Waiting For My E28 Purchase

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
wkohler

Re: Waiting For My E28 Purchase

Post by wkohler »

Interested in more photos since that should actually be a 535is.
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

wkohler wrote: Nov 03, 2021 12:58 AM Interested in more photos since that should actually be a 535is.
What are you seeing? No sport seats (according to new owner), foglights on bumper . . . can't see the trunk lid.

If we only had a VIN??!!
jyl

Post by jyl »

Let's see if my newfound Flickr skills come through . . .

I plugged the VIN into the decoder at https://bimmercat.com/bmw/en/search/vin_search and got

535i M30 (From 01.10.1984)
E28 sedan USA
Manufacture date: 11.1985 Steering: L Gearbox: M

Model
535i (DC74)
Gearbox
1.25l (Getrag 260/6 Manual)
Engine
5.75l (M30 B34)
Final drive
1.90l
Antifreeze(with AC)
12.50l
Antifreeze
12.00l
Brakes
1.00l
* Sports transmission: 1,6 l

So I think it is an "i", not an "is".

However, I did pick this up, alas sans mounting bar/clips or fog lights. But it was very cheap so I'm not complaining.

and these, thanks for the advice on a previous thread I started (yes I started accumulating parts before I had the car) - I am starting to look at re-upholstering options, either DIY or a good shop local to Portland OR.

Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

Thanks for sharing! I'm really excited for your journey.

The "535i" on your trunk lid is not in the right position. Usually when I see this, I look to see if the trunk has been repainted or replaced.

I like the color combo of your car.
jyl

Post by jyl »

Good eye! Yes, the whole car was resprayed over bare metal. Looks like the badging is too low.

The decal in the engine compartment says “Arktiblau”, does it look like the right exterior color?

In fact, can anyone tell me the name of the interior color? I’m thinking about getting those sports seats recovered in the same color if I can get it matched.
austin8753

Post by austin8753 »

Arctic blue = Arktisblau

Pacific blue leather = Pazifikblau leder

and, yes, the exterior color seems to be pretty close to Arctic Blue. it's a nice color.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

BMWCCA2 wrote: Nov 03, 2021 7:13 AM
wkohler wrote: Nov 03, 2021 12:58 AM Interested in more photos since that should actually be a 535is.
What are you seeing? No sport seats (according to new owner), foglights on bumper . . . can't see the trunk lid.

If we only had a VIN??!!
There must be something funky with the OP's camera because the blue in the photos posted have a lot of violet in them which suggested the car was Royalblau-metallic, a color only available with an M30 powered car in the US on a 535is (you could get a Royalblau 528e). Of course, the interior has clearly been redone in a blue with some violet that doesn't match the orignal Pazifikblau (as seen on the seat backs for the front seats). Arktisblau paint sticker seals the deal though. Who knows. My comment was all based on color, mostly from the photo with the hood open. I feel like I've seen a few cars of each color.
jyl

Post by jyl »

wkohler wrote: Nov 04, 2021 2:05 AM There must be something funky with the OP's camera because the blue in the photos posted have a lot of violet in them which suggested the car was Royalblau-metallic, a color only available with an M30 powered car in the US on a 535is (you could get a Royalblau 528e). Of course, the interior has clearly been redone in a blue with some violet that doesn't match the orignal Pazifikblau (as seen on the seat backs for the front seats). Arktisblau paint sticker seals the deal though. Who knows. My comment was all based on color, mostly from the photo with the hood open. I feel like I've seen a few cars of each color.
I see what you're saying. I used my iPhone, but am not sure how it processes images.

The leather seats are more slick and glossy than I think is "normal". I would prefer a more matte finish, and was reading about how to do that, but decided to put that way back in the queue of things to work on, since those front seats may not stay anyway.

I can post the VIN if there are better info sources available. Is posting a full VIN a problem?

Waiting on the tail light seals for the trunk dampness. Also chasing down dampness in driver and passenger footwells - drains are clear, have ordered sunroof "seals". The car lived in a garage and was hardly driven since the respray, but in its new Portland home it needs to not leak . . .
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

sunroof is designed to leak. There is the surround to catch any water around the front and sides and a u-channel that follows the sunroof movement, attached to the liner, that is positioned at the opening at the back of the s/r (when closed) to direct that water to the sides, then to the front and rear sunroof drains.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

jyl wrote: Nov 04, 2021 1:14 PM
I can post the VIN if there are better info sources available. Is posting a full VIN a problem?
Some are concerned, and I can be more than cautious, but I wouldn't worry about it. What can someone do with a VIN without paperwork, not much.
Waiting on the tail light seals for the trunk dampness. Also chasing down dampness in driver and passenger footwells - drains are clear, have ordered sunroof "seals". The car lived in a garage and was hardly driven since the respray, but in its new Portland home it needs to not leak . . .
Trunks can be tricky. Taillight gaskets are probably the most common cause, but when I bought new BMW ones they only kept it dry for a year. Some double them up putting new ones over the old and say good things about doing that, that wasn't well known when I did mine so I just pitched the old ones. Late in my ownership I worked some butyl caulk in the corners and IIRC that seemed do the trick. But there's more. The trunk gasket/seal can be a problem, and even if the gasket itself is good, the corners can split and leak. The usually reviled URO ones seem to be regarded as best now. But if they have split at the corners, I've had great good luck with masking tape on the bottom, flowing some black Silicone caulk to fill the gap, taping it on top, shutting the trunk and waiting overnight. It's worked great for me. Other possible causes are a bad rear windshield gasket and even the antenna gasket.

I'm in what was once the rain country of Northern California so I know about wet in the winter.

On the sunroof. The gasket is more of a deflector than a seal, keeps the heavy stuff out, enough that the drain system can handle what gets thru. If it's not present, or if the sunroof is out of adjustment, ie too low in back, it will leak into the car.
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

"Respray over bare metal" with a wet floor would point me to the windshield installation. Is it a factory w/s with "BMW" logo? Does the gasket and trim fit properly around the corners? Use some actual leather cleaner and treatment like Leatherique instead of whatever Armor-All clone the "restorer" used on the leather might kill the gloss. Can't tell if they're redone or just re-dyed with sun-faded piping.
jyl

Post by jyl »

Thanks, the full VIN is WBADC7405G0961616 - I'd be very interested to know more about what this car came with, if anyone has access to the info.

I was just looking at the windshield last night. It is not an OEM windshield. The seal is new, but I noticed a gap (1/8” or more) between glass and seal at the lower right (passenger) corner and will go back and look closely at the rest of it. The chrome corners don't look perfectly fitted. Ideally, I'd rather not have the windshield removed and reinstalled until I can get OEM glass (maybe someday). EDIT: actually, does that make sense? Maybe I shops find a good installer and have the windshield pulled and re-installed.

I got sunroof seals and plan to install them this week. The sunroof is a tiny bit below roof level in the rear, so I'll try to adjust it.
Last edited by jyl on Nov 08, 2021 11:53 PM, edited 2 times in total.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

jyl wrote: Nov 08, 2021 2:20 PM I'd be very interested to know more about what this car came with, if anyone has access to the info.
VIN 0961616
Prod. Date 1985-11-26

Type 535 I US
Series E28 (5 Series)

Steering Left Hand Drive
Engine M30

Transmission Manual
Colour arctis-blau
SA Codes
S458 Electr. Front Seat Adjustment

S551 On-Board Computer II With Remote Control

S209 Differential Lock 25%

This is all the vin decoder will have for a US E28 for the SA Codes. a limited list because much of the options for €cars were standard on the US cars. Power windows, Power and heated mirrors, heated windshield washer nozzles, a/c, TRX tires and metric wheels, power seats. All part of the package and itemized on a € build sheet but not on a US car build sheet.

Only option on your car is the LSD. The electric seats became standard on the 535 in early 85 production and the OBCII was standard, too. Listed because of the way BMW was doing their business back then.
jyl

Post by jyl »

Thank you very much!

Since it was built Nov 1985, should I call it a “1985” instead of 1986?
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

No. Model year change is done in Sept at BMW.

The G in your VIN indicates an 86.
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

Here's more:

Vehicle Data
VIN: WBADC7405G0961616

Chassis Number: 0961616

Line Make: 01 - BMW Car

Model Year: 1986

AG Model Code/Desc: DC74 - 535I/4

NA Model Code/Desc: 8653 - 535I

Motor Type: M30

Exterior Color Code: 045 (ARTIC BLUE METALLIC)

Interior Trim Code: 0204 (PACIFIC BLUE LEATHER)

MSRP: $32,620.00

Vehicle Production Date: 1985/11

Series: E28

Wholesale Center ID/Loc: 46648 - 01

Wholesale Date: 12/20/1985

Retail Center ID/Loc: 46648 - 01

Retail Date: 04/15/1986

In-Service Date: 04/15/1986

Option Information
Code Description

0209 Limited-slip differential

0458 Seat Adjustment - Electric

0551 ON-BOARD COMPUTER

0908 SPOC

0946 pioneer radio/price dependancy

0989 FOGLIGHTS - HELLA 528E

Customer Information
Name (First/Last):
MR. MURRAY
Address: (deleted by me)
NORFOLK VA 23511 UNITED STATES

New Vehicle Limited Warranty
EXPIRED
04/15/1986

Dealer:
KASHOUTY BMW

Repair History (Claims)
Mileage Defect Code/Description

02/19/1996
Clutch master cylinder misfires / malfunction

03/30/1993
Pressure accumulator leaking
jyl

Post by jyl »

Thank you! It’s cool to see that information. “Mr. Murray” is the guy I bought it from. Still in VA but different area. Car has basically lived in VA with a decade in Dubai.
MyE24

Post by MyE24 »

jyl

Post by jyl »

Portland is “enjoying” an atmospheric river, they say, and it has rained every day for weeks. Just the time to have an E28 that leaks!

I feel like I’ve made some progress. Replaced tail light gasket and license plate lights, and got the non-hardening 3M caulk for the trunk lid gasket which, while new, is in large areas not adhered in its channel. Had a glass guy inspect windshield and rear window gasket and add sealant between glass and rubber. Tomorrow I’ll replace the sunroof seals. The firewall area (where the heater fan lives) looks dry, and its drains look clear through my borescope. Tomorrow I’m going to pull the front seats and lift up the carpet and insulation pad, and get fans in there to dry everything out. I think it’ll be easier to localize leaks if I can see the bare floor.

On a more fun note, I picked up some BBS RC090 8” x 17” wheels. The car has 15” wheels which I will likely keep for winter tires. The BBS have 235/45-17 tires, a mismatched set, but hopefully good enough to install the wheels on the car and drive around enough to figure out if I want to keep the 17”s or try some 16”s. If the former, I’ll have to refinish them as they are not fully presentable.
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

Good luck with fitting 8"-wide wheels, especially on the LR, without some fender rolling. And that's without you telling us what the offset is.
jyl

Post by jyl »

Offset is 20. I hope it works - I consulted the wheel and tire fitment table that is linked in the FAQs here, and 8” x 17” ET 20 seemed potentially workable, perhaps with a narrower tire than the 235s that came on the wheels.
jyl

Post by jyl »

Okay, I have done a Neanderthal thing.

The thick “underlayer” that is under the carpet, on the front floor - the driver and front passenger footwells? The stuff that is 1” of gray open cell foam with a layer of brown stuff on top? It holds so much water - it’s a giant sponge! It is taking forever to dry out, and will trap water on the floor if there are further leaks. I am not a fan.

Edit: the underlayer is intact although sodden on the passenger side. Oddly, I found that it is disintegrating on the driver’s side. The brown layer is failing to pieces, the foam is rotten and pulled apart like wet bread.

So I cut it all out from the flat part of the front floor. The carpet is unaffected. I have ordered some 1/2” closed cell foam (like Ensolite) and will use a double layer of that to replace the factory underlayer. It shouldn’t absorb water and can be easily removed if needed.
Last edited by jyl on Nov 14, 2021 12:38 PM, edited 1 time in total.
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

jyl wrote: Nov 14, 2021 1:28 AMI have ordered some 1/2” closed cell foam (like Ensolite) and will use a double layer of that to replace the factory underlayer. It shouldn’t absorb water and can be easily removed if needed.
Whatever. It won't get a chance to absorb water if you fix the leaks.
Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

jyl wrote: Nov 12, 2021 11:22 PM
On a more fun note, I picked up some BBS RC090 8” x 17” wheels. The car has 15” wheels which I will likely keep for winter tires. The BBS have 235/45-17 tires, a mismatched set, but hopefully good enough to install the wheels on the car and drive around enough to figure out if I want to keep the 17”s or try some 16”s. If the former, I’ll have to refinish them as they are not fully presentable.
Don't forget your hub centric rings for your new-to-you wheels if they came off of an e39. :D
tn535i

Post by tn535i »

I know you have all already been over a lot of discussion so if I am repeating sorry...

The blue on blue is the same as my car. If it's not arktisblau (spelling), it's very close. When I got my car it had original paint (still does but less of it) and in the right light it definitely had a lot of purple-ish tint to it. We also had an artic blue e30 before the e28 and it was my favorite color on a 4 door e30/28.

I think you are right the seats look much too shiny but they look like the original leather (fittingof it) to me. The backside of the headrest I can see looks right as do the blue dash components and such. I'm guessing someone has put some kind of leather 'dressing' on those seats. Maybe you have in mind to change it up but if keeping I bet Leatherique two step clean and condition would make them look like you would expect them too.

Personally I think a 7" wheel ideal on the e28 and favorite (as on my car) is the Style 29 which is also one of the easiest to keep clean. Then use a 205/55/16 tire. It's as close to what BMW intended as possible and enough rubber for a 535. I would not try to go 8".

The carpets in these cars is near indestructible as any I've ever seen and usually clean up well. The stuff underneath not so much as you are finding. If you gone this far you might just replace it with newer products which are easily available but I don't know about just foam? I'd be inclined to remove the carper and thoroughly clean it outside the car and not put back until you resolve the moisture issues. There are some combination foam and mass loaded vinyl materials that are great for sound and vibration I would choose rather than just foam. I think it is what BMW sort of had in there.

If I go back to the start of this did you think you were getting an 'is' car or was there an is you had your eye on but lost out on it? I'm not sure?

In any case look like a great starting point to make what you want of it.

Oh, and to be selfish a second... If for some reason you decide to change your seats or recover and you would like to sell a PB seat bottom cover I could sure use one. :)