Towing with U-Haul Auto Transporter

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
Kapt

Towing with U-Haul Auto Transporter

Post by Kapt »

Anyone have experience towing with a U-Haul auto transporter. It’s the type where the entire car sits on the trailer, not the dolly trailer where only the front end is supported. The tow vehicle is a GMC pick-up.
I’ve read a few horror stories about how beat up the car gets from the tow vehicle kicking up debris.
gadget73

Re: Towing with U-Haul Auto Transporter

Post by gadget73 »

I used a 2010 Silverado 1500 to pick up my 84 Continental and drug it some 8 hours from Niagara Falls to about an hour south of Philadelphia. It did a really nice job, easy to load, tows nice, honestly no complaints about the thing at all. I towed it north empty and it still did OK. I've pulled empty dollys before and they bounce all over the place. They also don't back up worth a damn, especially with a car on them. The trailer just works like any other trailer and can be put anywhere you like with a bit of practice. I got one that seemed fairly low use, nothing was bent or generally abused looking. I seem to remember the fenders over the wheels will flip down if you need some extra clearance to open the door of the car and thats pretty nice.

Paint on the Conti isn't worth a damn so I have no idea if it suffered any further damage. It sits high enough that I wouldn't really expect any damage though. I don't specifically remember if the truck had mud flaps, but if it did it was just whatever the factory ones were.
bigwave

Post by bigwave »

Have done it twice and both times worked fine with the e28. Once was a double axle trailer from Budget and the 2nd time was a 2 axle U-Haul. At least one of those two companies did not have a selection on their website for an e28 since they do want to know what you are trying to carry using the trailer, but they did have e34 available. It fit and towed fine both times with no visible damage to the car and both were 1000 mile trips. If you are really worried about the car you can always cover the front end with blue painters tape.
Kapt

Post by Kapt »

OK, this gives me a little more confidence, thanks for the input.

I’m looking to tow about 400 miles and with good weather, some blue painters tape and maybe a front air dam removal I might be in good shape.
Ibmotoren

Post by Ibmotoren »

I towed my e28 with a small Uhaul truck and the full size Uhaul trailer. Like the others have said, no problems at all. No dirtier than if I drove it the 500 miles. Probably cleaner actually because the truck blocks all the bugs. Of course in rain or snow it’d be trashed. You can PM me an email address if you care to see a picture of it situated on the trailer.
-Mike
Kapt

Post by Kapt »

Ibmotoren wrote: Aug 13, 2021 5:06 PM I towed my e28 with a small Uhaul truck and the full size Uhaul trailer. Like the others have said, no problems at all. No dirtier than if I drove it the 500 miles. Probably cleaner actually because the truck blocks all the bugs. Of course in rain or snow it’d be trashed. You can PM me an email address if you care to see a picture of it situated on the trailer.
-Mike
PM sent
alkalineom3n

Post by alkalineom3n »

Towed my E28 about 500 miles with my Land Cruiser on a U-Haul auto transport - went very well. I think from what I recall, the front valance was close to touching the tie down straps, but it was minor. The trailer I got didn't have a license plate on it - my fault for not checking before leaving U-Haul, so just give things a 2nd look instead of trusting them fully. I was unfortunately in a rush that afternoon. Surge brakes worked better on mine than I was expecting.

Don't forget the fender folds down so you can access the drivers door! Otherwise there's basically no clearance to open them. Do this BEFORE loading the car on the trailer, otherwise you basically trap yourself.

nkemp86

Post by nkemp86 »

Just made the drive from Maine to PA towing the e28 with a U-Haul 10 foot box truck and auto transport. No complaints here.

Gas mileage sucks, but that is to be expected.
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

Do Uhaul and Budget furnish the tie down rigging, or does the renter supply that?

I have my own trailer and have never needed to rent one, so I’m just curious.
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

The one time I used a U-Haul trailer they provided tie downs, but that was 25 years ago so I don't know if that still applies.
nkemp86

Post by nkemp86 »

Auto Transport has tire straps equipped for the front. Nothing for the rear.

I towed my e28 with just the fronts strapped with no issues.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

The UHaul I rented came with 4 straps. I think they are fixed to the trailer so they don't get lost.