Do you park the E28 in the garage? Or anything?

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.

What if anything do you park in the garage?

The E28 of course.
67%
My wonderful wife's car
6%
Something newer and more expensive
8%
Something older and cooler, like an E9 or 70s 911
8%
The lawn mower
No votes
Lots of crap I don't really need but don't want to throw away
6%
My plans for world domination
4%
My beer cooler
No votes

Total votes: 48

Mike W.

Do you park the E28 in the garage? Or anything?

Post by Mike W. »

So do you park the E28 in the garage, assuming you have one. Or the wife's car? Or anything? Now women do have this funny thing, they really like to park in garages. Me? Eh, if I had a garage like my now retired boss, 9 cars worth in Az with 10,000 square feet of paved area :shock: I would probably find a way. But I'm always working on stuff, car stuff, house stuff, all kinds of stuff, sitting drinking beer, whatever.
vinceg101

Re: Do you park the E28 in the garage? Or anything?

Post by vinceg101 »

It's where crap goes to spend eternity.

And my woodshop.
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

Currently, my garage has my '02 E39 530i Sport/Premium 5sp to protect its perfect Jet Black paint; one of my 1970 1600 Cabriolets currently on jack stands with the struts off and all the hydraulics ready to be replaced; a 1981 R100CS getting a maintenance, new master cylinder, and fork rebuild; one of my two 1972 R60/5s waiting for new tires, battery, etc, my R1150RS just because it's ready to go at a moment's notice and is, in fact, the only vehicle facing outward. In another garage at the old house is one of my 1964 700s Convertibles, an R27 in Dover White, and an R69S-US all of which will transfer to the full basement in the new house when I get around to it.

Neither of my E28s are likely to ever be $50k BaT prospects and I do understand what garage-kept can mean to an old BMW, just having bought my wife a one-owner garage-kept E90 Sport to replace her totaled E82 128 sport. I really wish I had enough room for my E82 128i Msport stick which is my true forever BMW. And my various 2002/tiis which all will need a garage once I get around to restoring them. I'm doing the best I can with what I've got!

And this is what's parked outside the garage:

Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

My garage has the E28 and E23. One of the few people in the US that uses a garage for cars...and household junk. My garage is a mess and full, mostly.

Didn't see the option for one car for each spot in the garage.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

vinceg101 wrote: Jul 11, 2021 3:08 AM It's where crap goes to spend eternity.

And my woodshop.
I should clarify that this was for my home garage. The off-site hangar is where the E28 is and where all the car-related activities happen.
But it's equally as cluttered with car crap. And tools. Lot's of tools.
austin8753

Post by austin8753 »

e28m5 and e30m3 live inside. debating buying a four post lift for my garage, so i can stuff my s50 powered e30 inside, too.

unlike the majority of Americans, my garage isn't cluttered with crap and is actually used for storing cars.

e28Sean

Post by e28Sean »

Not being married means the E28 and the AMG both get to sleep in the garage. ...for now.

Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

austin8753 wrote: Jul 11, 2021 6:36 PM e28m5 and e30m3 live inside. debating buying a four post lift for my garage, so i can stuff my s50 powered e30 inside, too.

unlike the majority of Americans, my garage isn't cluttered with crap and is actually used for storing cars.
Well then where do you put your crap? :D
austin8753

Post by austin8753 »

Mike W. wrote: Jul 11, 2021 8:20 PM
austin8753 wrote: Jul 11, 2021 6:36 PM e28m5 and e30m3 live inside. debating buying a four post lift for my garage, so i can stuff my s50 powered e30 inside, too.

Well then where do you put your crap? :D
...at work... :( LOL

(though, i have a whole hell of a lot less than i did, two years ago)
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

3 cars and a boat in the detached garage, and one car in the overhang off the side of the garage. My pickup sits out in the driveway. The attached garage is a single bay but with a narrow door so it stores 2 other people's motorcycles, a bunch of stuff that doesn't belong to me, and one shelf of bulky car parts that are mine. It also hosts 3 tons of wood pellets in the winter.

I actually make sure to keep the big garage full of cars specifically to prevent it from being filled up with junk.
Giuliano

Post by Giuliano »

The E28 lives in the garage at least for now, but it will be parked on the street when I start the restoration of my E12 528i, the only cars than I won't leave outside are the E34 535i (repainted last summer with new trims etc, it was also stolen some years ago) and an Autobianchi A112 that's in pieces (it has no interior, no glass, no trims, etc) and can't be parked on the street.
The rest of the garage (110mq, around 1100 square foot if my math is correct) is full of spare parts, tools, the usual crap, and it's made in a way that doesn't facilate shuffling cars in and out.
tn535i

Post by tn535i »

The M6 lives in my fairly uncluttered detached garage I built several years ago. My wife's Pilot also takes up residence there in the easier in/out side. The attic above my garage was built to handle parts and other stuff so that the main level stays pretty clear. The little basement garage that is original to our 1930's house has the e30 project in it that only comes out on rare occasions to dust off the spider webs. The 72 2002 carcass is in my backyard under a brownish tarp to blend with the surroundings. The 535 is jealous of everything else and only gets to park in wife's spot on rare occasions we take a longer trip with the Pilot. There is also a spot in my basement full of the 2002 interior parts and such.

If only I had room for a big pole barn or the like then everyone including the runabout could have a nice shelter. The best I can do for it is expensive Sunbrella cover and it does a very good job keeping it clean and dry. I can certainly attest that if you keep cars/boats/whatever for many years garage kept is best by far.
Adam W in MN

Post by Adam W in MN »

I am lucky to have a 10 car garage so all 7 cars in our 3 driver household are lucky to have their own spots. :D
Fanclutchnut

Post by Fanclutchnut »

To the inch

stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

I have a four car garage (with five cars in it) so things are tight, but they're all under a roof.
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

my apartment we have an attached one car garage with a one car driveway. I park my 88 535is in the garage and my girl friend is nice enough to park her 2019 genesis g70 in the driveway and move it before even though i leave work before her and want to take the nice e28.

my rare limited production subaru with 223k miles on it sits outside in overflow parking next to my shit car v8 e28.

the 535is is the princess haha. this winter it will go to a friends garage for storage and something will take its place in our garage. potentially the subaru since the rear defroster stopped working after razor blading old tint off.
Cactus

Post by Cactus »

I'm so bad at garages right now. Race car is currently sitting where my girlfriend's car usually goes, next to a newer, more broken BMW. Stacks of tires and parts and a motorcycle hide in the corners. That's just the attached one. My other garage has my nicest E28, a completely junk 2002, 3 motorcycles, bunch of tires, at least 2 engines. I have another E28 in an off site garage about 20 minutes away. 2/4 E28s sit outside. Almost everything I own is broken at the moment.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

I've got to say I'm surprised and impressed guys. I figured they're be about 3 parking in a garage and the rest outside. Like my stuff always is. :oops:

Actually I do have one thing under cover, my 4X8 Harbor Freight trailer. I've done the wood on it 3 times now and it just doesn't hold up under the sun and rain. At least when we used to have rain. Not a garage, but a HF "garage" meaning a glorified tent. It was actually my wife that insisted upon it as she got tired of seeing the work I put into the trailer. Why not a car there? Well, a car won't fit between the house and the fence like the trailer does. What I wouldn't give for just two more feet of side yard. Of course the neighbors barn in the back is on my wish list too along with being born rich and good looking. :roll: But I think that ship has sailed.
glowell222

Post by glowell222 »

E28 is in the garage, along with my '98 TJ Sahara.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

Mike W. wrote: Jul 27, 2021 4:09 PM
Actually I do have one thing under cover, my 4X8 Harbor Freight trailer. I've done the wood on it 3 times now and it just doesn't hold up under the sun and rain. At least when we used to have rain.

My utility trailer was done in that plastic fake wood material before I bought it. Looks like a deck rather than just plywood sheet. Small gaps between the wood let it drain too. Underneath the trailer are small I beams as deck support so its plenty strong.
garageboy

Post by garageboy »

E28 and E39 every night, tucked in to its clean, dry garage...

Each day, I decide which one to drive. Pinch me. :)
Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

e28 535i and e30 M3.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

I have 3 cars in my garage, a storage unit with 4 cars and I store a couple more at another location so to be accurate, I selected "Lots of crap I don't really need but want to throw away."
Ken H.

Post by Ken H. »

Can I check "all of the above"? :wave:
YourExpress

Post by YourExpress »

Unfortunately, I haven’t got a garage, but I would really like to have one. But since most of the time it does not rain in my area, my carport is fairly enough to protect the car from the sun.
My colorbond carport with the insulated roof is quite enough for now because it protects the car from the sun and keeps the temperature under the roof significantly lower than outside. It is something that I was looking for. I also like that the space of this carport is free and I can use it for anything when the car is not there. A garage would occupy too much space.
Last edited by YourExpress on Jul 25, 2022 5:45 AM, edited 1 time in total.