Covercraft floor mats

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
sheebs

Covercraft floor mats

Post by sheebs »

Just a small product review. I was looking for some replacement floor mats, I'd been proudly rocking my originals until the foam backing basically disentegrated to dust and the heel pad wore thru.
Anyway I read recommendations of Covercraft and that they'd manufactured the original mats (?) The price was decent, not as expensive as some of the swankier choices (Coco mats etc), so I figured I'd give them a go.
Started out by ordering the "plush" mats for an '86 535i. Aside from color, no real options available except custom embroidered words or a logo stitched in(!) Mats appear to be decent quality, edge loop embroidered with rubber backing. No grommets or heel pad, wish they did. Anyway, first thing I noticed was the driver mat did not take into account the dead pedal (do some e28s not have this?) Long story short, I contacted Covercraft to make a return, which they happily did, and informed me they had a new pattern that did indeed accommodate the dead pedal. Decided to try them and the new mats actually have a flap that runs up the dead pedal. In my mind it would fit around the dead pedal at the floor and leave it exposed. Seems fine, just different. Overall fit front and rear is quite good actually, rears are a shade too long so they don't lay perfectly flat. Fine by me.

BMWCCA2

Re: Covercraft floor mats

Post by BMWCCA2 »

That "flap" over the dead-pedal was how they made them for BMWNA originally. A stick-on tab of velcro that never stayed in place. The backing is much improved. Never said they were OE, but they were what BMW NA sold through their parts department for some time. That's back before floor mats came standard. At one point they had "mitten clips" with pins to hold them to the carpet.
Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

Thanks for the write-up. I had not even thought to look at Covercraft as an option before your review, but now I may.
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

I have OEM mats and the driver's side has also worn through the heel pad and the backing foam is kaput, so this looks like a decent alternative. Do you have to buy the whole set, or can you get just the fronts?
sheebs

Post by sheebs »

stuartinmn wrote: May 04, 2022 9:16 PM I have OEM mats and the driver's side has also worn through the heel pad and the backing foam is kaput, so this looks like a decent alternative. Do you have to buy the whole set, or can you get just the fronts?
Only in full sets, at least via the website. My interactions with them was pretty direct/personal, be worth asking if they'd do just fronts.