Coming up for air

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
TSMacNeil

Coming up for air

Post by TSMacNeil »

Hello fellas-

Long time, no visit. I see a plethora of new names on the board.
Through my ( somewhat ) regular visits with Mr Kohler for lunch
I am beginning to get another e28 itch.

Thought I’d stop in to say hi

Happy New Years

MacNeil
Mike W.

Re: Coming up for air

Post by Mike W. »

Tim! You used to be here regularly, but now only drop in to tease us. And despite repeated threats, never stopped in to see us for an event, in person, Wrenchfest or full blown like Sandy Eggo or even 5er West. And I bet you know how to get cheap airfare...

Seriously, don't be a stranger and stop on by sometime, with or without an E28 or even a car.
TSMacNeil

Post by TSMacNeil »

lol

Thanks Mike
It’s nothing personal. I have a ridiculous schedule.
I’ll try to make some event out West sometime.
Maybe stowaway in Chris’ trunk or something.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Oh I know life doesn't revolve around BMWs for everyone, but I had to give you a hard time. But do try to make some event sometime. Maybe if Eric has Renofest next year?
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Howdy, Captain :wave:
south26

Post by south26 »

How crazy is the flying world right now?!

Andy
TSMacNeil

Post by TSMacNeil »

(Hey Vince-)

Andy,

Flying business is completely insane these last two years.
People losing their shit over masks mandated on the planes.

Taking it out on flight attendants who are only doing their job.

I routinely have to threaten that I’ll land the plane in the Iowa cornfields if folks don’t settle down. It gets old.

Anyhow, 5 more years until mandatory retirement for me, so just muddling through until then.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

TSMacNeil wrote: Jan 09, 2022 4:06 PMI routinely have to threaten that I’ll land the plane in the Iowa cornfields if folks don’t settle down. It gets old.
Not to be morbid and crass, but is that the United Airlines method of landing in the Iowa cornfields? ;)
TSMacNeil

Post by TSMacNeil »

Could be…lol

We always seem to be passing over Iowa on transcons, and Iowa always sounds cold, remote, and even if we’re not actually over it, it conveys the message.
;)
south26

Post by south26 »

TSMacNeil wrote: Jan 09, 2022 4:06 PM (Hey Vince-)

Andy,

Flying business is completely insane these last two years.
People losing their shit over masks mandated on the planes.

Taking it out on flight attendants who are only doing their job.

I routinely have to threaten that I’ll land the plane in the Iowa cornfields if folks don’t settle down. It gets old.

Anyhow, 5 more years until mandatory retirement for me, so just muddling through until then.
Sounds like teaching. I love the refrain, put on your mask. I think one of the dear students gave me covid last week. Hads problems with keeping his mask on. So tired. I only have 14 years

Andy
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

Howdy! Hope to see you back more often!
davintosh

Post by davintosh »

TSMacNeil wrote: Jan 09, 2022 6:52 PM Could be…lol

We always seem to be passing over Iowa on transcons, and Iowa always sounds cold, remote, and even if we’re not actually over it, it conveys the message.
;)
Hey, Tim!

Ring me up if you ever do carry through with that threat, but aim just a few ticks north and west. Iowa sucks. South Dakota is waaaaay nicer, more civilized, and far more hospitable. :cool:
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

davintosh wrote: Jan 15, 2022 8:45 PM
TSMacNeil wrote: Jan 09, 2022 6:52 PM Could be…lol

;)
Hey, Tim!

Ring me up if you ever do carry through with that threat, but aim just a few ticks north and west. Iowa sucks. South Dakota is waaaaay nicer, more civilized, and far more hospitable. :cool:
Not if he comes all United style...
dsmith

Post by dsmith »

vinceg101 wrote: Jan 09, 2022 6:05 PM
TSMacNeil wrote: Jan 09, 2022 4:06 PMI routinely have to threaten that I’ll land the plane in the Iowa cornfields if folks don’t settle down. It gets old.
Not to be morbid and crass, but is that the United Airlines method of landing in the Iowa cornfields? ;)
I dated a girl in high school who was on that plane and walked away basically unscathed. She said see saw a fireball coming towards her and ducked. Next thing she knew she was walking around in a cornfield in the wreckage. She was awarded a HUGE settlement. Definitely affected her mentally. Crazy.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

In all seriousness, I don't mean to make light of the tragic loss of life that happened that day. When you see the video of that crash it was a wonder that anyone survived let alone over half of the crew and passengers. Your girlfriend/date may have been one of the many who survived, but 111 people that day did not.
I joke about it now, but I remember rather vividly watching that on the 11pm evening news at a friends house (after a considerable amount of alcohol the previous few hours) and the first thing that went through my head and out my mouth was "Well, there's something you don't see everyday". And it wasn't just about the crash itself, but all the people that walked out of the cornfield in the aftermath.

These videos don't do justice to the superhuman efforts of the flight crew and above all the extra pilot that happened to be on board to control the DC-10 let alone be able to get lined up (mostly) on a runway. I remember reading the account written by the captain years later (I think it was in Air & Space), and it was absolutely harrowing reading his blow-by-blow turn of events from the cockpits' perspective.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5yztk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG-6nHwfyts
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

I didn't remember that one and had to look it up. Wow. Amazing anyone survived and a remarkable set of coincidences, along with great skills to have things turn out as well as they did.
TSMacNeil

Post by TSMacNeil »

UA 232 video and post crash reports are required courseware for almost all airlines…and has been for many years. The Crew Resource Management ( CRM ) is considered the gold standard for utilizing all available resources - including the DC-10 check airman who was riding in back as a passenger.
Truly a miracle that anyone walked away- and absolutely heroic efforts by all 3 pilots up there trying to figure out how to fly that thing with differential engine power, no hydraulics, and a drooped wing making them continuously fighting just to stay right side up- much less attempt a landing.

Frankly, ( and I’m qualified to speak to this ) the situation was FAR more catastrophic for 232 than it was for Sully in the US1549 River landing.
Al Hanes was a hero for getting as far as they did-