My First E28 535is

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
alps

Re: My First E28 535is

Post by alps »

Happy to help!

Hood pads are looking very fresh! Where did you source them?
Ripton

Post by Ripton »

OEM From FCP. I was really, really, really surprised at how badly the original adhesive did not want to be removed. I could find no silver bullet to remove this but time and frustration.

FCP Euro is about 30 miles from me. This makes for the occasional same day/next day deliveries.

Alps, any thoughts on the bend in the accordion? I don't know the correct nomenclature :)

Thanks!
alps

Post by alps »

Can't say much about the accordion bend, I'd check and see if mine is doing the same but it's 60 miles away at the moment.

Cool to be close to FCP Euro. I need to do my hood pad sooner or later... and yeah I keep hearing about this adhesive, haha.

...and you're also close to the Book Barn! love that place, lol.
John in VA

Post by John in VA »

Ripton wrote: May 28, 2021 4:08 PM https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

There is a kink between the air-box and MAF. I have seen this in other photos, it does not seem like I can position it to stop happening, is it normal?
It's not uncommon. You'll need to loosen all the pipes & boots & twist a bit to get the best fit. And it's an AFM (air flow meter) - not MAF! ;)
Ripton

Post by Ripton »

Thanks John! I just watched this video and it cleared up all the differences for me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxdwzlrRc8U
Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

I know I'm a bit late, but "congratulations" on acquiring such a nice example. It looks to be in great, original condition.

I also have a set of style 32s that I've been pondering mounting. The reason for my hesitation is that the set of 9 inch wheels I have for the rear don't look like they'll fit without some major fender rolling. Granted, there are 255/40s mounted on the wheels now, but I wonder if going down 10mm per side will be enough to get them to fit. I say all of this to ask the question--does it appear as if your rear fenders were ever rolled?

Thanks!
Ripton

Post by Ripton »

Mdreamer wrote: Jun 02, 2021 1:53 PM I know I'm a bit late, but "congratulations" on acquiring such a nice example. It looks to be in great, original condition.

I also have a set of style 32s that I've been pondering mounting. The reason for my hesitation is that the set of 9 inch wheels I have for the rear don't look like they'll fit without some major fender rolling. Granted, there are 255/40s mounted on the wheels now, but I wonder if going down 10mm per side will be enough to get them to fit. I say all of this to ask the question--does it appear as if your rear fenders were ever rolled?

Thanks!
Thanks!

I was nervous about this too, my fenders were definitely never rolled. And I may be wrong but I think it's only 5mm each side right? 10mm total?

Initially I did not think I was getting any rubbing at all, but after really diving into some corners, on occasion I will get a very minor rub, but it's rare, and night and day from what it was before.
Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

Thanks for the quick reply!

Technically, the first number listed on the tire is supposed to measure the width in millimeters, so the difference between a 245 and a 255 is "supposed to be" 10 mm. Of course, there are other factors to consider like the brand and model of the tire, etc.

I've been thinking about just going with 8s on both axles with 235s mounted, but you've given me the confidence to try the 9s with a smaller tire a bit more. :up:
Ripton

Post by Ripton »

Mdreamer wrote: Jun 02, 2021 11:08 PM Thanks for the quick reply!

Technically, the first number listed on the tire is supposed to measure the width in millimeters, so the difference between a 245 and a 255 is "supposed to be" 10 mm. Of course, there are other factors to consider like the brand and model of the tire, etc.

I've been thinking about just going with 8s on both axles with 235s mounted, but you've given me the confidence to try the 9s with a smaller tire a bit more. :up:
Right but it's not 10mm of the outside wall, is 10mm total, so for rubbing purposes you are only bringing the tire in an additional 5mm, I think?
John in VA

Post by John in VA »

If you look at the tire specs on a site like TireRack.com you'll discover that different brands/models of tires with the same width dimensions (205, 225) are listed with varying widths.
As Phil M. reported years ago, the left rear wheel well is a tighter fit than the right one - that's where you typically get rubbing.
garageboy

Post by garageboy »

Ripton wrote: Jun 01, 2021 7:02 PM OEM From FCP. I was really, really, really surprised at how badly the original adhesive did not want to be removed. I could find no silver bullet to remove this but time and frustration.
With your other cars, I'm surprised you aren't aware of Würth products. In particular, their Clean-Solv product works like a charm. It's a very aggressive solvent on glue and goop, but it completely is safe on clear coat and paint. Amazing stuff. I learned about it decades ago from a bodyshop dude that tossed me some with a rag to clean the trunk seal goop off mine (on my time, to satisfy my OCD, cheaper that way). Würth products are the best solvents on earth, IMHO. I wish you had asked.
Ripton wrote: Jun 01, 2021 7:02 PM FCP Euro is about 30 miles from me. This makes for the occasional same day/next day deliveries.
I have had inconsistent results from FCP, but it's a nice drive up from NYC. They are parts peddlers -- they do not know these cars. If the computer says "this is the part", then this is the part, whether it's the right part or not. They have no knowledge beyond that, and I've been inconvenienced more than once because of their lack of knowledge. I use BMW of Morristown (also a nice drive from NYC) because you can look up the parts on their website, their discounts are sick, and factory parts have a 2-year unlimited mileage warranty.

Looking at the photos of your car, you seem to use stock parts a lot (that airbox is sexy). I find BMW of Morristown is a great source, and if they don't know about a part, they have folks at NA that can help them.
Ripton wrote: Jun 01, 2021 7:02 PM Alps, any thoughts on the bend in the accordion? I don't know the correct nomenclature :)
They all do that. It's just what it is. :D

In terms of value, I think the best we can do is list the criteria that impact value in these cars, which is not much different from the criteria for an E30 or E9 or 02:
-- low mileage, which, in 2021 for a 30+ year old car, is anything under 100,000 miles
-- number of owners, simply because the fewer people that have messed with a car, the better
-- documentation, including window sticker and receipts during the car's prior ownership. My E28 came with a ridiculous log book from when the 1st owner filled up with gas, but every receipt showed he changed the oil before the winter, stored it, and changed the oil after the winter when he started driving it again. With receipts, they proved (although the car's condition clearly verified it) the car was never driven in snow despite spending the first years in Chicago.
-- original paint - an E28 has 12 VIN stickers (inside the big bumpers, too; otherwise, 2 rear quarters, 2 rear doors, 2 front doors, 2 fenders, hood, trunk). Factory spec is between 4 and 6.5 mil (single is a bit lower than two-stage). Any body panel that has seen paint lowers a car's value.
-- hopefully the documentation shows that the car did NOT have much done to it, again, with the idea that the fewer people messing with a car, the better. The less the mods, the better. If you do mods, saving and preserving the old parts and selling them with the car is important.
-- I've probably belabored the point, but originality has a huge impact on value.
-- and most obviously, condition. It's great to have the original dash, but if it's cracked to sh*t, that really negatively impacts value. BMW leather (except black) is trash. Unless the car was leather conditioned a few times each year, and garaged, of course, the leather cracks. And I have still not found an upholsterer I trust, which means reupholstering a seat can become a $1500 or more proposition. If the seat looks like ass, that lowers value. If the seat has been recovered and it shows, that lowers value. It the seat looks like someone went to Dingolfing and stole a pair of seats from BMW's stash of seats they'll never sell the public, that raises value. :)

And, of course, photos sell a car in 2021.

The car I bought in 2010 for $5200, converted to manual (I used new factory trans), currently with 145k miles, is worth more than I paid for it. With mostly original paint, documentation, and great condition, my car has increased in value. When folks look at the car and drive it, they suggest it has doubled in value. For a 1988 528e 5mt. Doesn't matter to me. I'm keeping it until they pry it from my cold, dead hands. :D But don't forget, value is in the eyes of the buyer ALWAYS. You can ask $10k for a car all day, but if no one buys it, it's not a 10k car. But if someone does, it becomes a 10k car.

Hope this helps a bit.
Ripton

Post by Ripton »

Well. I addressed the clear coat issue. I opted to have the car repainted, it was a tough decision, because the cars original paint was in such great shape (I mean, some of it was). The trunk lid; and roof were not getting any better, and the hood was starting. I restored the plastics myself, all but one were in really great shape, but I wanted them all to have the same "new black" look, so I did them all. Happy with how they turned out.

When we get a stretch of nice weather here in the north east I will add some proper photos, but here is a few, as well as a video of of it pulling out of the shop. Sadly, right after this video I drove it home 3 hours in the rain, through NYC.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

I really think it's time to start thinking euro bumpers. But I may do a tuck in the interim.

These are the BEFORE photos, the car photographed well, but those top decks were rough.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jy6qeASQvpY1nMAo7

There seems to be a mystery box behind the grille. It runs through the fire wall. I assume an old alarm or something, but if anyone knows what it is it let me know.
L_N_Love

Post by L_N_Love »

Wow! ... 18 years after my 1st E28, two E28 M5s and now you are coming in as a noob to the E28 platform. Glad to see them still going strong.
Last edited by L_N_Love on Dec 19, 2021 1:33 PM, edited 1 time in total.
L_N_Love

Post by L_N_Love »

I'm driving E90s now