And so it starts, Maeve

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
gwb72tii

Re: And so it starts

Post by gwb72tii »

Mike W. wrote: Jan 30, 2022 2:32 AM Looks like an A/C condenser in front of the aux fan along with the original condenser between the fan and the radiator. Never seen anything like that, are there hoses going to it?
So here is a question. The front radiator supply comes from the steering fluid reservoir, and then goes to the steering box. Is this common practice, to cool the steering fluid? To my knowledge, the fluid doesn't circulate right?

And the mid radiator is related to the AC.
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

And look what Fedex brought today! Thank you Mr.Lavery!
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

Can you see what is missing? Tip of the hat to Mr.Kohler for noticing the driver's door is a different color.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

gwb72tii wrote: Jan 30, 2022 2:43 PM
Mike W. wrote: Jan 30, 2022 2:32 AM Looks like an A/C condenser in front of the aux fan along with the original condenser between the fan and the radiator. Never seen anything like that, are there hoses going to it?
So here is a question. The front radiator supply comes from the steering fluid reservoir, and then goes to the steering box. Is this common practice, to cool the steering fluid? To my knowledge, the fluid doesn't circulate right?
Oh wow, that is bizarre. Stock there is a little P/S cooler of sorts, up towards that general location, but it's just a pipe bent into a box shape. Look at #1 in the link, https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=32_0264

No fins or anything, I think it's just steel. But fluid does circulate to a degree. That cooler is such overkill, it's got to be at least 50 if not 100 times more effective, but unneeded. I'd rip that thing out and replace it with either the correct cooler/pipe, or get some soft copper tubing and make your own. Many cars now do have P/S coolers, but not like that. :shock: A FWIW, the little short pieces of rubber hose connecting to the original cooler are leak prone and made with steel braid reinforced hose. But I just used regular hose when I did mine and they were never a problem. It's on the return side, so it's not really under any pressure.
2dye4

Post by 2dye4 »

gwb72tii wrote: Nov 20, 2021 7:51 PM Here’s a few pics
Are these e24 seats?

Im digging the process, please, go on.
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

Looking at the RealOEM diagram it’s looks like an all too common over thought out over engineered German design.

There’s no return to the reservoir, there’s no circulating pump, no circulation.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

gwb72tii wrote: Jan 30, 2022 6:37 PM Looking at the RealOEM diagram it’s looks like an all too common over thought out over engineered German design.

There’s no return to the reservoir, there’s no circulating pump, no circulation.
No, there is a return. Look at #4 in the diagram. It's two different hoses, but the short one on the left goes back to the reservoir. And the P/S pump is the circ pump, it's always pumping regardless of need at the moment. If there is no demand, it just kind of flows thru the system, if there is a load, it's put to work so to speak and the system pressure rises. Think of turning in a parking lot, you can hear the pump a little bit. It's working. But if you turn it hard to the stop, it's really working, deadheaded and isn't happy.

Now weather or not they really needed the cooler I don't know, nor how much good it did.
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

So bmw ran the lines forward to the radiator area in anticipation for someone putting in a radiator I guess.

I’ve never dealt with any kind of power steering so my inexperience is shining bright.

Thanks for the explanation.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

gwb72tii wrote: Jan 30, 2022 8:03 PM So bmw ran the lines forward to the radiator area in anticipation for someone putting in a radiator I guess.
BMW ran the lines forward to have the power system fluid (brakes and steering power) run through a cooling pipe, not a radiator, just a pipe bent to fit behind the kidneys and be unseen but right there in the cool incoming airflow.

The addition of the radiator to replace the pipe is the aftermarket change in your ride.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

replace the power fluid radiator with part number 1

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=32_0264

with the price of one of these, a small radiator would be way cheaper.

Here is a link to a pic of the part installed from a different board

https://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/139020-c ... ind-grill/

the pipes from the pump/reservoir area lay flat on the frame rail. The pipes across the front also lay flat on the bodywork. Your short connection pieces are about right but when you put it all back together, you'll use hose as needed to connect the pipes to whatever cooler you decide to put in.
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

Stock has no cooler right?
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

gwb72tii wrote: Jan 30, 2022 8:52 PM Stock has no cooler right?
Not that looks like a cooler, no fins or anything, but #1 in the diagram is a cooler. Just not a very good one, but probably as much as was needed. Porsche did something similar a decade or so earlier for an engine oil cooler. FWIW, only the big engine cars got them, 528e's did not. Porsche cooler below.

gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

Well I'll add that part to the list, which is getting long.

Thanks

edit:
part #1 on the realm diagram is available from BMW, and its a cool $190.
Maybe I'll clean everything up and leave the radiator in place.

maybe someone on the board wants to sell a used one.
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

2dye4 wrote: Jan 30, 2022 4:48 PM
gwb72tii wrote: Nov 20, 2021 7:51 PM Here’s a few pics
Are these e24 seats?

Im digging the process, please, go on.
They are e30 cabriolet seats
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

gwb72tii wrote: Jan 30, 2022 9:52 PM Well I'll add that part to the list, which is getting long.

Thanks

edit:
part #1 on the realm diagram is available from BMW, and its a cool $190.
Maybe I'll clean everything up and leave the radiator in place.

A used one "shouldn't" be hard to find as they're not really a wear item. Or solder up or bend some copper tubing. But I would not leave what is there, there, blocking both A/C and the cooling system, for naught.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

gwb72tii wrote: Jan 30, 2022 9:52 PM
You do have south26's pm address in your files, don't you? He has broken a number of E28s over the years and may have a collection of less needed parts.
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

Bit of a challenge today.

I had about 30 minutes to work on the car, so I thought I'd remove the heater box.
The passenger 10mm nut unscrewed about 3 turns (luckily) and then the stud started turning with the nut. I remembered a power tool I had bought years ago, used once, and had been ignored since. But it was the perfect tool.

Because the nut had turned a little before seizing, I had just enough room for the blade to fit under the nut. Now I have to come up with a way to replace the stud.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

yup, Milwaukee makes some good tools.
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

progress!

the heater box is out. good news is the blower works fine without any clicking or funny noises.

typical dried out foam

and this little electric motor is flopping around. not good but I hope fixable without buying replacement parts.

in a previous post I learned this radiator for the power steering system is not standard. but this picture shows its obviously made for the e28 as it matches the bend of the front clip perfectly. maybe you that live in hot areas have this piece too? I will be selling it.

here's the heater valve. looking at it there is no obvious way for any electrical connector to attach. something else to learn about. No clue if its operational as the heater/AC system was not operating on the way north from Mesa, AZ when I bought the car.

As many of us probably do, I used to have a left over AV receiver for music in my garage, and older Marantz. Great sound but it took up a big chunk of my smallish work bench. I bought this, a Dayton Audio 50w bluetooth amp. It's terrific, it's $100 and frees up lots of space. Now I can annoy the wild geese that crap all over my property with ACDC and Led Zeppelin. They don't seem to notice....

And the front kicker panel speakers look to be in remarkably good condition. Surprise! I will be installing a completely new stereo system that will duplicate what I had in my last e30. Outstanding fidelity and not a lot of money.

I have removed most of the interior, most of the body trim, door panels etc. My body/paint guy is stopping by next week or so to take a look at the car before I deliver it to him in March.

Bad news is I fear finding rust, and I found some on the bottom of the right rear passenger door. Enough that it will need to be repaired. I'm guessing any body guy that has been in the business for over 40 years knows what to do.

Good news is I ordered a 4 post lift in November and it arrives next Friday. I bought a Direct Lift, identical to one I owned before and had to sell when we sold our house in 2014. Best tool I've ever owned. It will be a big help when I remove the motor and tranny and refurbish the suspension.

more later....
jayjaya29

Post by jayjaya29 »

The electrical connector on the heater valve should be on the top of the valve. Looks like it has been snapped off on yours.

Crazy_Canuck

Post by Crazy_Canuck »

gwb72tii wrote: Feb 01, 2022 7:48 PM Image
Talk to your body shop, they can weld on a new stud.
vitapiubella

Post by vitapiubella »

I’m loving reading about your build! I’m in the process of upgrading a few things on my new to me e28, including the stereo system. You had me at “Outstanding fidelity and not a lot of money”. So… What’s this e30 system you’re going to be duplicating?

Also, I’ll be replacing my old crackedy cracked dash soon as well. Any thing you can recommend that I should take care of underneath whence I have the old dash off? If so, do tell :rockon:

Gracias!

gwb72tii wrote: Feb 13, 2022 7:55 PM progress!

And the front kicker panel speakers look to be in remarkably good condition. Surprise! I will be installing a completely new stereo system that will duplicate what I had in my last e30. Outstanding fidelity and not a lot of money.
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

Go to this thread:
https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/forum/ ... ds-of-pics

Then take a look at all the stickies under car audio on r3vlimited. The hardest part will be replicating a “Luke box” but I don’t think it will be too hard.

The biggest improvement I think was in tuning the amp, which also is a stickie. The system used a particular e34 speaker and with the amp tuned it was crazy how loud you could play your stereo with no distortion.

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/forum/ ... lectronics

I will post more in a while as I’m out of town and the car goes in for paint in about 3 weeks.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

The power steering fluid absolutely circulates. The reservoir feeds the pump, which sends fluid to the proportioning valve then from there to the steering and to the brake booster then the return from the steering box goes to a hard line on the left frame rail to the front of the car through the cooler loop and back through the other hard line on the frame rail to the reservoir.

Who knows why anyone put that cooler up there but it was probably related to covering up some other issue. Get the correct parts (I can send you stock hard lines and a cooler loop) and delete that crap.
vitapiubella

Post by vitapiubella »

Aaaaah... the famous "Luke Box". I read those threads long long ago... thanks for bringing them back to my attention. Let's see if I can figure something out using Luke's ideas. I can't wait to see the stereo setup you end up doing... Somehow I'm thinking many of us will want to copy whatever you figure out :bow:

gwb72tii wrote: Mar 09, 2022 4:11 PM Go to this thread:
https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/forum/ ... ds-of-pics

Then take a look at all the stickies under car audio on r3vlimited. The hardest part will be replicating a “Luke box” but I don’t think it will be too hard.

The biggest improvement I think was in tuning the amp, which also is a stickie. The system used a particular e34 speaker and with the amp tuned it was crazy how loud you could play your stereo with no distortion.

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/forum/ ... lectronics

I will post more in a while as I’m out of town and the car goes in for paint in about 3 weeks.