My First E28!

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
Panici

My First E28!

Post by Panici »

Hi Everyone,

Long time viewer, first time poster.
I've always wanted an E28 ever since my friends had a brown one back in highschool.

About eight years ago I bought an E30 which has been a restomod project ever since. Pictures in my build thread (http://e30.panici.ca).

I've always kept my eyes open for an E28 and thought they were now out of my pricerange. They are becoming extremely rare in my part of Canada due to age and rust.

On April 18th I got lucky and picked up a 1986 535i for below market value. It was still double what I paid for my E30 back in 2014, but it felt like "now or never"!

Let me say that it looks better in pictures then it does in person. It does run and drive but will need some work before I'm comfortable putting it back on the road. And it will need even more work to be anywhere near "nice".
First jobs will be fixing the speedometer, radiator fan, and the mix of coolant and power steering fluid leaving rapidly from below the car. :laugh:

I plan to make a build thread once I get started on the car, but for now I just wanted to say hello and I'm glad to be here!
Nice to see a forum with a long history and active current membership!

Last edited by Panici on May 01, 2022 11:16 AM, edited 2 times in total.
1st 5er

Re: My First E28!

Post by 1st 5er »

Welcome, CONGRATS, and enjoy...
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Welcome to the group!

The pics don't show bad, though you say it doesn't look quite that good. Do I see failing clearcoat or just mineral deposits from a wash without drying it off?

Regardless, you're probably right about now or never, prices are going up and availability is going down.
Panici

Post by Panici »

1st 5er wrote: Apr 28, 2022 1:34 PM Welcome, CONGRATS, and enjoy...
Mike W. wrote: Apr 28, 2022 10:24 PM Welcome to the group!

The pics don't show bad, though you say it doesn't look quite that good. Do I see failing clearcoat or just mineral deposits from a wash without drying it off?

Regardless, you're probably right about now or never, prices are going up and availability is going down.
Thanks guys!

Yeah, the clearcoat is shot on the roof and truck.
Topside there is a rust hole through the driver's side front fender, and some rust on the tail panel.

Haven't taken a detailed look underneath yet, but I did see some soft spots/holes in the floorpans and trunk when I first looked at the car.
Nothing I can't handle after dealing with rust on both my other BMWs. I've actually gotten quite good at sheet metal fab and welding now!
Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

Congratulations, and welcome to the fold! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it.
Panici

Post by Panici »

Mdreamer wrote: May 10, 2022 12:38 AM Congratulations, and welcome to the fold! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it.
Thanks!
I haven't even started on it yet besides trying a vinyl cleaner on the (very cracked) dash and door cards.
I used to use Lexol Vinylex but it has been discontinued. Giving some "Meguiar's Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner & Protectant" a try. I believe the normal application for this stuff is marine so hopefully it works.

Usually I get right into a new project, but this time I want to get my E30 back on the road first!
Engine is back on the mounts, but still lots to do.
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

I hadn't heard about Vinylex being discontinued, that's disappointing. It appears you can still buy it from Amazon or Pep Boys but I guess they must just be selling off inventory.

Another excellent vinyl product is 303 Aerospace Protectant.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

stuartinmn wrote: May 10, 2022 8:06 PM I hadn't heard about Vinylex being discontinued, that's disappointing. It appears you can still buy it from Amazon or Pep Boys but I guess they must just be selling off inventory.

Another excellent vinyl product is 303 Aerospace Protectant.
Vinylex was discontinued a few years back (had I known I would have stocked up). There was one vendor on Amazon showing they have it (but at over $30 per bottle) and I wouldn't be so sure they even have it. I tried chasing down a few listings across the internet back at the end of 2021 and no one had any. My quick search at Pep Boys' website didn't even find the product so I wouldn't rely on them.

I am trying out a replacement recommended by an online retailer I have been buying from on and off for 2 decades: McKee's Interior Surface Protectant.
It isn't necessarily inexpensive either but I have used it a few times and it appears pretty good:
https://carcarespecialties.com/product/ ... tant-22oz/

To the OP: Welcome! looking forward to seeing your progress.
Panici

Post by Panici »

vinceg101 wrote: May 11, 2022 11:21 AM
stuartinmn wrote: May 10, 2022 8:06 PM Another excellent vinyl product is 303 Aerospace Protectant.
McKee's Interior Surface Protectant.
How well do these soak into the surface?
One of the reasons I liked Vinylex is that it seemed to restore the plastisizers in the surface.

The first time you apply it to an old dashboard it is absorbed completely within half an hour. Subsequent applications absorb less until it's at what I would call steady-state.
Time between applications shows different absorption (monthly vs 6 months for example).

Mostly interested in something that will help the dash stay pliable and prevent additional cracking.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Panici wrote: May 11, 2022 12:49 PM
vinceg101 wrote: May 11, 2022 11:21 AM
stuartinmn wrote: May 10, 2022 8:06 PM Another excellent vinyl product is 303 Aerospace Protectant.
McKee's Interior Surface Protectant.
How well do these soak into the surface?
One of the reasons I liked Vinylex is that it seemed to restore the plastisizers in the surface.

The first time you apply it to an old dashboard it is absorbed completely within half an hour. Subsequent applications absorb less until it's at what I would call steady-state.
Time between applications shows different absorption (monthly vs 6 months for example).

Mostly interested in something that will help the dash stay pliable and prevent additional cracking.
I haven't used the McKee's much of it as I am still working through the last of my Vinylex but from my limited use thus far, it acts a lot like Vinylex. So there is hope.
I used the 303 a long time in the past and from what I remember I didn't really like it compared to Vinylex. It just didn't seem to have any staying power if that makes any sense. Admittedly I haven't used it recently so maybe it's worth another look since it's a lot more available than McKee's.
bronziti

Post by bronziti »

Following for updates!
cek

Post by cek »

Color me pissed Re: vinylex. I’ve sworn by that stuff forever fuq.

Welcome to the fold OP!
rod paine

Post by rod paine »

Great machine indeed and hope you enjoy it as much as we did our 1983 528e,
now up north in a good home and enjoyed by its current owner.
-Rod
Panici

Post by Panici »

E28 update. It's looking like a project for next spring at this rate.

Unfortunately it's being stored outside, but I have been regularly changing out moisture absorbers in the car to keep the damp away from the interior. It's definitely not watertight and needs seals.
I did install a radio delete panel and window switch from my E30 parts stash, and unplugged the annoying door buzzer. I bought a set of interior sun shades to try to keep the UV at bay.

I've started it a few times to move it in the driveway. The E28 never fails to kick over and run like a charm! Going from memory, but I recall an Optima Red Top in there.

Have to be careful not to idle it for too long, as there is no clutch fan and the electric fan is inoperable.

In other news, I have been very busy on my E30. Actually just took it for the first test drive (since 2020) on the weekend. And parked it beside the E28 for the first time. Family photo of sorts with the E36 lurking in the background :laugh:

Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Panici wrote: Jul 18, 2022 1:46 PM E28 update. It's looking like a project for next spring at this rate.

Unfortunately it's being stored outside, but I have been regularly changing out moisture absorbers in the car to keep the damp away from the interior. It's definitely not watertight and needs seals.
And maybe a car cover. Those help.

Metallic browns seem to look good on the 80s BMW boxes. Roy did a 5 over the top reconstruction in Sepang.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=113146&p=1451853
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=157072&p=1514047

Have you posted your E30 in the Eye Candy forum? and of course, the E28 when that work gets underway.
Panici

Post by Panici »

Blue Shadow wrote: Jul 18, 2022 1:58 PM And maybe a car cover. Those help.

Metallic browns seem to look good on the 80s BMW boxes. Roy did a 5 over the top reconstruction in Sepang.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=113146&p=1451853
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=157072&p=1514047

Have you posted your E30 in the Eye Candy forum? and of course, the E28 when that work gets underway.
Do you have a car cover you'd recommend? I had a cheap one in the past and it just seemed to trap dirt between the cover and the paint. Something that can handle ice and snow loads.

I'll check out those threads, I agree that brown says 80s German to me as well.

I can post my E30 in the Eye Candy forum if it's something you guys would enjoy?
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

I have the 80s era Evolution three-layer that I used when the car was outside. Did a fine job but there are so many different styles and materials now you might check covercraft for what they offer and see if there are good reviews of them.