2022 SoCal Vintage BMW Meet

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
vinceg101

2022 SoCal Vintage BMW Meet

Post by vinceg101 »

15th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet

Come out and celebrate the main theme this year: 50 Years of //M
Saturday November 5, 2022 at Woodley Park in Van Nuys, CA

If you've been to one of these before, you know the event, you know the venue, you know amount of great cars and people that will be there.
If you have not, well there is a hint of it; it's a great day with near 400 cars spanning from vintage all the way through E36's & Z3's. Lot's of vendors and lot's of folks to talk to.

The registration is open and is the best way to sign up:https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/15 ... fIm3PcrAw0
Keep tabs at Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/896882017039287

Use this address to find the exact location: 5798 Woodley Ave, Encino, CA 91316
Kenny Blankenship

Re: 2022 SoCal Vintage BMW Meet

Post by Kenny Blankenship »

Looks like room prices are reasonable, so I'm making my reservations. The E23 probably is not coming. The French/Italian car show is still the day after? I want to see that!!!
mottati

Post by mottati »

yes the french italian show is the following sunday, and it's a great show.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Bump.
1.5 weeks out.
Calling up all the locals to get them to participate.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

We're in the final stretch.
Deadline for online per-registration is this Tuesday 11/1.

Event map is forthcoming (so I'm told). I will post it when I get it.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

So here is the field map for Saturday:

Chose you entrance accordingly. Note: E12's will be with the E23/24/28's.
Also note: All E34's will be grouped with the E32's in between the E31's and E36's/Z3's. This was a decision by the organizers to group all these along a similar generational theme.

Hope to see you all there!
Panici

Post by Panici »

Have fun!
Can't wait to see pics.
John SCB

Post by John SCB »

Just got back from a fantastic showing of cars in perfect SoCal weather. It was great to see our old friends and meet some new ones too. This show truly gets better every year.

Thanks again to Vince for his work in organizing the event. Congratulations to Mr. Kohler on his best of show award! Travel home safely guys.
:roundel:
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

Congrats Chris!!!

Pictars?!?!
Adam W in MN

Post by Adam W in MN »

Pics please!
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Okay, sorry for the delay (life, site down, etc.).
As usual for this event, I ended up taking very little photos and even those only by cell cam (I didn't even pack the DSLR that morning). Also, as this event keeps getting bigger and more and more cars end up on the field, it is extremely difficult to take the time and see them all, even the ones I was interested in seeing. I am not sure the total count, I know the organizers had a lot on their plates in the immediate week following the event, so statistical analysis wasn't at the top of their lists. But rough counts and going off pre-registration had us upwards near 500 cars that morning.
It's gotten so large that one of the suggestions to make the event better/easier for next year, was to implement aerial drone camera coverage for both documentation and real-time monitoring.

Anyway, it was a truly great event and I want to thank my friends and fellow board members for volunteering in the early morning hours setting the field up and parking. Many drove in from far and wide to be here and showed a tremendous spirit of cooperation and community. We had great weather also with rain earlier that week which kept the temperatures down and likely the dust down also (LA Department of Rec & Parks idiocy aside by running the lawn irrigation overnight and semi-flooding portions of the field :roll: ).

Here are whatever photos I have:
Great dog, but true to form, it only cared about the Julian pie in the bag:

A post-game debrief / early dinner at a local deli (Bren'ts in Northridge) which is somewhat a standing tradition:

(Sorry couldn't resist the photo-op):

So on to the People's Choice Winners:
Best Vintage: Ron Perry for his 3.0SCL:

Best Classic: Alpina B9 3.5 #30 (Sorry can't remember the owner's name at the moment)

Best M-Car: Mark Robbins' 1985(?) M635CSi (The car is a fantastic experiment in green, until you get to the engine bay: Oy)

Best Modern Classic: Brian Retke's 1992(?) 850Csi from Las Vegas (More green)

Best Modified: 'Manofied' E30 with a Turbo S52 (Sorry again, can't recall the owner)

Best Sponsor's Car: Son of Cobra (Can't recall who, this is a bad pattern, right?) A great example of custom fiberglass and carbon fiber work, some of the greatest workmanship you will ever see:

Best in Meet: Chris Kohler's 1981 E12 M535i (Most appropriate in my opinion this being the 50 Years of ///M and very well deserved)

Congratulations to all this year's winners!

There are tons more photos and videos on the SoCal Vintage BMW Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/896882017039287

If you ever want to see an incredible array of Vintage and Classic BMW's ranging from the earliest all the way up to the '90's in one place on one great day, you need to mark this in your calendars for next year. If you're coming in from out of town, there is a companion/sister event the next day in the same spot: the French-Italian Show; this way you can make it a whole car weekend.

Drive on!
Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

WOW! Thanks for sharing. Does the meet always fall on the first weekend in November? This is an event I'd certainly like to attend next year.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Mdreamer wrote: Nov 26, 2022 8:44 PM WOW! Thanks for sharing. Does the meet always fall on the first weekend in November? This is an event I'd certainly like to attend next year.
Yes. It was moved to this weekend to be combined with the French & Italian Show the next day so as to share the expenses of the city park fees and insurance. So unless things change with the city (you never know), it will always be this weekend.
Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

[/quote]
Yes. It was moved to this weekend to be combined with the French & Italian Show the next day so as to share the expenses of the city park fees and insurance. So unless things change with the city (you never know), it will always be this weekend.
[/quote]

Understood. My wife's birthday is 11/4, so I'll have to be creative in my planning to pull it off next year. :)