And so it starts, Maeve

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
gwb72tii

Re: And so it starts, Maeve

Post by gwb72tii »

Close, very close, but no cigar
garageboy

Post by garageboy »

gwb72tii wrote: Jan 17, 2023 9:52 AM Close, very close, but no cigar
I was gonna say Phuket, because I like to say Phuket... ;)
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

Onto a little cleaning today. Somewhere along the way of acquiring pearl beige interior pieces I wound up with 3 sets of door cards, most of which are in good shape. However most of which are in need of serious cleaning. The foam insulation(?) backing is completely dried out to no surprise, but in good enough shape to use as templates for cutting out new foam pieces for final reassembly.

Looking pretty old:

basically dust

The difference in tone doesn't really show up in this comparison, clean on the left

Here you can kinda see the dirty cleaning fluid coming out of the pores of the door card. Lots of fluid and hand scrubbing and then the portable Bissell carpet machine to suck it all out.

and you get this. I think it looks pretty good.
Last edited by gwb72tii on Jan 22, 2023 4:06 PM, edited 1 time in total.
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

Blue Shadow wrote: Jan 17, 2023 12:31 AM Pearl Resorts Bora Bora
Actually off of Taha'a, but you can see Bora Bora:
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

gwb72tii wrote: Jan 22, 2023 12:51 PM
Close, very close, but no cigar

Actually off of Taha'a, but you can see Bora Bora:
The entire earth and I missed it by 10 miles? Dang. Was it Le Taha'a Island Resort & Spa? They have a similar view

Thought of Bora Bora first and searched for images of overwater accommodations and the build techniques and especially the color were the same. Looked for a resort that had the view you had but the land mass was much taller. Didn't back out and look for other nearby locations.

Must have been nice, hope the shoulder repair didn't get in the way all the time.
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

I must admit it was a very good guess Shadow
https://www.letahaa.com/

Have you spent time there?
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

No, Dad was in the Army and I've been around and was good in geography because of living in Europe 1st-4th grade and sightseeing vacations. Then visited my Dad in Korea when I was in college since he was there with family and I was still a dependent Uncle Sam got me there and back. He put me on a tour of the Far East run by the USO.

Then he retired and traveled the world with my step mom. I'm sure my dad enjoyed his visit to Bora Bora and such way more than his year on Eniwetok when in the army. So I've seen pics and well with my first guess, the hut construction was the same. I didn't know there was such a nearby island with some similar accommodations. So my geography database is improved.
Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

I've got to get myself one of those Bissell carpet machines... :)
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Mdreamer wrote: Jan 25, 2023 2:08 PM I've got to get myself one of those Bissell carpet machines... :)
Not sure I've ever used it on the cars, but I can see it would work, but they're dynamite inside the house.
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

The Bissell worked really well. With the door cards it was essentially a wet/dry vacuumm sucking all the dirty fluid out of the pores.

https://www.amazon.com/Bissell-Multi-Pu ... r=8-5&th=1

next up is the interior carpet, which is quite dirty.
Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

I'm sold! Thanks to the two of you.
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

A little more progress. When I mounted the rear wing, I clamped the outside edges to the trunk lid to provide pressure to the adhesive tape that holds the outside "wings" to the trunk. It's about 45* here max during the day and the tape adheres better when its warmer.

don't you love Zinno?

I haven't had the e28 down from the top of the lift since surgery, and I had forgotten what shape the carpets are in. I know I need to shampoo them, but they are pretty worn out. You can see before/after pics below after one attempt at cleaning. They need more than one attempt. My goal is to get them clean enough so when I get floor mats they hide how rough the carpet is. The pictures really don't show how dirty and stained they are.

And this guy wants to be in the middle of everything
Panici

Post by Panici »

gwb72tii wrote: Jan 27, 2023 7:16 PMdon't you love Zinno?
Looks stunning! 😍
You've got that rear end dialed in, spoiler and badge.

Carpet came up decent for a first-pass. You have to figure there may be 30+ years of dirt in some parts.
I've seen some detailing videos where they vibrate the carpet to help knock some dirt loose from the fibers. Haven't tried it myself but seems to help?
John in VA

Post by John in VA »

Panici wrote: Jan 28, 2023 6:48 AMCarpet came up decent for a first-pass. You have to figure there may be 30+ years of dirt in some parts.
I've seen some detailing videos where they vibrate the carpet to help knock some dirt loose from the fibers. Haven't tried it myself but seems to help?
You can pull the carpet out to clean, agitate & pressure-wash it. Blue Shadow has done that with great results.
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

I have a commercial carpet cleaner coming Monday afternoon to do their best. $100 and it should wind up as clean as it can be. Part of the issue is I can only use my left arm right now to scrub and vacuum. Plus $100 seems pretty reasonable.

Fingers crossed.......

well the carpet guy is sick as a dog, so as I am out of town starting Saturday this is on the shelf until mid February

hey Shadow, spend any time in Tokyo or Kyoto?
Kyler

Post by Kyler »

following to feel bad about my car but to learn these awesome techniques and ideas for restoration. Thank you for sharing
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

I have flown into and out of Japan and that is the extent of my time in the country. Layover on the way to Korea.
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

I was wondering as my wife and I were headed to Japan for a long overdue vacation.
We went, and knowing the Japanese are into cars, I was curious to see what they have. Saw a few Ferrari's and a couple Lambo's, but this took the cake. Japanese gansta's. Not sure you can call it lifted as it's so small and cute

Ricky535

Post by Ricky535 »

Kei trucks. They're available in different configurations. Right size for Japanese roads.
RoyW

Re: And so it starts

Post by RoyW »

garageboy wrote: Dec 01, 2021 4:05 AM

Here is the truth. Since I was a wee lad, it's expensive to paint a car. To do it right, it's always going to be expensive. The "paint the car" part is the easy part. I have a friend who went through all the BMW manufacturer painting instruction over 30 years. Of course they learned about the evolution of BMW's brilliance in applying paint to a car, culminating in the BMW Paint System (the globally-environmentally-award-winning process) that is water-based and bulletproof. But none of that is possible without the initial assembly, rustrproofing, and dipping in zinc.

The time AND cost is in the preparation. It doesn't matter how well you paint a car if it isn't prep'd properly. And to really do it correctly, it takes hours of meticulous hand-eye work to mimic what happened when the car came out of the factory, to ensure the best quality paint job. And, of course, the post-painting part of the process is equally time-consuming.

THIS HAS ALWAYS BEEN TRUE. And it always will be. You get what you pay for.

The other truth is a less happy one. If you discover your E28 has rust, you will eventually be forced to accept that in addition to the rust you can see, there is more rust you cannot see. So unless it is a special car that will fetch more than US$100,000, chasing after rust is a fool's errand. Good luck with the restoration!
So, so true garageboy!!! I love to see these comments from some people in threads that say the body and paint work will be $10K, or even $15K. Not even close if you want it done right and looking proper... I'm on my 5th project car and the body & paintwork is always the most expensive factor in a restoration or "refresh"!!

-RoyW
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

Lately Maeve has been ignored while my wife's number one project, the garden and shed for her, was finished (by me). Now that I'm close to done with that, it's about time to turn my attention back to Maeve and her restoration.

I am trying to formulate where to look for the problem I had driving her north from Mesa, AZ to Seattle. Here's the symptoms:
1. Maeve would die suddenly when driving on the freeway at speed, somewhere around 75mph. I'd cost to a stop, and she'd restart within 5 minutes, sometimes right away. I learned to drive in the right hand lane only.
2. Would die when giving her too much throttle.
3. Died going up the hill north of Grants Pass, Oregon, a long incline. Could not get her restarted sitting on the side of the freeway. Started immediately when lowered off the flat bed towing truck in Roseburg when the ground was level.

I thought all the above might have been from the in-tank fuel pick up being fowled by rust flakes but is not the case. Installed an in-tank fuel pump (identical to Vlad) but no change to symptoms.

So you e28 experts, what do you think the cause is?
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

gwb72tii wrote: May 23, 2023 4:38 PM Lately Maeve has been ignored while my wife's number one project, the garden and shed for her, was finished (by me). Now that I'm close to done with that, it's about time to turn my attention back to Maeve and her restoration.

I am trying to formulate where to look for the problem I had driving her north from Mesa, AZ to Seattle. Here's the symptoms:
1. Maeve would die suddenly when driving on the freeway at speed, somewhere around 75mph. I'd cost to a stop, and she'd restart within 5 minutes, sometimes right away. I learned to drive in the right hand lane only.
2. Would die when giving her too much throttle.
3. Died going up the hill north of Grants Pass, Oregon, a long incline. Could not get her restarted sitting on the side of the freeway. Started immediately when lowered off the flat bed towing truck in Roseburg when the ground was level.

I thought all the above might have been from the in-tank fuel pick up being fowled by rust flakes but is not the case. Installed an in-tank fuel pump (identical to Vlad) but no change to symptoms.

So you e28 experts, what do you think the cause is?
Sounds temp related.
I'd start with relays and ECU.
John in VA

Post by John in VA »

Blue Shadow & I have had similar problems. Make sure that the sockets in the plugs that the fuel pump &other relays are well seated within the black plastic plugs. It may seem the relay is properly seated, but the connectors might have backed out a bit & not make good contact with relay prongs.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

As John stated, the relay socket allowed the connector female spade to back out over the multiple changes of the relay. It made limited contact and powered the car until it lost connection. Car rolling along just fine, tach drops to zero and we roll to the side of the road. Touch stuff under the hood and it starts back up until it didn't.

Must have been a low current connection as the touching connection would not have supported the full power through the relay.
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

This came today. Super excited about getting the new motor, which is taking way longer than wanted, and attaching this header.