NYC area service shop / mechanic recommendations

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
Foonfer

NYC area service shop / mechanic recommendations

Post by Foonfer »

So, it's come to that.

I'm here to ask for recommendations for a service shop in or around NYC. Someone that doesn't shy away from older BMWs, that is knowledgeable about them, their vulnerabilities, the culture around them, and their performance potential. Someone who has equal respect for (and is equally respected by, and routinely works with) everyone from the die-hard bone-stock crew to the turbos-swaps & mods group, and everything in between. Someone with a good network, versed and connected with the kind of acrobatics we sometimes have to go through just to source parts.

Ideally within the 5 boroughs of New York City. Or in Westchester/Yonkers, upstate NY, in Long Island, or Connecticut, or NJ... hopefully within a 1-hr drive from the city, massive bonus points if there's convenient access to the MTA, Metro North, LIRR or NJ Transit.

I know, this is my "Letter to Santa". Gotta aim high...

Thanks in advance, your input is appreciated.
Snoopy11

Re: NYC area service shop / mechanic recommendations

Post by Snoopy11 »

I have been very happy with Matt at Empower in Belvedere, NJ.

Very knowledgeable on all vintage BMW and even newer models.

Extremely honest and professional in all services I've had with him.

Tell him Manny sent you-
Foonfer

Post by Foonfer »

I think I have heard of them. I definitely remember seeing the video of the girl driving the 2002, that's some beautiful footage. But ooof... they are 2 hours away from me at least, with no transit nearby. It's great to know, and will definitely save it to my contacts list. Thanks!

Matt (recommended by Manny, "Snoopy11") at
https://www.empowerautomotive.com/
587 County Road 519, Belvidere, NJ 07823
Last edited by Foonfer on Sep 17, 2021 6:03 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Snoopy11

Post by Snoopy11 »

Foonfer wrote: Aug 18, 2021 8:09 PM I think I have heard of them. I definitely remember seeing the video of the girl driving the 2002, that's some beautiful footage. But ooof... they are 2 hours away from me at least, with no transit nearby. It's great to know, and will definitely save it to my contacts list. Thanks!

Matt (recoomended by Manny, "Snoopy11") at
https://www.empowerautomotive.com/
587 County Road 519, Belvidere, NJ 07823
I think you'll find they're exactly what you've described. Matt is a Northeast BMWCCA member and races e36s all over the northeast. They actually wrench on race cars all the time and are expanding to cater to clients that like HPDE etc.

The storage room next to the shop is full of first generation M cars, vintage porsches, MB- which he maintains, stores and keeps them ready owners to enjoy.

Is it worth the two hour drive? Well, I was on the same hunt as you years ago and kept getting disappointed everywhere I went- until I met Matt and now my cars get hauled from Delaware, every time something is needed (that is beyond my skill level).

Hope this helps.
demetk

Post by demetk »

What are you looking to have done? I may be able to help.
Notaweekend

Post by Notaweekend »

Glad someone brought it up because I've been kind of looking for the same thing. I moved here not knowing too many people and definitely don't know any trust worthy shops/enthusiasts in the area

my 535is leaks oil very slightly from the head gasket and its time to re seal

I figure that the timing chain should be swapped at the same time, and therefore the pan gasket as well.

I have all parts in hand just need a person to trust at a reasonable price

I've heard of Bimmer Clinic in NJ. they said 1100 for just the head gasket swap, and haven't gotten back to me to tell me what the cost for the chain and pan gasket would be.

Anyway. I'd love to find out more from you guys on what you think is the best place to go. Matt sounds promising from what I'm reading here.
Notaweekend

Post by Notaweekend »

Glad someone brought it up because I've been kind of looking for the same thing. I moved here not knowing too many people and definitely don't know any trust worthy shops/enthusiasts in the area

my 535is leaks oil very slightly from the head gasket and its time to re seal

I figure that the timing chain should be swapped at the same time, and therefore the pan gasket as well.

I have all parts in hand just need a person to trust at a reasonable price

I've heard of Bimmer Clinic in NJ. they said 1100 for just the head gasket swap, and haven't gotten back to me to tell me what the cost for the chain and pan gasket would be.

Anyway. I'd love to find out more from you guys on what you think is the best place to go. Matt sounds promising from what I'm reading here.
Foonfer

Post by Foonfer »

demetk wrote: Aug 21, 2021 7:41 AM What are you looking to have done? I may be able to help.
Hi there. I sent you a PM. Thanks!
garageboy

Post by garageboy »

Hi.

I cannot recommend Mike Shiffer of Euromeccanica in Mount Vernon highly enough.

He's knowledgeable and honest, a rare combination. He's expensive, but you never have to go back twice for the same issue. Feel free to tell him I sent you.

He is a short walk from the northernmost subway stop in the Bronx, making it easy to drop the car off if it's enough of a job that you're not gonna wait for it...

Hope this helps,
.steve.
rwd535

Post by rwd535 »

I'm not sure if you're still looking, but for the last 15 years I have been using Sergio Albera at GTS Motors in Franklin Square, NY. Sergio has handled the rebuild of my engine with 275k as well 3 others that I know about. He works on all my cars, even my 2012 Hyundai. He is expensive but knowledgeable and a BMW trained Master Mechanic. Not unusual to see the dealer send a car to him to fix.
GTS MOTORS
1171 Hempstead Turnpike, Franklin Square, NY 11010
516-355-5500
Foonfer

Post by Foonfer »

@rwd535 - Yes, still keeping an open list. Thanks!
Foonfer

Post by Foonfer »

One more to add to the list. I heard very good things from someone I know (and saw -on Instagram- a very nice shop full of Euro cars new & old, including Alfas and *gasp* PEUGEOTS). The place is called V&S Motor Service, 207-20 NORTHERN BLVD, BAYSIDE NY 11361. I believe it was launched by an Argentinian expat and now he runs it with his son. I have no experience with it, but it gave me a good vibe.