Headers: IE “CSL-style” vs Supersprint

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
Foonfer

Headers: IE “CSL-style” vs Supersprint

Post by Foonfer »

NOTE: Not sure if this topic should go in Tech Talk or in General Conversation...

Does anyone have experience with Ireland Engineering's “CSL-style” long-tube headers, how would they compare with Supersprint?

Looking at website info & photos, what I have been able to glean is the following...

Supersprint headers: https://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/bmw-5 ... ve.aspx#!/
Pros for Supersprint: Well, everyone knows it's the Patek Philippe of headers, essentially...
Cons for Supersprint: $$$$$

IE CSL headers: https://www.iemotorsport.com/product/gr ... aders-m30/
Pros for IE headers: No idea, but people seem to speak well of IE in general.
Cons for IE headers:
- They are made of 409 stainless (vs 304 for Supersprint - This info is not on IE's website, I got confirmation from IE via email. Also per IE, they "can not" fabricate this item in 304).
- There's no visible welds on outer side of pipes at connection to flange (vs visible welds on Supersprint).
- Per IE website: "fit is tight" - "some clearancing/slight modification may need to be made" - Things that make you go HMMMMM

Any input is appreciated, thanks
Last edited by Foonfer on Apr 13, 2022 5:42 PM, edited 1 time in total.
BuzzBomb

Re: Headers: IE “CSL-style” vs Supersprint

Post by BuzzBomb »

The difference would be that the Supersprint headers are made to fit the e28/24 chassis, the "CSL style" are not. The headers on the IE website are sadly advertised to fit the E28 chassis but will not without substantial modification. They never test fit them in an E28. Those headers are a copy of the headers we had made to fit an E9 historic race car that were a near perfect copy of original Alpina headers originally fit to the car. Even in the E9, the frame rail needed to be notched. Andrew at IE for some reason chose to include them in E28 fitment, with the addition of the needs to be modified to fit statement. Of course, anything will fit if you don't mind modifying the shit out of it to fit.. (ie BFH).
Foonfer

Post by Foonfer »

Thanks, BuzzBomb- your impression is pretty close to what I suspected. I also heard the story of the Alpina reproduction.

Now, other than the "BFH" technique (I had to look it up :laugh: ), do you have experience or know of any examples of successful fitment of these headers to an E28, and how much modification did they require?
BuzzBomb

Post by BuzzBomb »

I know no-one who even tried. I know generally speaking, shorty headers will fit most big 6 cars, '70s-80s. Long tube headers divide what they will fit. I have the E9 CSL headers that were copied at my shop. I also have an E28 at my shop. Someday I may see if they fit. Spoiler, I probably won't ever get to it. My advice, forget about trying to fit E9 headers in your E28. Some things aren't meant to go together (Pizza with pineapple, etc).