then a real Harley. Then hair halfway down his back. Then sold his pickup truck and bought a BMW. (yes, stereotypes, even among enthusiasts) Then a Corvette, then another Corvette. Had a couple of affairs with women at work which he thought were discrete. Not, not at all, and I'm not one to look for that, it was beyond blatant. Finally settled on a very flashy, surgically enhanced woman, who was actually a very nice person, both personally and bright, almost in spite of her appearance. Then came divorce and remarriage with her. Last I knew he was stable in life V2, but I've never seen a midlife crisis like his. So I'm not going to hammer you for your midlife crisis.

The route. All depends. What do you like, or want to do you haven't? This is a big ass country with lots of stuff. Some like a more urban experience, music, high end restaurants, galleries etc. I'm on the other end preference wise, I'm fully enamored with the natural beauty, emphatically the National Parks. Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon, the Utah parks, Moab and the parks by it. There's several different main routes, lower, I 10, lower mid, the old US 66, I 80 or I 90 way up north. But to make a recomendation, I've got to know what your basic likes/preferences are.

Cars I will offer this, all listed seem to be appreciating. I don't see you losing money on them, with the possible exception of the E34. E28s are better cars than E24s, but having done both, E24s, with the exception of the doors and space thing, somehow are better road cars. They just chew up miles. And lets face it, E24s while not as good of cars as E28s, sure turn faces a lot faster.

I, like others I'm sure can offer more detail, but only with more detail from what you want. Someplace you've never been to? Something you really want to do? At least in a general sense.
Panici

Post by Panici »

It is all too easy to let life slip away without enjoying the fruits of your labour.
What good is having money saved up for retirement if you never make it there?

-----------------------

Great idea with a roadtrip. Take some time away from the modern world and just cruise in a classic car.
I have always wanted to take a trip across the USA.
For me, it would be even better with a car that might not make it the whole way without some repair. Adds some adventure to the trip when things don't go smoothly.

I plan to get a paper map and avoid the GPS as much as possible. Nicer to hit the twisty roads along the way rather then sticking to the interstate.

Going to save this thread for trip ideas.

It's never too late to go after your dreams, whether it be the bucket-list cars or worldly experiences.
-----------
Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

The first time I drove across this country (from Berkeley, California to Atlanta, Georgia) I was 19 years old, alone, college-aged broke, and in a 1982 320i with no A/C... In August! It was hot as hell, but I learned so much about myself, my car, and this country on that first of what would become of nine trips.

What I'll focus on most from your questions is your car choice. Here are my thoughts:

Porsche 911 - If you go the air-cooled route, as other posters have mentioned, IF the car has air conditioning, it probably will leave much to be desired in the hotter months. The drive will be amazing due to a tactile feel that few cars will ever be able to approach (no power steering, low seating position, rear engine, etc.), but it may be a bit exhaustive over the long haul (depending what your threshold is).
996s and 997s are much more comfortable (997.1 C2 is my favorite "modern" 911 that isn't of the GT ilk), and they will still provide very pure Porsche experiences for the type of journey you're embarking on. All 991s and 992s are amazing, but they are so competent that you'll find yourself really hauling ass before any "fun" takes place. That said, they still feel very special with every mile traveled.

e28 - Seeing that you hang around here, you probably know quite a bit about these cars. I'm planning on driving mine across the nation next summer, so I'll be able to provide you with a seat of the pants perspective in a few months (hopefully!).

e24 - I really, really love the way euro //M6s feel traveling on highways, and I fantasize about taking one on a trip of this nature one day.

e34 - I have always loved the solidity of this chassis, but I think it is that element of the design that makes it difficult for me to have fun in one unless I am driving very, very fast. I had an m-tech 540i that I eventually traded for my m3 for this reason. That said, if you are into stoic traversing of miles with all the confidence in the world that your vehicle can handle any situation that comes its way, an e34 is your car. Triple digit speeds can be downright relaxing on some of those long stretches of highway where the only fear is spike in your insurance rates if you get caught by an awake lawman who writes you up at your actual speed.

No matter what you choose, it sounds like you're in for an amazing adventure that I look forward to reading about at some point. Happy belated birthday!
WilNJ

Post by WilNJ »

So the parameters set out in my initial post were a bit of a pipe dream but I think I've figured out a way to make this work. I'm looking for an E46 or E39 under $15K in the Southwest. The car should be interesting but without an interesting story. Some deferred maintenance would be OK but this will need to be a daily driver in the NE causing me to rule out an E30, E28, E24 or E34.

I'd prefer an M3 but will consider a 330i ZHP as well as a 530i or 540i, with Sport package including the seats.

Let me know if you have any leads, I'm constantly scouring forums, CL and FB so links to those are likely not going to be much help.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

I think that's a wise decision, but boring for those of us watching. :laugh:

Everybody's back is different, but I've had a couple of E39s in the fleet over the years with sport seats and one without, and have found the sport seats lacking. Not saying don't get one, but to me they're no better than E39 comforts, unlike E28s where comfort and sport are dramatically different. I wouldn't exclude a car because it doesn't have sport seats, but driving wise at least there's not much if any difference. Point of reference, IMO E28 comforts are not, not at all comfortable, but E28 sports are among the best I've ever sat in. YMMV.
WilNJ

Post by WilNJ »

Mike W. wrote: Jan 04, 2023 8:25 PM I think that's a wise decision, but boring for those of us watching. :laugh:

Everybody's back is different, but I've had a couple of E39s in the fleet over the years with sport seats and one without, and have found the sport seats lacking. Not saying don't get one, but to me they're no better than E39 comforts, unlike E28s where comfort and sport are dramatically different. I wouldn't exclude a car because it doesn't have sport seats, but driving wise at least there's not much if any difference. Point of reference, IMO E28 comforts are not, not at all comfortable, but E28 sports are among the best I've ever sat in. YMMV.
Contemplating an E46 at the moment. It's near Livermore, CA. Any recommendations on a shop for a PPI?
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

WilNJ wrote: Jan 11, 2023 2:42 PM
Mike W. wrote: Jan 04, 2023 8:25 PM I think that's a wise decision, but boring for those of us watching. :laugh:

Contemplating an E46 at the moment. It's near Livermore, CA. Any recommendations on a shop for a PPI?
I would try memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=11396 Derrith is his screen name here, I believe Derrick is his actual name. He used to be active here, last I knew he worked in a shop somewhere around Livermore. Don't recall the name though.
_marshall

Post by _marshall »

Mike W. wrote: Jan 11, 2023 4:07 PM
WilNJ wrote: Jan 11, 2023 2:42 PM

I would try memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=11396 Derrith is his screen name here, I believe Derrick is his actual name. He used to be active here, last I knew he worked in a shop somewhere around Livermore. Don't recall the name though.
His shop is The Studio in San Mateo! Had them do a 5-speed swap for me that I had put off for too many years. Highly recommend. Send them a message on instagram to get in touch.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

I thought he was east bay, past tense apparently. Odd that they don't even list a phone number, but I guess it's findable.
austin8753

Post by austin8753 »

Logan (derrith) is a good dude. highly recommend "The Studio", they're a great group of folks.
WilNJ

Post by WilNJ »

Thanks, Logan got right back to me.

He also mentioned another shop that is closer to where at least one car I'm considering is located.
Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

If the car is in or near Berkeley, I would recommend Bavarian Professionals. Nat, Eric, or Kelly would be who to ask for.
WilNJ

Post by WilNJ »

Mdreamer wrote: Jan 12, 2023 3:45 PM If the car is in or near Berkeley, I would recommend Bavarian Professionals. Nat, Eric, or Kelly would be who to ask for.
Thank you.
TSMacNeil

Post by TSMacNeil »

Stopped in to update my fleet list. ( I must be insane )

I’ll suggest a different direction. I’d buy a 996/997 ( check for IMS service records ) manual stick Cab and do the west coast with the top down in the warm season. Stay on the PCH as long as possible. The water cooled 911’s have awesome AC and are affordable in the 996/997 production years.

Timed correctly, you could still have the top down and hit Mt Rushmore, Grand Canyon, etc, as you drive East.

You might wind up loving the 911 and keeping it, if not, sell it when you’re done and chalk up the experience for doing something different.

I’ve got the 911 Turbo Cab and the various BMWs…AND I turn 62 in July. Still flying for now. Time is short, we never know just how short.

Carpe Diem
WilNJ

Post by WilNJ »

So this is starting to take shape.

I'm targeting the Bay Area for a location to buy the car because it best fits a desired itinerary.

I'm planning this as a 9/10 day trip which gives me a one-two day buffer before returning to work on Day 12 for more sight seeing and/or delays. I know very little about any of these places so I welcome any feedback.

Day 1 Fly to San Francisco, CA. Early morning flight, complete purchase and spend the night in the Bay Area
Day 2 Bay Area via PCH to Laguna Beach. 8-9 hours drive time, 10-11 hours on road. Spend 2 Nights visiting family
Day 4 Laguna Beach to Flagstaff, via Joshua Tree, 8 drive time, 10 hours on the road
Day 5/6 Flagstaff to Oklahoma City, 14 hours drive time, I'm not sure how to split this up. Suggestions?
Day 6/7 Oklahoma City to Nashville, 10 hours on the road
Day 8/9 Nashville to Charlotte, NC via Cherohala Skyway and Tail of the Dragon, stay with friends, 9 hours drive time, 10-11 hours on the road
Day 9/10 Charlotte to Home, 10 hours on the road
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Joshua Tree is interesting, I've been there a few times, it's got some interesting plant life and the biggest tarantulas I've ever seen sometimes crawling on the road in the south, but you might want to consider bypassing it and hitting the Big Ditch, AKA the Grand Canyon, which is of course a major international destination. Depending on the time of year, your start time and pace, you could make it up there for sunset, which is breathtaking at Mather Point. Many good sunset points and viewpoints, but Mather Point in particular is spectacular at sunset. Do be aware if in Daylight savings time, AZ does not use it so you'll be an hour later. If you do that, everyone goes out to the point, and it is good there to see the canyon, but almost better is at the Amphitheater looking to the west where the sun is actually setting.

You might consider a brief detour thru Petrified Forest NP as it's literally right on 40 but while nice, it's not a huge wow. Perhaps just driving thru a couple of the fabled towns on the way thru if you're interested in the Hwy 66 Americana theme, Williams, Winslow, Gallup etc. Not all of them, but maybe a couple. I've been on 40 East of New Mexico, but don't recall much that was interesting. I do kind have a western/National Parks bias though.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

WilNJ wrote: Jan 31, 2023 2:14 PM Day 1 Fly to San Francisco, CA. Early morning flight, complete purchase and spend the night in the Bay Area
Day 2 Bay Area via PCH to Laguna Beach. 8-9 hours drive time, 10-11 hours on road. Spend 2 Nights visiting family
Day 4 Laguna Beach to Flagstaff, via Joshua Tree, 8 drive time, 10 hours on the road
On the Day 2 leg, PCH (Rte. 1) is only intermittent for that whole distance from SF to Laguna Beach. Also, 10-11 hours seems a bit optimistic if you're trying to stay on PCH as much as possible given that it is no more than surface streets with traffic signals and traffic et al. You will want to scope the road via Google Maps as much as you can to see what the route is (not to mention where it is since it vanishes and reappears at random). I would try to pick those areas along PCH that are worth seeing and map your route to drop in and out of those along the way with nearby freeway connections (e.g. 101 and 405/5).
Those sections in mind mind would be:
-Monterey south through Big Sur (provided the road is still intact and open)
-Big Sur south all the way through San Luis Obispo to Pismo Beach

(Here jump onto 101S and skip the next section to Gaviota. You will make better time on 101 and you're not missing much. You will be right on coast as 101 and PCH overlap on and off all the way past Ventura and to Oxnard.)

-Oxnard south through Malibu to Santa Monica

(Here PCH gets lost in surface streets until you get below LAX airport and is not worth the time. Really the only thing worth seeing south in this section is Rancho Palos Verde and you can only see that if you leave PCH and get on the coast road. RPV is nice and scenic but nothing to compare to Big Sur and Malibu. I would beeline east off PCH at Santa Monica on 10E to 405S and try to gain some time until you get past Long Beach or even Huntington Beach. From there you can pick up PCH again and on into Laguna Beach.)

For Day 4, I would contact the Phoenix guys (Kohler, Adam, Ray) about their experiences on time travel between San Diego and AZ to see if your estimates are accurate. But you're dog-legging across Orange County and through JT and it looks like you haven't accounted for time in the park (which could easily be half to most of a day by itself, unless you're going to just drive through the park without stopping?). Depending on what day of the week and season, JT will be crowded at its' peak seasonal times. The park is worth the visit (especially if it's in the early spring during wildflower season) but adding travel time to Flagstaff from there in one day is unrealistic in my mind.

Happy to meet up with you anywhere in the LA area when you roll through (schedule permitting). When are you roughly planning this?