Replacement key question

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
stuartinmn

Replacement key question

Post by stuartinmn »

Is it still possible to get an OEM replacement key that's been cut to match the existing key code? I have a blank key that I could take to a locksmith, but it would be nicer to just be able to buy one that's ready to go.

My existing key still works, just thinking about the future in case it decides to break some day.
Blue Shadow

Re: Replacement key question

Post by Blue Shadow »

Depends on the vehicle. Ask a dealer if they can get you a cut key. They can supply until they run out for your lock.
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

A dealer will order the key from BMW cut to code. There is no limit to how many keys you can get for a pre-EWS (chipped) car. Cut keys from BMW have been known to have some additional "bumps" on the key like the machine they use doesn't care about some of the space between "teeth". I'll check to see if the system still cranks out key codes for our cars by VIN.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

I wish the key code for my car was correct. Ordered keys decades ago and they were nowhere near correct using the key code for the car. Doubt all the locks were changed prior to me buying the car from BMWNA.
austin8753

Post by austin8753 »

i've bought several keys from the dealer in the last couple years and all of them have worked great. hopefully your locks and lock accessories are all original to the car.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

I don't suppose there are key decoder docs out there? Some mfg have documents that you can use along with a set of calipers to figure out what the code is based on cut depth at each position.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Dealer parts guy said they could look at the lock and the tabs in the lock and make a key based on the tab info.

Seems like there are lots of ways around getting a key unless it is one of the chipped keys we don't have.
topher800

Post by topher800 »

The key I got back from the dealer also did not work. They then took a digital photo and sent that off. The next key worked. That was about 5 years ago.

Chris