What is your real 0-60?

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
SeattleGuy

What is your real 0-60?

Post by SeattleGuy »

6.98! (Speedometer + HUD app)

Hardly the most important thing about our cars but...after these guys in a pretty fun father-son video took 10 -- TEN SECONDS -- I said HELL NO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmNwxo8l1Ag

So...... For now Ima pass on the Do What Facebook Tells You to Do #10yearchallenge #tenyearchallenge right now in favor of a #34yearchallenge: Can Maxine, my 1988 #BMW535is accelerate as quickly as she did when she rolled off of the showroom floor at 7.5 0-60 (which was quick then).

Yes she can. And then some as the mods have perhaps eclipsed the 34-year losses. Obviously I'm not lining up with Tesla Plaids (fuck those kitchen appliances anyway) but contrary to the idle musings of a friend of mine it actually is as quick -- or slow -- as a new Golf, which consumed 7.6 seconds in the naught-60 challenge 😀
https://www.caranddriver.com/volkswagen/golf

1988 535is
5sp manual
115' Elevation
43F/6C
188 LSD -- I believe 3.46?
Mark D'Sylva/EAT chip -- 16 RWP increase so like 21 at crank.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/mdsylva/products.htm
https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/show ... e-upgrades

Exhaust decat/replace with resonator -- 5hp?
Also the chip raises the rev limit so 60 is captured at the far end of 2nd instead of 3rd. I gotta say I'm pretty happy with that. I couldn't figure out how to time the quarter tho? #luddite. :shock:
Mdreamer

Re: What is your real 0-60?

Post by Mdreamer »

I like this exercise!

What did you use to capture the accurate time?
SeattleGuy

Post by SeattleGuy »

This one here:
6.98! (Speedometer + HUD app)
https://rxmechanic.com/best-speedometer-apps/
....I think that one might be only for iPhones though. It just cracks me up many years ago it cost you so much money to get a GPS... and doing wireless work for site location they had to buy you programs with updated CDs and stuff for what is now simply Google Earth. The positive side of technology. With the Bull comes the horns I guess. Looks dry out today too I'll have to try the Ducati. I'll guess 3.0. -- No way. In a perfect World 3.4-3.5 but in today's World with gritty roads and traffic looming 3.89 -- that includes a shift point probably around 50.
Last edited by SeattleGuy on Jan 09, 2022 9:47 PM, edited 2 times in total.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

SeattleGuy wrote: Jan 09, 2022 11:55 AM buy you programs with updated CDs and stuff for what is now simply Google Earth. The positive side of technology. With the Bull comes the horns I guess.
Yep, the bull and the horns. When I need location devices, I'm often in areas way out of cell service, so Google doesn't work.
lswoboda

Post by lswoboda »

I have to ask: do you really rev the car? To the redline?

I also have the D’Sylva chip in my 1988 535is, and it send to run out of steam well before high revs.

Just curious if you really wind it up….I’ve been a little scared to take it up toward the redline.

Thanks—and I’m going to have to check my 0-60 now!! :laugh:
SeattleGuy

Post by SeattleGuy »

lswoboda wrote: Jan 10, 2022 9:20 PM I have to ask: do you really rev the car? To the redline?

I also have the D’Sylva chip in my 1988 535is, and it send to run out of steam well before high revs.

Just curious if you really wind it up….I’ve been a little scared to take it up toward the redline.

In the Day-to-Day there is absolutely no reason to wind our cars out except that yes I got to redline or close to it every 3rd day I would say. But I definitely go to 5,500 as a matter of course. The computer old as it is still recognizes this BTW. Even a 1984 GTi had a brain and it too I believe was adaptive though surely not as much as our cars or of course later cars.

And like most of my fellow geeks on this board we get to know what tires we have, what clutches we have (mine is new) and how our shifters work for maximum efficiency. I recommend no wheelspin just at the threshold and a perfect 1-2 shift with regular clutching and whatever setup you have is what you have. Also it was somewhat chilly and near ground level too so all the factors and the mods came to play. What can I say... I broke 7 with a damn 191K car that has never been apart, just 3 or 4 valve cover gaskets by what I can see in the paperwork. And she's dry as a bone underneath.

I sold that E90 BTW at 128K it was just swimming in oil and all kinds of shit just TRASHED. Fucking disposable BMWs. E39 is the last great BMW unless you have a wad of cash for a new one. The 128i interests me though. Remember these newer cars with aluminum components if they are in a front end wreck Spen showed me what has to happen to fix them. It's not pretty. They have to cut pieces parts out to make them whole. It's horrible.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

lswoboda wrote: Jan 10, 2022 9:20 PM I have to ask: do you really rev the car? To the redline?

As long as you don't run it out of oil or overheat it, it's hard to hurt a M30. Well, if you do a money shift as it's known in the E36 world and drop it into second doing 80, yeah, that's going to hurt. But hitting the rev limited at ~6400? Naw. Now when you hit it for the first time you might think you broke something when it just kind of goes blah, but it's just fine, the ECU just cut fuel off so it wouldn't hurt itself. That said, peak power is at 5200 I think it is, maybe 5400, so taking it to even 6K is counterproductive for the most part, let alone 6400. Part of Chris' reference was with one diff ratio the stock rev limiter it hit at 59MPH, so even though you're well past peak, being able to get that 100 additional RPM gives you a lower 0-60 time.
SeattleGuy

Post by SeattleGuy »

BTW it is next to impossible to find road tests of 533i much less 535i or is. I know for fact that C/D did a 535is short take. I'm 95% certain of this but cannot find it nor can I find their 533i test that I know for certain they tested a 533i OF COURSE. There is one R&T 533i test that pops up.
https://www.curbsideclassic.com/vintage ... liar-body/

There is no E28 on the old Motorweek series either!

I did find another 533i test however from Motor Trend:
http://www.graphiteindustries.com/mye28 ... ad%20Test/
That's about it.
garageboy

Post by garageboy »

Because I have a 528e (M20 Motronic 1.1 motor), I am required to take each gear to redline because that is where the power band exists. But yeah, as long as the fluid levels are correct, it handles it fine.

:rofl: :rofl: