And so it starts, Maeve

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
1st 5er

Re: And so it starts, Maeve

Post by 1st 5er »

:wave:
gwb72tii wrote: Aug 12, 2022 4:32 PM
And then I needed to clean the old adhesive tape off the back of the 535is emblems in order to have a clean surface for new 3M double sided adhesive tape made for emblems and logos.

Clean. What'd you use?
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

A box cutter scraping and scraping for about 30 minutes.
I am afraid to use acetone or parts cleaner in case it damaged the emblems, as they are NLA I believe.
Last edited by gwb72tii on Aug 22, 2022 1:25 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Panici

Post by Panici »

gwb72tii wrote: Aug 12, 2022 6:19 PM A box cutter scraping and scraping for about 30 minutes.
I am afraid to use acetone or parts cleaner incase it damaged the emblems, as they are NLA I believe.
I have to reattach the emblems on my '87 325is. Same style as the E28.
What specific 3M tape are you using? Please let us know how it works out!
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

I ordered this tape after reading reviews of this and others.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B093Q2BRSD?ps ... ct_details

I have used 3m tape before on a '73 2002 my son and I modded. The rocker panel trim wouldn't fit correctly because of some big boxer flares we had put on the car, and I used a double sided 3M tape like the one above. Some people laughed at it but we ran the car for a while in the wet and dry and it was rock solid.
John in VA

Post by John in VA »

Panici wrote: Aug 16, 2022 1:35 PMI have to reattach the emblems on my '87 325is. Same style as the E28.
What specific 3M tape are you using? Please let us know how it works out!
Check out https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40065949/
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

that looks interesting, is it putty or something similar?

Here's the first step, trimming the tape to the inside edge of the emblem

but here also is a potential problem, or, I got it exactly right (I love luck), is the tape thick enough to adhere properly?

By the end of this project I think I may go through about every piece of this car, out of necessity.
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

The acid test so to speak. First locate the bottom of the logo with blue tape up 18mm or a smidgen less than 3/4" from the bottom edge. According to the BMW manual link HayekFan posted, the 524 td logo starts in 120mm, or 4.75" in American, from the edge of the trunk lid to the right edge of the "4". There was no reference to a 535is logo so the 524td logo is a close as I can get. Then 21mm, or about 7/8" the to left edge of the "t". I shrunk that gap to 3/4" as there is no cross on the "I" of the logo.

I believe I am lucky in that it seems the thickness of the 3M tape is just right. Off comes the red plastic backing and then place and press firmly.The tape is holding, now wiggle at all.

And then polish the chrome parts of the taillights. Amazing after 34 years of weather, dirt and grime the chrome polishes to almost new. And makes the rear of the car look better!

Would anyone that has an unmolested 535is logo check my measurements above and tell me what yours are. I don't think I'd move mine but I'd like to know how close I got.
cek

Post by cek »

So sexy. Keep it up!
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

why the American measurements? The car is metric from the front to the back including the spacing of the model insignia on the trunk.

Metric 17mm-18mm-19mm as you go up in size.

American measurement
11/16 for both 16mm and 17mm
3/4 for both 18mm and 19mm

and the numbers don't even count up

Unless you work with US measurements regularly, the ease of metric is obvious.

//rant off.

It looks nice and this one will be a fine example when you are done. Does look like you will be messing with every part as you said with the level of detail you want to achieve.
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

Well shadow, sarcasm or dry humor is almost impossible on the interwebs. My bad attempt on humor, but also pointing out the real world. I have a caliper that would orient the logos within .001”, but what’s the point?

In a perfect world, base 10 is much easier than base 12. Point well taken. I was too lazy to get my caliper and used my tape measure instead.

Progress for the next few weeks will be sporadic. I need to finish our shed, and the MM motor won’t be here until after November.
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

ok, so after having the car and bits and pieces painted, now comes the time to reassemble and remount the rear spoiler on Maeve.
As I clean up the undersides of the wing its pretty obvious the OEM method used double sided tape.
When removing the dried, brittle tape I went a little deeper than perhaps I should have. The white is not the tape backing, it's the fiberglass of the rear spoiler body color trim.
before
after

So some years ago I had the option of buying my business partner's red Z4M coupe. I was about 50 years old at the time and it was too much of a cliche, mid life crisis bullshit etc so I passed like an idiot. Now I'm 68 and frankly I don't give a rip about any else's opinion of driving a bright red car. I love Zinnoberrot!

Youth is wasted on the young.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Properly turned out a Zinno E28 is a sharp looking ride. Party on.

But this is a garage queen, isn't it? Or are you building a new daily driver?
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

it will be a daily driver Shadow.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

gwb72tii wrote: Aug 25, 2022 12:12 PM it will be a daily driver Shadow.
Sweet
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

Well years of physical activity, football, baseball, tennis, golf and skiing have taken their toll.
I took a nasty fall skiing at speed about 5 years ago, landing on the side of my head and the point of my right shoulder. I couldn't raise my right arm for a couple days and didn't realize I had partially torn my right shoulder rotator cuff. Recently, while working on my wife's "she shed" I tried to lift the scaffolding we were using without having my feet under me and my shoulder went "pop". I had an MRI on Monday and I have a completely ruptured rotator cuff so the next step will be surgery. crap....

So for now progress on Maeve will be temporarily halted. Some things I will be able to do one handed like cleaning the carpet and such, but not as much as I need to be able to do. Postings will be sporadic for a while until after surgery and post-op physical rehab. Luckily we were able to complete the construction phase of the shed. haha

One thing I can do is drive my tractor, and while I was brush cutting the back 40 I startled a bird out of a tree and was able to capture a pic:
Panici

Post by Panici »

gwb72tii wrote: Sep 14, 2022 1:59 PMI had an MRI on Monday and I have a completely ruptured rotator cuff so the next step will be surgery. crap....
Oof, sorry to hear it. Shoulder injuries are no joke, take the time you need to rest after surgery.
The car will still be there when you're back up and running.
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

So it’s official, I have a “massive” rotator cuff tear, where the entire tendon has separated from my shoulder.
Surgery on the 14th, in a sling until the end of November, then physical therapy.
Maeve is currently on the shelf until at least January.
I can’t shift a car so I’ll need to drive something automatic. Yuck.

So what should I buy for a 6 month widow and then sell?
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

gwb72tii wrote: Sep 24, 2022 11:48 AM So it’s official, I have a “massive” rotator cuff tear, where the entire tendon has separated from my shoulder.
Surgery on the 14th, in a sling until the end of November, then physical therapy.

2005 Ford Focus with 110K miles, but in Houston.
Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

gwb72tii wrote: Sep 24, 2022 11:48 AM So it’s official, I have a “massive” rotator cuff tear, where the entire tendon has separated from my shoulder.

I'm sorry to hear about your prognosis. Hopefully the surgery is a success and you heal without any mishaps.

As for a car to drive, a VW Golf R with a DSG is fun, and they hold onto their value extremely well.
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

I'm back, so to speak. Surgery was successful, and I start physical therapy tomorrow. I still cannot raise my right arm above my head so any progress will be slow for a while.
I did manage to do this while I was laid up. Go to the post at the bottom by gwb72tii:
https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic ... 8#comments
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

I'd be sick. :shock:
Panici

Post by Panici »

gwb72tii wrote: Nov 28, 2022 8:13 PM I'm back, so to speak. Surgery was successful, and I start physical therapy tomorrow. I still cannot raise my right arm above my head so any progress will be slow for a while.
I did manage to do this while I was laid up. Go to the post at the bottom by gwb72tii:
https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic ... 8#comments
Glad the surgery was successful. Take the time you need to heal.
Sorry to hear about the '02, it always feels much worse when it's your own fault. But these things happen, and it can be fixed. Will be back better then ever after fresh paint!
szacsi72

Post by szacsi72 »

Great thread, following.

Please post a lot of pictures when you are doing audio stuff - I've never done anything stereo on any of my cars, and I need to build a complete new system for my E28 that just happens to also be of Zinnoberrot colour, so it' will help me a lot.

Thanks!
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

szacsi72 wrote: Dec 02, 2022 8:06 AM Great thread, following.

Please post a lot of pictures when you are doing audio stuff - I've never done anything stereo on any of my cars, and I need to build a complete new system for my E28 that just happens to also be of Zinnoberrot colour, so it' will help me a lot.

Thanks!
It will be a few months before I get there, but happy to post pics

In mean time I suggest you read the following thread and links from the e30 crowd. Lots of good info on updating speakers which apply directly to an e28 as well. The “Luke box” can be cobbled together as a do it yourself project, but the biggest gain I experienced was tuning my amplifier to where I could play my system louder than needed, but without distortion. I basically had no car stereo experience, but following the step by step system build completely surprised me with the detailed high fidelity sound. Crazy good, and not hard to do on your own.

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/forum/ ... ds-of-pics
https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/forum/ ... the-basics
szacsi72

Post by szacsi72 »

gwb72tii wrote: Dec 03, 2022 11:35 AM
szacsi72 wrote: Dec 02, 2022 8:06 AM Great thread, following.

Thanks!
It will be a few months before I get there, but happy to post pics

In mean time I suggest you read the following thread and links from the e30 crowd. Lots of good info on updating speakers which apply directly to an e28 as well. The “Luke box” can be cobbled together as a do it yourself project, but the biggest gain I experienced was tuning my amplifier to where I could play my system louder than needed, but without distortion. I basically had no car stereo experience, but following the step by step system build completely surprised me with the detailed high fidelity sound. Crazy good, and not hard to do on your own.

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/forum/ ... ds-of-pics
https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/forum/ ... the-basics
Thank you!