Vintage in one week- who is going?

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
Bonsaibacker

Vintage in one week- who is going?

Post by Bonsaibacker »

In addition to taking roll call, I am wondering if there is anyone headed down from Ohio who can transport a hood. I big ask, but you never know.

Will be bringing my 533i. Resurrected and testing on an 8 hour road trip.
John in VA

Re: Vintage in one week- who is going?

Post by John in VA »

Some of the 2002 crew are caravanning from OH - https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic ... tage-2022/
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

I'll be there, staying in the campground across from the venue at Hot Springs. In my black '88 with mangled Euro conversion. "Nebraska_E28" and Geordi (don't recall his handle here) will be there as well.
2dye4

Post by 2dye4 »

Anyone making the trek from Pa area?
jimoreno

Post by jimoreno »

I'm heading up from near Tampa, FL on Friday morning. Still debating if stopping by the Foundation to see the M display.
dsmith

Post by dsmith »

I’ll be up there. Planning to make the Thursday fun run.
gray635

Post by gray635 »

I'll be there. Wouldn't want to break my string - attending since 2008.

Can't leave soon enough to make the Thursday drive, unfortunately. Looking forward to seeing the gang again.
Last edited by gray635 on May 18, 2022 5:56 PM, edited 1 time in total.
craigb93

Post by craigb93 »

Anyone need a room at the Clarion?

I reserved in January but now can't attend.

I will turn it in tomorrow PM if no one needs it. Two queens I think.

-Dick
Nebraska_e28
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Nebraska_e28 »

I arrived with Geordi yesterday. Oh and we brought his Alpina B9. We are staying in Hot Springs.
Looking forward to seeing some new faces as well as the regular crew!
Foonfer

Post by Foonfer »

Can't make it this year unfortunately - car's in the shop. Weather has been fairly cool in the Northeast this spring that I bet it'll be a beautiful drive.

I have been there only once (in 2017) and loved it. Look forward to the next time!
cek

Post by cek »

Bummed I'm not there.
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

Here.
Cactus

Post by Cactus »

Every year I say I'm not going to be the last guy in the parking lot, and yet me and Dudley have closed it down once again.
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

Cactus wrote: May 21, 2022 4:05 AM Every year I say I'm not going to be the last guy in the parking lot, and yet me and Dudley have closed it down once again.

It was good seeing :beer: you guys.
Bonsaibacker

Post by Bonsaibacker »

Was a great event. Enjoyed the mountains and the gathering.
Had an issue- the high pressure power steering hose on my 533i bit the dust during a spirited mountain ride. Found a local guy with a parts car but learned that later models use a banjo bolt at the pump and the older models are a direct screw in. Anyway, after sweating that for a day and not wanting to impact my posse's trip, I resolved to park the car until time to go home. Pulled the belt, plugged the holes and strong armed and legged that lame horse back home. I CANNOT recommend following my example, it was the most focused driving I have ever done for that long of a drive. The details are boring- like listening to someone complain about their maladies- but everyone survived unscathed. Serious lesson though- replace 40 year old high pressure lines, and not with used ones. I will be taking taking the hose to a hydraulic hose shop as new ones are $250+. My friend just had his done for $60 in Savannah.

On the way up (early Thursday- maybe 7am ish) I was passed by a peppy 528e (Polaris or Cosmo) headed up from Florida as well. Thumbs up and a brief exchange at 70+MPH confirmed he was headed to the vintage. Did not catch up with him but am hoping he is on here. I moved to Palatka (northern Florida) a year ago and have yet to find other vintage Bimmer enthusiasts nearby so I was tickled when I saw his car go breezing by. If you're on here buddy, I was in a Black 533i and you passed me around or before Brunswick on I95N.

Also met Nebraska and Geordi for a parts hand off and tire kicking. Quality people. Never ceases to amaze me how the folks on this forum who participate in these events and contribute to this site are of a higher caliber. Thanks mye28.com!

Looking forward to next year and I hope you all return as well.
Nebraska_e28
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Nebraska_e28 »

Happy to have met your acquaintance!
I was hopefull the APB I put out would yield something or some options. If I was more familiar with the area, I would've happily made a drive to a hydraulics shop to have one made for ya. Tough though late on a Friday when most places probably close early.

You're not alone in the hose breakdown unexpectedly. Enter circa 5erFest 2007. I drove apx 13hrs non-stop from Omaha to Chattanooga. Easily 100+ temps on my first solo flight to check out what these events were all about and a non-stop drive. As I pulled into the event (in the BMW of Chattanooga parking lot) the hi-pressure hose on my 533i blew center stage. :roll: Embarrassing to say the least. :oops: Within minutes I was surrounded by several attendees offering help and even tools. Low and behold there was a gentelman (I can't recall who) that had a hose he was selling. He donated to me for free! Even while installing the hose and sweating my nutz to death, several people still offered to help and even brought me water.

One helluva first experience into unknown territory of these vintage cars. Stories like this and the great people (most of them) behind these cars are what have kept my interest strong!

Glad to hear you made it home safe!
jimoreno

Post by jimoreno »

I was with the seven E28's close to the food trucks at the back. There were a couple more close the entrance so I guess they got there really early. Had a great time, no mechanical hiccups (knock on wood) and even with the AC blasting. Because my wife had a boot on her left leg we stayed most of the time in the chairs, I did a couple of rounds but actually barely took pictures. I told the wife that we will need to start traveling a day earlier to actually partake on some of the "unofficial" activities! Here are a couple of pics:

(Please ignore whatever was that white piece on my lower lip! :laugh: )

The river was very inviting! We did get a strong rain with some small hail on our way back to the hotel in the afternoon.

And a short phone video:
https://i.imgur.com/t1lliG2.mp4
garageboy

Post by garageboy »

Foonfer wrote: May 19, 2022 6:04 PM Can't make it this year unfortunately - car's in the shop.
Why? What's wrong? :(
Foonfer

Post by Foonfer »

garageboy wrote: Jun 05, 2022 4:55 AM
Foonfer wrote: May 19, 2022 6:04 PM Can't make it this year unfortunately - car's in the shop.
Why? What's wrong? :(
Nothing's "wrong", just regular stuff that needed taking care of...