So, saw this ALPINA B7 Turbo #066 in NYC today...

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
Foonfer

So, saw this ALPINA B7 Turbo #066 in NYC today...

Post by Foonfer »

...exhibited as part of a car show in Lower Manhattan.

As usual, my back-of-napkin calculation for these types of shows yields that the cars shown will be 90% Porsches/Ferraris (there were some memorable ones, like a 1980s RUF, a silver 308GTB, a 265 Daytona and a 400i), and BMW was severely under-represented (A clownshoe, a totally butchered customized E30 touring, another customized 2002, a standard E24 M6, and then... this Achatgrün thing:

https://www.autosportdesigns.com/vehicl ... a-b7-turbo

It was there, hood open, windows open for us mere mortals to drool over. It also had a spec sheet with a sales pitch description, and it showed an asking price of

ONE HUNDRED, EIGHTY-NINE THOUSAND, U.S. DOLLARS.

Granted the car was gorgeous down to the gaskets that prevent air from entering the engine compartment at speed, the WISCH-WASCH headlight wiper system, the Alpina upholstery, instrumentation, shift knob and wheels (!!) and the Burkard Bovensiepen plaque, but even so... I found that amount to be a biiiiiiiiiiiiiit steep.
Bonsaibacker

Re: So, saw this ALPINA B7 Turbo #066 in NYC today...

Post by Bonsaibacker »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Simply stunning. I am sure it was infinitely more impressive in person.
4DSC

Post by 4DSC »

It's this car that sold on BaT in 2014: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1985- ... b71-turbo/
I think it belong[s/ed] to someone here on the board?

Holy grail car/color combo for me. The only thing that lets it down IMO is that aftermarket stereo. Please get an 80s Blaupunkt in there ASAP!
austin8753

Post by austin8753 »

RoyW's old car.
gray635

Post by gray635 »

Austin is correct. Roy bought it from Ron Perry a number of years ago. IIRC Roy flew out to CA to look at a Hartge H5S that Ron had for sale and wound up buying the Alpina instead.

It is a stunning car. Looks like the price has gone up a bit in 7 years. :shock:
Last edited by gray635 on Oct 18, 2021 11:22 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Foonfer

Post by Foonfer »

I would have assumed it had to be owned by someone around here, these are as high profile as they come.

Yes, the car was stunning in person (oof, that paint, that upholstery, the brightwork) but at the same time it was *almost* normal looking, in a "blink and you miss it" kind of way - even the Alpina stripes looked sort of subdued with the green finish.

Of course, part of it might have to be due to the fact that it was parked next to a fire-engine rossocorsa Daytona 365 GTC, but nevertheless - a good amount of the E28's allure lies in how understated it is, and all the kinds of amazing it can be.

And the aftermarket head unit was a total downer. Come on, for that kind of coin you'd at least expect a Continental radio! :heehee:
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

The buyer from the BaT auction sold it to EAG and they had it listed in 2016 for $149,990 and it did sell. That was 5 years ago at this point and in this crazy market, it's hard to think that some appreciation isn't unwarranted. I don't know what these things are worth. Asking prices are just that. They come up for sale so infrequently and there are so few of them it's hard to say. EAG has another that is a Japan import. They are asking $200k for it.

#066 is very well documented though isn't completely stock. The exhaust is a custom unit the original owner had made after conferring with Alpina how to get more power from the car because believe it or not he did track it. It's got some sway bars. Roy is a guy that appreciates car audio and it's a big part of everything he does. I guess with anything the important thing is whether or not it's done well. One thing that car also has is a CA BAR sticker and it is not unheard of for cars to be let back into CA after having been out for a while. Not saying that makes the car worth more but it certainly opens up the market.
Adam W in MN

Post by Adam W in MN »

Mitch Brookhyser's old car (before Roy bought it). Hilarious to think I rode in this car when owned by the driving instructor guy before Mitch in Las Vegas at a track event in 1998 or 99. Then I rode in it under Mitch's ownership. She's come a long way.
Kenny Blankenship

Post by Kenny Blankenship »

Adam W in MN wrote: Oct 18, 2021 10:31 PM Mitch Brookhyser's old car (before Roy bought it). Hilarious to think I rode in this car when owned by the driving instructor guy before Mitch in Las Vegas at a track event in 1998 or 99. Then I rode in it under Mitch's ownership. She's come a long way.
Was it by any chance an Asian guy that was the driving instructor? I seem to recall looong ago somebody having a green Alpina B7 (though I can't remember E12 or E28) driving around the track for a while. I also seem to recall he limited his time on the track to due the engine heating up...
Adam W in MN

Post by Adam W in MN »

Kenny Blankenship wrote: Oct 19, 2021 3:08 PM
Adam W in MN wrote: Oct 18, 2021 10:31 PM Mitch Brookhyser's old car (before Roy bought it). Hilarious to think I rode in this car when owned by the driving instructor guy before Mitch in Las Vegas at a track event in 1998 or 99. Then I rode in it under Mitch's ownership. She's come a long way.
Was it by any chance an Asian guy that was the driving instructor? I seem to recall looong ago somebody having a green Alpina B7 (though I can't remember E12 or E28) driving around the track for a while. I also seem to recall he limited his time on the track to due the engine heating up...
Yep! That was him. I remember the front airdam was pretty rough and he was taking it easy around the track.