Opinions. Which BMW is the perfect car for a road trip

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
pbp338

Opinions. Which BMW is the perfect car for a road trip

Post by pbp338 »

Which model and year BMW ( or other brand if you think there may be something superior) is the perfect car for a road trip and why.

Im interested in hearing opinions about comfort, practicality, fun, power and convenience.

Out of my experience (I haven’t driven an e28 for a long distance yet) my favourite car for road trip so far has to be my 1990 e34 M5.
Ample power for some fun around twisties and passing power.
Generous space for luggage and passengers.
Comfortable seats and good ergonomics.

What are your thoughts?
SeattleGuy

Re: Opinions. Which BMW is the perfect car for a road trip

Post by SeattleGuy »

You are driving it, IMO. Love my E28 and I'm OK in it from Seattle to LA but really the E34 is better without being too big or too complicated.
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

I've often thought about which car I'd want to use for an extended cross-country road trip.

For a BMW I'd probably choose a late (2000 or 2001) E38. I'd be happy with either a 740i or 750i. It would have to be a lower-mileage example with all maintenance up-to-date.

But the ideal non-BMW would be a Lexus LS 430, a perfect long-distance cruiser that I wouldn't have to fret about so much. I could probably return from the road trip and continue to use it as a trouble-free daily driver for the rest of my natural life.
(There's a nice one on BaT right now: < https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2002-lexus-ls430-2 >)
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

the original driver's car, the 2002 e10 of course. Silly question. :up: :cool:

4 cylinder motor, 30mpg, big trunk, incredible visibility from the driver's seat, and most of all you'll get multiple thumbs every day up from other drivers.

My wife and I drove our 72 2002tii from Seattle to the Vintage at the Vineyards and back, almost 3 weeks on the road, through Yellowstone, Black Hills, Mt. Rushmore etc and had a blast. My tii is set up for driving, pretty firm suspension, and when we would stop for the day we would sway a little like we got off a boat. And with no air conditioning, your left arm will be more suntan than your right keeping the window down.

Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

e39 530i sport package.

This isn't only the ultimate perfect BMW for a road trip, it is the ultimate BMW in my opinion. The build quality is excellent, there is ample power to accelerate past whatever one needs to, the seats are comfortable, the trunk is large, and it even gets good gas mileage. I've owned three of these over the years and I would be willing to purchase another if I found one in the right condition with the colors/options that I like.
garageboy

Post by garageboy »

Opinions are like assholes... everybody's got one....

To me, any road trip car HAS to have a manual transmission. So for ME, that rules out a lotta hardware. The best part about traveling to Europe used to be going up to the rental car counter at the airport and getting a nice manual transmission BMW. But that doesn't happen anymore. Most rentals are automatics in Europe, especially with BMWs because they're "luxury" cars now...

In America, the most angst-ridden part of the trip is the car rental, since I'm always worried about what car I might get because it is almost guaranteed to suck balls. If the Hertz Prestige collection is available, sometimes the selection doesn't totally suck balls...

...which is why I prefer my own car for road trips. I only have manuals. I would narrow it down to two road trip choices... either my E28, big greenhouse, reliable as a rock no matter the mileage as long as it's properly maintained, lotsa room, big trunk, completely adequate A/C (1988) and not as many thumbs-up as an 02, which is fine by me since I prefer anonymity... or my E39, which ONLY makes sense if it has fold-down seats, which is a 530i manual. But the E39 would HAVE to have far less than 100k miles, because my experience is that E39s fail catastrophically (whether the coolant system, any of a number of sensors, or as I recently experienced, a computer -- in my case, the ABS trifecta), and I would NOT want to be on the road trip when my odometer stops working. That would piss me right off.

And I've run 2 E28s -- garaged -- up to 300k miles and never had the odometer gears shit the bed on me. Ever. I'm guessing it's sitting-outside-heat-related... When E28s fail on me, they telegraph a problem over thousands of miles before component failure... usually enough time to get home... or get it repaired. That's why my 11,400-mile road trip to South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, and Colorado in 2019 was with my E28, and my next road trip to the Atlantic Provinces of Canada will be in my E28. However, if I DO try to go up into Labrador, I think, even in the summertime, it would be best to park the E28 and rent a truck-like vehicle for that portion of the trip.

It really depends what your road trip is about. When I used to visit my parents in Hilton Head, I would love blasting down from NYC in my E39 because it is a supremely comfortable, stable, no drama, and I can make excellent time. But I was not stopping along the way except for gas and peeing. I was trying to get 850 miles done in about 12 hours... 13 if I decided to stop for North Carolina bbq...

So there IS no one answer. It depends on the trip. When I drove to Yellowstone NP in 2019, I felt confident with my "low tech" E28 over my "high tech" E39. But a new or nearly new G30 5er with a nice engine and 6-speed manual? That could definitely do the trick for me. :)
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

gwb72tii wrote: Mar 28, 2022 11:08 PM the original driver's car, the 2002 e10 of course. Silly question. :up: :cool:

4 cylinder motor, 30mpg, big trunk, incredible visibility from the driver's seat, and most of all you'll get multiple thumbs every day up from other drivers.

My wife and I drove our 72 2002tii from Seattle to the Vintage at the Vineyards and back, almost 3 weeks on the road, through Yellowstone, Black Hills, Mt. Rushmore etc and had a blast. My tii is set up for driving, pretty firm suspension, and when we would stop for the day we would sway a little like we got off a boat. And with no air conditioning, your left arm will be more suntan than your right keeping the window down.

Arches National Park, the 3 Gossips by Courthouse Wash. Been there many times and never get tired of it. Great shot with the '02 in the foreground. :up:

On topic, sedans are better for a variety of reasons, and we did 25,783 vacation miles in the E28, but somehow my E24 chewed up miles better. Wasn't even nearly a good example, but somehow more miles could be covered with less effort. Dunno why.
pbp338

Post by pbp338 »

Mdreamer wrote: Mar 29, 2022 8:46 AM e39 530i sport package.

This isn't only the ultimate perfect BMW for a road trip, it is the ultimate BMW in my opinion. The build quality is excellent, there is ample power to accelerate past whatever one needs to, the seats are comfortable, the trunk is large, and it even gets good gas mileage. I've owned three of these over the years and I would be willing to purchase another if I found one in the right condition with the colors/options that I like.
E39 is a great choice as well!
gwb72tii wrote: Mar 28, 2022 11:08 PM the original driver's car, the 2002 e10 of course. Silly question. :up: :cool:

wow! nice picture and the 02 is a beaut!
Nice to hear road trip stories! Keep on enjoying!

I miss my 2002 but it was not that fun to drive long distances. My suspension setup was too stiff even for a weekend driver.
Id love to road trip an 02. Hopefully in the future if I find a good example.

heres a picture..
Last edited by pbp338 on Apr 04, 2022 5:04 PM, edited 1 time in total.
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

nice! love the exhaust too.
MrZ

Post by MrZ »

The E34 M5 continues to be the best 'golden-era' road trip/highway BMW in my opinion. Less wind/road noise than the e23/24/28, far superior HVAC, stiffer chassis, better riding, and still very much an analog driving experience.
a

Post by a »

The one with the best AC :laugh:
az533

Post by az533 »

I haven't seen my nearly favorite car mentioned so I'd like to chime in.

If you're on a road trip, you might prefer a vehicle that feels comfortable at higher speeds, AND isn't too noisy. Throw in surprisingly nimble handling ( for its size ) and toe-pressure braking...

Drum-roll: I present the E32 735iL. It's been my 2 and 4 hour road-trip vehicle of choice for 5+ years now. Front seats adjust to your mood. My car has a 5-speed manual ( which I swapped ) so it's also fun to drive.
garageboy

Post by garageboy »

az533 wrote: Apr 09, 2022 6:53 PM I haven't seen my nearly favorite car mentioned so I'd like to chime in.

If you're on a road trip, you might prefer a vehicle that feels comfortable at higher speeds, AND isn't too noisy. Throw in surprisingly nimble handling ( for its size ) and toe-pressure braking...

Drum-roll: I present the E32 735iL. It's been my 2 and 4 hour road-trip vehicle of choice for 5+ years now. Front seats adjust to your mood. My car has a 5-speed manual ( which I swapped ) so it's also fun to drive.
This is a 5-series group, after all, but your point is well taken. For all the reasons you stated, a 7er, with a manual transmission, no less, is everything the 5er is, and more. You're very lucky to be one of the few to have such a car. I'd consider the 5er as possibly the 2nd best perfect road trip car.

But wouldn't a 6-speed manual mated to a V8 4-liter (from E39) in an E32 or E38 be even better?

Then again, that puts an E39 M5 back into the running...

I still think it depends on the purpose of the road trip. Some BMWs do better on dirt roads than others. Some BMWs are meant for 200kph cruising.
e24mpwr

Post by e24mpwr »

I have loved road-tripping in my M635, but I have to say my friend Anita's former Alpina E34 B10 BiTurbo was a pure pleasure to drive. It absolutely gobbled up miles - incredibly comfortable Recaros that made me entirely fine using the full measure of the extended-range gas tank, fantastic suspension and the bi-turbo setup was pure alacrity: Me - "I want to be there", Car - "OK - Done." And the Alpina integration with the car is superb.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

e24mpwr wrote: Apr 09, 2022 11:34 PM I have loved road-tripping in my M635, but I have to say my friend Anita's former Alpina E34 B10 BiTurbo was a pure pleasure to drive. It absolutely gobbled up miles - incredibly comfortable Recaros that made me entirely fine using the full measure of the extended-range gas tank, fantastic suspension and the bi-turbo setup was pure alacrity: Me - "I want to be there", Car - "OK - Done." And the Alpina integration with the car is superb.
While not disputing a word of what you said, and I may be wrong, I think you missed the essence of the thread. Picking a unicorn car, I mean there's probably more Lambo Countachs in the country, is almost meaningless. It's like if a post asked, what's the best handling car you've ever driven, and saying this Williams F1 car I took a lap in one time. Yeah, but...

Apologies in advance if I'm overly abrasive, but I still think you missed the point.
CSBM5

Post by CSBM5 »

If I fast forward through the years of owning BMWs since the late 70s...my Bavaria was my only car for a few years, and my wife and I took many road trips in it. Although the suspension was very taught (springs, Bilsteins, 28mm/22mm sway bars, Alpina subframe bushings, etc, etc) the Recaro LS' were amazing and one of the best mods I did to that car, and they made road travel actually very comfortable in it. However, in 1986 we bought her an E28 535i 5MT/LSD that was almost new, and that became the go to car for travel for many years. It was such a step up from the Bavaria in comfort, noise, HVAC, that I was elated anytime we'd go on a trip. Of course we'd only owned it a few months when it received Dinan sway bars, Konis, and 16" Rial wheels.

In 1992, now that the kids were a good bit older, I took over the E28 as my daily, and we bought an E32 735i. Wow. What an amazing car for road trips circa early 1990s. I'm not sure there was a better one out there for what we were after -- combination of room, ride comfort, handling, connected to the road feeling, HVAC (huge improvement...until the flap motor mounts break years later), etc. The first car I'd ever owned where I didn't immediately want to modify the suspension by at least adding roll stiffness. I can recall one trip from Orlando to Raleigh we did leaving late in the day and driving straight through with one or two bathroom stops, Passport looking out for radar...and arriving not feeling wounded and wasted at all.

I sold that one in 1996 when I replaced it with another E32, this one a 5MT/LSD example I bought from my father who ordered it new (I had bought the Bavaria from him too since he bought that new in 1972). We had looked and looked for a 5MT one years earlier, but they were so rare that we settled on the auto in 1992. I loved that 5MT E32 735i. We drove it on many trips and it shared the garage with an 850R wagon (which was much more brutish and loud for highway travel). I finally sold the 735i in 2002 when I bought an E39 which then became the go to trip car for many years. The E39 M5 is a fantastic car for traveling..huge power (well back then it was the fastest sedan there was for a bit), supremely comfortable, well composed, quiet, and in 6th gear at 70mph, I regularly saw 25-26mpg on cruise control. My most memorable trip in that car was from Denver to Raleigh in 2004 with goal being "get there" as opposed to sightseeing. Getting on I-70 at 4am in Colby, KS and not seeing another vehicle for 10 minutes in either direction, that M5 with a Valentine on the lookout was amazing...you know, the first time you experience "real power" that is composed, secure and in a car with just superb high fidelity inputs into your senses. :cool: Sadly, I sold the M5 in 2018 on BaT after many years of fun.
e24mpwr

Post by e24mpwr »

Mike W. wrote: Apr 10, 2022 1:05 AMWhile not disputing a word of what you said, and I may be wrong, I think you missed the essence of the thread. Picking a unicorn car, I mean there's probably more Lambo Countachs in the country, is almost meaningless. It's like if a post asked, what's the best handling car you've ever driven, and saying this Williams F1 car I took a lap in one time. Yeah, but...

Apologies in advance if I'm overly abrasive, but I still think you missed the point.
I didn't see anything that said "price-limited" or "more attainable than a Lambo" in the OP's post. Image

I'm sure glad you're here to police the thread though... :roll:

But fine - I'll adjust my most-real-world-attainable answer to be an E39 M5. Super comfortable, seriously fast, holds four people comfortably with a fair amount of space for things like luggage.
az533

Post by az533 »

garageboy wrote: Apr 09, 2022 11:08 PM
But wouldn't a 6-speed manual mated to a V8 4-liter (from E39) in an E32 or E38 be even better?
I think it would! I have a similar plan. I picked up a 100k mile E32 750iL with a dead tranny and whining sound coming from the motor. It was originally owned by Camille Cosby before the PO beat it to death. I could probably fix the motor, but acquiring the 6-speed manual that bolts to the M70 would be difficult and/or very expensive. Since I'm also not interested in a 300hp V12, I intend to swap-in an M30 and install the TCD turbo kit I acquired here many years ago.
e24mpwr

Post by e24mpwr »

An alternate answer (but also high on the hard-to-own scale...) would be a 6-speed-converted E38 740i.
e24mpwr

Post by e24mpwr »

Awesome car, and Arches is one of my favorite places. Your color is perfect for dawn there ;)
pbp338

Post by pbp338 »

e24mpwr wrote: Apr 09, 2022 11:34 PM I have loved road-tripping in my M635, but I have to say my friend Anita's former Alpina E34 B10 BiTurbo was a pure pleasure to drive. It absolutely gobbled up miles - incredibly comfortable Recaros that made me entirely fine using the full measure of the extended-range gas tank, fantastic suspension and the bi-turbo setup was pure alacrity: Me - "I want to be there", Car - "OK - Done." And the Alpina integration with the car is superb.
Alpina looks :up: :up: :up:

CSBM5 wrote: Apr 10, 2022 7:14 AM If I fast forward through the years of owning BMWs since the late 70s...my Bavaria was my only car for a few years, and my wife and I took many road trips in it. Although the suspension was very taught (springs, Bilsteins, 28mm/22mm sway bars, Alpina subframe bushings, etc, etc) the Recaro LS' were amazing and one of the best mods I did to that car, and they made road travel actually very comfortable in it. However, in 1986 we bought her an E28 535i 5MT/LSD that was almost new, and that became the go to car for travel for many years. It was such a step up from the Bavaria in comfort, noise, HVAC, that I was elated anytime we'd go on a trip. Of course we'd only owned it a few months when it received Dinan sway bars, Konis, and 16" Rial wheels.

In 1992, now that the kids were a good bit older, I took over the E28 as my daily, and we bought an E32 735i. Wow. What an amazing car for road trips circa early 1990s. I'm not sure there was a better one out there for what we were after -- combination of room, ride comfort, handling, connected to the road feeling, HVAC (huge improvement...until the flap motor mounts break years later), etc. The first car I'd ever owned where I didn't immediately want to modify the suspension by at least adding roll stiffness. I can recall one trip from Orlando to Raleigh we did leaving late in the day and driving straight through with one or two bathroom stops, Passport looking out for radar...and arriving not feeling wounded and wasted at all.

I sold that one in 1996 when I replaced it with another E32, this one a 5MT/LSD example I bought from my father who ordered it new (I had bought the Bavaria from him too since he bought that new in 1972). We had looked and looked for a 5MT one years earlier, but they were so rare that we settled on the auto in 1992. I loved that 5MT E32 735i. We drove it on many trips and it shared the garage with an 850R wagon (which was much more brutish and loud for highway travel). I finally sold the 735i in 2002 when I bought an E39 which then became the go to trip car for many years. The E39 M5 is a fantastic car for traveling..huge power (well back then it was the fastest sedan there was for a bit), supremely comfortable, well composed, quiet, and in 6th gear at 70mph, I regularly saw 25-26mpg on cruise control. My most memorable trip in that car was from Denver to Raleigh in 2004 with goal being "get there" as opposed to sightseeing. Getting on I-70 at 4am in Colby, KS and not seeing another vehicle for 10 minutes in either direction, that M5 with a Valentine on the lookout was amazing...you know, the first time you experience "real power" that is composed, secure and in a car with just superb high fidelity inputs into your senses. :cool: Sadly, I sold the M5 in 2018 on BaT after many years of fun.
Great story! Nice to hear your linage of ownership. Seems that BMWs run two generations. Is he the one that made you an enthusiast?

I cant comment on the E32, I have never owned a 7 series, but I agree with the feeling of the e39 m5. Lots of amenities, power, somewhat luxurious and not overly sophisticated. There is still a sense of analogue there.
Although I too enjoy taking the e39 on some short trips, on longer trips I felt those gas station stops started getting to me. I was looking at the fuel gauge more than I should.
CSBM5

Post by CSBM5 »

pbp338 wrote: Apr 10, 2022 4:58 PM
CSBM5 wrote: Apr 10, 2022 7:14 AM If I fast forward through the years of owning BMWs since the late 70s...my Bavaria was my only car for a few years, and my wife and I took many road trips in it. Although the suspension was very taught (springs, Bilsteins, 28mm/22mm sway bars, Alpina subframe bushings, etc, etc) the Recaro LS' were amazing and one of the best mods I did to that car, and they made road travel actually very comfortable in it. However, in 1986 we bought her an E28 535i 5MT/LSD that was almost new, and that became the go to car for travel for many years. It was such a step up from the Bavaria in comfort, noise, HVAC, that I was elated anytime we'd go on a trip. Of course we'd only owned it a few months when it received Dinan sway bars, Konis, and 16" Rial wheels.

Great story! Nice to hear your linage of ownership. Seems that BMWs run two generations. Is he the one that made you an enthusiast?

I cant comment on the E32, I have never owned a 7 series, but I agree with the feeling of the e39 m5. Lots of amenities, power, somewhat luxurious and not overly sophisticated. There is still a sense of analogue there.
Although I too enjoy taking the e39 on some short trips, on longer trips I felt those gas station stops started getting to me. I was looking at the fuel gauge more than I should.
Yeah, my father and his two brothers were all car fanatics having come of age to drive in the 1940s. My dad had C2 Vettes in the early through mid-60s and then a '68 Firebird 350HO prior to buying the Bavaria. We went to Lime Rock in May of 1972 for a Trans-Am race a week after he bought the Bavaria and were pointed to park in this corral which turned out to be the BMWCCA which my Dad joined that day. I think there were only two other E3s there that day and one E9. As a 13 year old I was taken in by the incredible enthusiasm along with already knowing a lot about the 2002 and the newly introduced 2002tii. It's flowed through another generation...my daughter has been driving (and autocrossing and tracking) a 2003 330i ZHP 6MT since 2006. She still really enjoys it, and doesn't want anything new that she has come across so far. She's added GC coilovers and camber plates, Turner sway bars, etc...it's a really sweet car. Slicktop too. :)
Greg E34

Post by Greg E34 »

Hard for me to pick.

I’ve taken several cross country road trips and all of them have been very enjoyable.

BMW wise, I’ve done in an E36 M3, my 85 745i, E34T, E24 635CSi. They all have their pros and cons.

I did Memphis to Phoenix to Santa Barbara and up the PCH to Crescent City (with a fantastic trek across Mattole Rd. through Humboldt County, CA) and back to Memphis via Utah, and the Black Hills of South Dakota in an LS430. It is indeed a very comfortable car that asks for very little, rides comfortably and returns fuel economy in the high 20’s on the highway.

Of the BMWs, I’d probably rate the E24 and E23 at the top of the list based on my experiences.
Nosis

Post by Nosis »

I just did Tampa - Denver in my E39 528iT/5 and it was glorious. 28mpg at 80mph, SiriusXM hair nation on the Dynavin made the trip a pleasure. An unidentified coolant leak was in the back of my mind but she held together like a champ... turns out both hard plastic lines were fully severed at the o rings :shock: Now she's back to full health
I'll report back on the return trip this summer... Hopefully with a comparison to an F80 but we'll see.

Image[/img]
Karl Grau

Post by Karl Grau »

pbp338 wrote: Mar 20, 2022 12:18 PMWhich BMW is the perfect car for a road trip
e39 530i. This thread can be closed now. ;)

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=131368&p=1389793&hilit=#p1389793