Shipping A Car

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
jyl

Shipping A Car

Post by jyl »

I’m getting an E28 shipped from VA to OR. Car was restored last year, so don’t want damage. Can anyone recommend a shipper? Would you use open or enclosed? Any tips?

Thanks!
Ripton

Re: Shipping A Car

Post by Ripton »

I have shipped 7-8 cars and only had one bad experience. Most places are just brokerage houses, so the experience you have is often solely based on the driver that bids on the job.

For the car you described I would go enclosed. You have the best shot also at having a single car transport, (basically a guy with a truck and large landscaping trailer) which is generally faster.

BAT now offers trailer services, not sure if they do it for cars not bought/sold through them.
Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

DEFINITELY go enclosed since the car has recently been restored. I've shipped a couple of cars on open trailers from CA to GA, and the distance combined with weather would have you wishing you'd spent the extra money to have your car protected.

Any of the major carriers (Reliable, Ply-car, etc.) that handle exotic transporting should be satisfactory. Good luck!
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

Bill's Auto Works is a single car transport that gets consistently high marks in the classic car world. He posts updates on the PY Pontiac web board - go to the bottom of this page for his latest posts, which includes his contact information. https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/fo ... 52&page=11 He said he has an enclosed trailer available this week in the SE USA.
gray635

Post by gray635 »

For cross country enclosed shipping, call Reliable Carriers, Inc. Recently transported a M5 for me from Seattle to GA. First class service and pretty reasonable price for excellent service and communication. Don't skimp on transport for a nice car. The peace of mind is more than worth it. Stay away from the shady brokers and deal with people who actually own the trucks.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Mike is, as usual, spot on. Reliable or Intercity. It's not worth the risk with one of the other guys working for brokers. I'm sure there are some decent guys out there but it's impossible to know who you're getting.
gray635

Post by gray635 »

Yeah, I've always used Intercity before. But they wouldn't bring the M5 cross-country, from Redmond. WA to GA, so I had to use Reliable. Very satisfied with their service on this haul.