New 535i owner saying hello!

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
KingstonZ

New 535i owner saying hello!

Post by KingstonZ »

Hello all!

I have just purchased my first E28, a 1985 535i 5-speed in Cosmos Blue over Royal Blue (?).

The car was sold to me as a project. It was a runner, but someone tried to steal it and jacked up the ignition, steering column and a few other things. So the immediate plan is to tidy it up some, get it running, and assess things from there.

The car does have some rust (quel surprise), but nothing that cannot be fixed.

Although this is my 1st E28, it is part of a long line of BMWs I have owned: 2 E36s, 5 E30s, an E39 Touring, an E9, and my other current cars are an E46 330i (street/track car) and an E46 Touring (DD status).

I am still very much learning about these cars, and have been lurking around this site for a few weeks. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to such a good site!

The car had been sitting for years, and will needs lots of TLC…but she will get it!
stuartinmn

Re: New 535i owner saying hello!

Post by stuartinmn »

Welcome! You may have already found it, but check out the Tech FAQ section - a lot of common issues are covered in there. Also, get yourself a Bentley repair manual, their e28 version is pretty good.
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

:wave:

Best wishes for a great experience.
Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

Welcome!

Seeing that you've had so many cool Bimmers already, it only makes sense that you've found your way into an e28. I think you'll enjoy how it compares to the e30s you've had. One major advantage to having an e28 is this forum, however. :)
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

Welcome! Good luck with the project!
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Welcome to our group!

With your background there probably won't be a ton of surprises, but they've all got there little quirks. E30s are probably most similar of those you mentioned, although the M30 is a bit different, but E9 background covers that.