How many is too much?

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
Nebraska_e28
Beamter
Beamter

How many is too much?

Post by Nebraska_e28 »

How many m30/m20 projects are in your possession?
How many is too much?
Ordnator

Re: How many is too much?

Post by Ordnator »

You will have enough E28's to fill available garage space, if garage space is n.

The problem is that you number of e28's you need is n + 1 :laugh:

Me, I currently have a two car garage and three E28's.

1985 Zobelbraun 525e, 1987 Diamantschwartz 525e and a 1987 Bronzitbeige 525e :oops:

Best regards,

Mick
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

I have a very nice 528e I daily in the summer, an m50 swap, an absolute pile of turd 528e, and I just bought a 524td. I also have a civic that's supposed to be my reliable car but I put nearly as much work into that as the bmws. I have well exceeded my garage space, luckily I have very understanding parents!
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

"Too much" will be a bit less for you whenever I pick up those parts! :rofl:
Duke

Post by Duke »

How much HP is "too much"?
How much ammunition is "too much"?
Ordnator

Post by Ordnator »

No such thing as to much ammunition, just that the expenditure rate is too low :laugh:

Back in 1991 we normally carried about 300 rounds of 4.5 Inch ammunition onboard our Destroyer, but for a special "Amphibious Landing for distraction"
in February we squeezed 720 onboard. Managed to get it all into SHIPCAT 1 Magazines too :shock:

The old man wanted 3 nights worth of shore bombardment ammunition onboard at 300 round per night. That was quite an ask but we did our best with what we had.

We were replenishing underway for a little over 12 hours to bring the extra ammunition onboard, along with lots of other extra stuff.

Best regards,

Mick
MyE24

Post by MyE24 »

I follow the Garage Space + 1 rule.
Sometimes + 2.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

MyE24 wrote: Mar 05, 2022 10:10 AM I follow the Garage Space + 1 rule.
Sometimes + 2.
Garage space? :laugh: Garage space? :rofl: Garage space? :oops: We don't need no stinkin' garage space. Uh, parking space maybe.

Back to the original question, only slightly more than you have room for.

A couple of group shots, one all M30, the other all 5's.

Past times, now no interesting cars. I need one. Badly. The amount of M30 parts I have... :facepalm:
TheE28Ranch

Post by TheE28Ranch »

So many factors to consider, as they apply (wife’s understanding level, time with family, professional demands, one’s own wrenching ability, budget, competition with your other hobbies, etc). But IMO things feel like they get dicey around three, if your aim is to keep two road worthy and maybe one project on rotation.

Of course, I personally don’t follow the above three car suggestion, haha, but recall the three car days. It’s a slippery slope when chasing a passion. It can be a bit of a sickness.

Over three is too much, for the typical life situation, is my final answer.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

^^^x100
Currently our fleet is at three, only two are BMW's, and at that amount, one always gets shuffled to the bottom of priority lists.
Fortunately that car is the one driven the least (the Honda CR-V) and also fortunately, it is the one that can be ignored (for a while at least).

But even with the just the two others, I find myself ignoring anything else that might give me joy in life (hobbies, friends, traveling, cultural things, etc.) or postponing my time with them. Work, house, family and anything else of interest is muscled out by the cars at times (okay, most times).

However, I do find myself starting to think about another E28 or some other similar model now that I have finished the interior project on the M535i but with the current costs of E28's and short supply and cost of parts, and lack of adequate space for another car I am coming to conclusion that maybe that train has left the station.
austin8753

Post by austin8753 »

6 is my limit. my rule, one of them has to be an automatic, in case something happens where you're not able to drive a manual transmission for a while, you can still get around. found that one out the hard way recently and was thankful for that.
TheE28Ranch

Post by TheE28Ranch »

Yes, of course there are a couple of quotes I like to justify by, and you are welcome to, as well 😁:

“The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom...You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough.” - William Blake, Proverbs of Hell

“Too much of everything is just enough.” - Grateful Dead, “I Need a Miracle” Shakedown Street
Panici

Post by Panici »

This is a tough question. (Leaving aside the M20/M30 part) I'm at 5 cars right now.

There are worse things in life to spend your money on IMO.
I have something to be passionate about, and it has kept me going through whatever life throws my way.
Cars, wrenching, and driving all bring me joy so it can't be that bad.

My "too much" would be having to pay for storage (either for parts or cars).
I only have one garage space (for the E30) but an unfinished basement helps a lot with parts.

I will admit it can be a pain shuffling all the cars in the driveway. Now that my E36 parts car is gone it's a little easier at least.
Wish I had some land for a long driveway and to build a big shop/garage! That's the dream at least.
LeiseyJr

Post by LeiseyJr »

I have two cars to keep on the road my long time ex daily driver track car thing and my new to me e46. I don't think this is too much, but owning one more car and actually caring about it and building it would stretch me pretty thin. I would like a euro e28 to redo and apply everything I have learned into something new. However for me two is a good balance. I drive each one at least once a week. One car always needs something, even if it is tiny. So always busy in that regards. I still want that Bahama car ;)

I have a couple of friends with 5+. All their cars are at storage. So they are always shuffling, and as projects go they all need something here and there. That seems very draining. I can't see myself owning that many cars and caring about them, maybe have that many if they were parts cars.