E28 replacement carpet

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
bronzitbill

E28 replacement carpet

Post by bronzitbill »

I found this: https://www.factoryinteriors.com/wn-pro ... -4dr-2960/
I'd appreciate recommendations anyone has.
stuartinmn

Re: E28 replacement carpet

Post by stuartinmn »

I haven't heard of that company, there were some recent posts about carpeting in this discussion that may be useful: https://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?f=3 ... &p=1498842
bronzitbill

Post by bronzitbill »

Thanks. I did a search before posting but didn't find that thread. I'm going to send for some samples from the company in my original post.
jhh925

Post by jhh925 »

The link you gave to the new carpet at "Factory Interiors" is for a product made by ACC. Ben's post about his experience installing his new carpet was for an ACC carpet. That I'm aware of (based on a recent conversation with an upholsterer in Alameda whom I've worked with a bunch of times), ACC is the only company making molded replacements for our cars.

Jose's feedback is that the ACC products don't fit all that well. His theory (FWIW) is that the fiberglass molds used for heat-molding these carpets has a very different heat expansion than metal and that ACC didn't correct for that.

Regardless, after reading Ben's post, I decided to skip the effort to try to fit the ACC carpet to my car.
Kenny Blankenship

Post by Kenny Blankenship »

Has anybody had someone do a custom carpet? If so, what was the cost and results?
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Kenny Blankenship wrote: Jul 26, 2021 2:54 PM Has anybody had someone do a custom carpet? If so, what was the cost and results?
Not personally, but I could ask my upholsterer (Juan the Magnificent). Not sure he's done an E28 but I think he did Burger's E9. I can ask.
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

My experience with ACC is for non-BMW applications (a couple 1960s Pontiacs) and in my case their carpets fit pretty well, but of course that doesn't necessarily have any relevance for this application.
DFWTX85

Post by DFWTX85 »

Considering what used carpet is going for on eBay, even stuff that I would say is average or better shape (check the sold item history to see - $800 plus shipping), I hope someone can figure out an ideal solution for something new. Otherwise I guess it'll be worth it to save as much good used carpet there is and maybe clean and dye it.

There's a place in Florida, Headliner Express, that offers OE Mercedes/Porsche carpet, that might work for BMW too. They do sell OE BMW headliner material - for those that are interested.
bronzitbill

Post by bronzitbill »

Thanks to all who've replied. Gives me something to investigate.
Kenny Blankenship

Post by Kenny Blankenship »

vinceg101 wrote: Jul 26, 2021 3:00 PM
Kenny Blankenship wrote: Jul 26, 2021 2:54 PM Has anybody had someone do a custom carpet? If so, what was the cost and results?
Not personally, but I could ask my upholsterer (Juan the Magnificent). Not sure he's done an E28 but I think he did Burger's E9. I can ask.
Sure...pine green carpet is not easy to find. 😬
sheebs

Post by sheebs »

I know this thread is almost a year old, but I noticed a recent Google search turned up molded e28 carpets at a place called ocautocarpets.com. The website seems to service bout any car you can imagine, so defintely not a specialty house. But I'm on the lookout for good new carpet options, and they're right in my backyard. Anyone have any experiences?
bronziti

Post by bronziti »

was also looking into this and found this site
https://www.stockinteriors.com/AutoCarp ... 8gQAvD_BwE

edit: saw this was already on the linked thread above
Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

I am interested in this topic so I'm bumping it to the top again. :D
Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

Crickets...

Sigh.
Mtriple

Post by Mtriple »

I finally unboxed my acc carpet after sitting for a year and I can confirm that this doesn’t look like it’s going to fit very well. I’m having serious doubts about even trying to install it…
Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

Mtriple wrote: Jun 26, 2023 4:25 PM I finally unboxed my acc carpet after sitting for a year and I can confirm that this doesn’t look like it’s going to fit very well. I’m having serious doubts about even trying to install it…
Thank you for the update. Please let us know what you decide to do.
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

Like I said earlier in this discussion my experience with ACC carpet is in off topic cars, but I think in general any aftermarket molded carpet will need a certain amount of tugging and stretching and trimming to get it to fit 100%. A heat gun is a useful tool, although you have to be careful to only heat up the carpet enough so the backing will stretch and no so much that it starts to actually melt it. To fit it into corners, put on leather gloves to protect your hands from the heat, and make a fist to push the carpet into place.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

only ACC experience I have is in floor mats, and not in a BMW. They fit fine but are wearing poorly. The set in the car have been there for 5 years and about 20k miles. The driver's side mat has a bigger bald spot under my heel than the 240k mile original floor mats in two of my other cars.

I had been considering a full replacement rug from them, but based on the poor wear on the mats I think my plan will be to pull the original but faded rug and attempt a re-dye. Its not in bad shape really, but its a bunch of shades lighter than it ought to be, and blue faded to nearly grey is not a great look.