What should I pay for a 260k mile 535is???

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
Tom4444

What should I pay for a 260k mile 535is???

Post by Tom4444 »

Found a decent ‘88 535is 5 speed and wanted some opinions on pricing and cost to fix some issues.

The car has some surface rust (driver side c pillar rear window) and some superficial rust on undercarriage, hood latch, various metal bits but nothing major.

Interior is in excellent condition. No rips, cracks, tears, etc

Windows, sunroof are extremely slow to go up and down - (weather related) ? Sunroof struggles to open and required me to physically push it while depressing button to fully close it.

Windshield Wipers extremely slow - maybe weather related

OBC is non functional

condensation in trunk.

260k miles, drivers car (which I like). No accidents, clean carfax, no dash cracks and odometer works. Car drives well, no tranny issues that I noticed.

What’s a good price for this car? Are the aforementioned issues going to be a money pit? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Mike W.

Re: What should I pay for a 260k mile 535is???

Post by Mike W. »

Any rust is a money pit. Spoken from a Californian I might add where rust is only a rumor.

Windows and probably sunroof are likely grease related, meaning the old grease is more like glue and needs to be cleaned and regreased. A bit of time, but not expensive or difficult. OBC is probably the backlight. Look closely and you can probably see the display very dimly in the background. Figure 5 to 50 bucks. Wipers are kind of odd, might need cleaning and regreasing, might need a new motor, probably not terribly expensive at worst, and maybe just time and energy. Trunk leak. Could be from a variety of places, expect the taillight gaskets to need replacing, but could either or also be the trunk seal, antenna seal, rear window seal or more. Not a deal killer. Excellent interior? Big bonus. You didn't mention paint. Paint is a big deal and can be very expensive to fix if it's failing clearcoat. Metallics got clearcoat, solid colors did not. Occasionally solids get wear thru, but still it's not like the clusterfuck of failing clearcoat. If you haven't tested it and it hasn't been mentioned, expect the A/C to be dead. Nothing that can't be fixed, but depending on your skills could range from a couple of hundred to a couple of thousand to get into shape. A quick R134a retro will leave you unhappy. It'll work, but not well.

Without seeing it I can't even hazard a price.
Tom4444

Post by Tom4444 »

Mike W. wrote: Jan 22, 2022 1:30 AM Any rust is a money pit. Spoken from a Californian I might add where rust is only a rumor.

Windows and probably sunroof are likely grease related, meaning the old grease is more like glue and needs to be cleaned and regreased. A bit of time, but not expensive or difficult. OBC is probably the backlight. Look closely and you can probably see the display very dimly in the background. Figure 5 to 50 bucks. Wipers are kind of odd, might need cleaning and regreasing, might need a new motor, probably not terribly expensive at worst, and maybe just time and energy. Trunk leak. Could be from a variety of places, expect the taillight gaskets to need replacing, but could either or also be the trunk seal, antenna seal, rear window seal or more. Not a deal killer. Excellent interior? Big bonus. You didn't mention paint. Paint is a big deal and can be very expensive to fix if it's failing clearcoat. Metallics got clearcoat, solid colors did not. Occasionally solids get wear thru, but still it's not like the clusterfuck of failing clearcoat. If you haven't tested it and it hasn't been mentioned, expect the A/C to be dead. Nothing that can't be fixed, but depending on your skills could range from a couple of hundred to a couple of thousand to get into shape. A quick R134a retro will leave you unhappy. It'll work, but not well.

Without seeing it I can't even hazard a price.
Car pretty much looks like this: https://bimmerlife.com/2020/07/11/e28-5 ... e-stroker/

White with red interior.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Well to start there is the 3000 dollar rule. Used to be 2k, amount needed to make a recently purchased used E28 correct for you. These funds being spent on the punch list of issues the new owner finds.

Your punch list is started but there is more you will find after purchasing the car that may need attention sooner rather than later.

I have a few sets of LEDs used to fix the OBC backlight and do that for 35. Don't know what bodywork costs where you are but fixing rust can get expensive. Need to ask a shop about that. Sunroof might just need adjustment. Windows in these cars are slow but Mike is right they probably need some lube on the mechanism.

These cars seem to run a long time and 260k should mean there is plenty of miles left but some systems may need addressing. Steering every 100,000 or so, suspension when the shocks get worn, clutch about 150,000 so it has been done at least once, if so equipped.

These cars are going up in value and a recent thread had a chart of sales showing that. Was it in the agreed value insurance thread? That would be worth a look. And finally, the is is becoming sought after as a low production BMW series raising the price even though one can make one with seats, shocks, spoilers and sometimes a steering wheel, 88s having body colored mirrors. Only way to verify is finding the built sheet on line from the VIN or attached to a support bar on the rear seat bottom. Option codes unique to the is indicate this model.
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

Somehow I get the feeling from your description that this has an automatic transmission. That makes a big difference in the value, but since I didn't see it mentioned in your description . . .
Tom4444

Post by Tom4444 »

BMWCCA2 wrote: Jan 22, 2022 8:33 AM Somehow I get the feeling from your description that this has an automatic transmission. That makes a big difference in the value, but since I didn't see it mentioned in your description . . .
I checked the vin and the car is a 535is. And yes it’s a manual.

I have wanted to own an ‘80s era bmw for a while, and this may be my last shot at getting one. What worries me are things like the price of a windshield wiper motor for $500.

So assuming that the car doesn’t need anything major, what would you guys pay for it? Only service I would do is fluids for now (obv) and get the wipers working.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

wiper motors are under 2 bills on line. Not a unit from a BMW dealer but that is only 226 from the web.

somewhere between 4000 and 10000. but the high end, it would need to be sweet.
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

Tom4444 wrote: Jan 22, 2022 9:57 AMI checked the vin and the car is a 535is. And yes it’s a manual.
I'm curious how the VIN told you it was an "is"?