My First E28 535is

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
Ripton

My First E28 535is

Post by Ripton »

It's strange to be a newcomer to a forum, I have been lurking for a few weeks learning about the e28.

I just bought a 1988 535is. I am really surprised how quickly I have fallen in love with it. The car is one of the cleanest examples I have ever seen (I haven't seen that many). The car has been wildly well maintained, and came with a full 3 ring binder of documents. The car is absolutely immaculate, from the interior, undercarriage, engine, and trunk, everything looks incredible, not a single spot of rust.

The car came with great wheels, just not my style, so I put on some style 32's I had on my e34. I love the look, but they are a bit tall. I read that for performance 16" is preferred, I will be on the lookout for a set. I am getting some rubbing with 255s so I may see if 245s help.

The clear coat on the roof and trunk lid are failing, I am between painting the whole car, and just having the issue corrected. Before I bought the car I figured I would just correct it, but after really digging into this thing I think the right thing to do is have it painted entirely. Feedback here is appreciated.

From a performance standpoint there is nothing I have on the docket. The car is an absolute pleasure to drive. Any absolute "musts"?

Here are a few of the recent upgrades:

3.73 LSD and Mount from Turner Motorsport
Installed SuperSprint resonators and muffler
SuperSprint Header and downpipes
Hella Quartz H1 & H4 Upgrade
K&N Air Filter
H&R springs
Bilstein sport shocks and bearings installed

I am considering the euro bumper conversion, obviously. Has anyone had any experience with the kits purchased from eBay?

Here is a link to the car's service records: (It's clear the previous owner really loved this car)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Here are some initial photos:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Thanks for reading!
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Re: My First E28 535is

Post by Shawn D. »

Welcome! If you haven't already, please read and heed the Forum and Tech FAQ sections.

You can't really "correct" failing clear coat, unfortunately.

As for the wheels/tires, you really need to be more specific than saying "255" -- what are the wheel and tire specs?
Ripton

Post by Ripton »

Thanks Shawn,

Re: Clear coat, this would be taking the roof, hood, and trunk down to metal and respraying/blending. I am leaning away from this option.

Re: Wheels (this is in one of the links I posted)

Front Wheels BMW 17x8 Style 32Offset 20mm
Rear Wheels BMW 17x9 Style 32 Offset 22mm
Front Tires 225/45 ZR17 91W
Rear Tires 255/40 ZR17 94W

Thanks for the feedback!
Ibmotoren

Post by Ibmotoren »

Congratulations and welcome, she’s a beauty!
I’m not sure about the K&N, but I haven’t tried it on this car. It’s right over the exhaust manifold. I know the stock box gets warm too, but it does draw in cooler air from in front. I’ve had K&N in a previous car, and over time the oil in the filter got drawn in and gummed up the MAF’s. Something to think about.
I’ve also got bitten by the euro bumper bug. I have most of the parts for the conversion, but strangely the US diving board bumpers are growing on me. They’re totally 80’s, and how I remember the car. If you do go down that road I hope you document it here. I’ll be interested to see what you do.
Thanks for sharing!
e12euro

Post by e12euro »

Welcome and great car. :cool:

Just my view, but e28s look killer with the Euro bumpers and a front airdam/spoiler.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Lotta good junk done to the car in the last 20 years, 20,000 miles. Should be a good platform to work on and make it yours. Interesting the headers and some other stuff was recent based on mileage. Maybe trying to get one of these old fast cars, now slow compared to everything else a bit faster. With the newer steering and clutch it should be fun to drive.

Upgrades and downgrades, I guess.

Don't know if anyone has certified documentation of the performance changes with the hot air intake/K&N filter you have but many box the intake to keep exhaust heat away from the filter. Look up cold air intake, we talked about that for a decade here 15 years ago. K&N has its pros and cons, too. Check your manifold walls by the butterfly for grit that the K&N might allow into the motor to see what all the hubbub is about.

17s are a nice look but a horrible ride and poor driving dynamics on these cars. Glad to see you wanting 16s, the correct size. 205/55-16 at all corners for best performance. Steering will lighten up considerably.

The 3.73 is a cat ready to pounce, claws extended for good grip on take off. Ideally, these cars should have a 3.55 but BMW does not offer that. The stock 3.25 is a bit tall the 3.46 is pretty sweet and the 3.64 is also sweet. One a bit long the other a bit short so one needs to decide if the car is a highway cruiser or a twisties carver. But some love the 3.73 cause the car bolts when the gas is punched. First gear hasn't needed and revs are high on the freeway but some only drive twisties most of the time and enjoy the response. It's your car, you can do whatever you like but those are some comments from a few years of hanging out here.

Nice ride you have, worthy of the proper care and feeding so you get the most enjoyment from it.
Ripton

Post by Ripton »

Thank you for the thoughtful responses so far!

Tires-New tires should be here today, hopefully rubbing is gone, and these will hold me over until I find the right 16's. So far they don't feel like a "horrible ride" but I have nothing to compare it to. This is the 3rd car I have had these style 32's on, I love the look in general, but will probably go with a basketweave.

Air Filter- I read back on a lot of debate on this, seems like people get pretty excited about this :). I have fairly regular access to a dyno shop, maybe I will do a little A/B testing. In general I find the K&N air filters to be a little hokey looking, and if there is truly no performance increase I will re install it. The car does have its original airbox in the trunk, it looks new.

Rear Diff - So far I like the feel of the 3.73, (maybe helped out by the 17' wheels?) I am in CT, so it is pretty much all back road driving. I may keep an eye out for a 3.64 if that is going to be best for twisties. I spent a decade in Santa Monica, really wish I had this car out in the canyons.

Euro Bumpers - Is there an all inclusive kit I can buy that is worth it? I am comfortable converting the valance myself.

Front Strut Brace - I have had these on other cars and have noticed a difference in cornering, there is a big delta in price between manufacturers. I am considering the Racing Dynamics bar for about $275. Reading up on the forum this also looks hotly debated on the need.

Thanks again!
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

The strut brace works, no need for debate. Those that don't agree haven't had their cars as long without and then with a bar as some that know they are worthy parts.

Also why do so many cars have them stock from the factory?
alps

Post by alps »

Re: euro conversion, I'd highly recommend the blunttech.com polished stainless set. You still have tor source blinkers/fogs/cover plates and decide what to do with the front and rear valences, but these are a high quality product.

I'm nearing the end of converting my own car, will have to post some pics at some point.

Beautiful car!
Ripton

Post by Ripton »

Thanks Alps, I have used them in the past for a ton of '02 stuff. I have read a bunch of the tutorials online, but I have not found a comprehensive parts list, does one exist? It seems I can use my lower valance if I modify it and the lights, correct?
tn535i

Post by tn535i »

So if I had an e28 that nice...
the well engineered and better performing/protecting stock airbox would go back on.
I would do the bumper conversion and never look back
I would prefer a square set of tires no wider than 225 like the M5 had stock, 205 is maybe too little tire with your diff
I like the style 29 as a more modern BW but the 32 is also a winner
I would not lower it any more that it is, in fact it looks a little low in the back (maybe the fat tires), check the rake and see if it needs tweeking
You will not make this car outrun all the newer machines without extensive modifications, enjoy it for what it is and was meant to be which is what the list above returns it to.

The paint thing is the biggest dilemma with these cars. Trust me, if you let it spend much time outside the clear will fail exponentially faster than you think. I believe a total bare metal (or nearly) repaint after removing every bit of trim is the only real option if you want it to look and be right.
Ripton

Post by Ripton »

A square set of tires is on my short list, but behind euro bumpers, and paint. I think I have been convinced to put the original air filter back on.

Regarding performance, this car already has enough for me. I am not looking to make it faster than it is. On the backroads of CT, handling, style, and comfort are all more important to me. I have been down the road of trying to build a super fast BMW, it was no fun, I was not cut out for it.

Put new tires on this morning, switching from 255 width to 245 made ALL the difference, no more rubbing at all. Style 32's are heavy, clunky wheels, I just love the look soo much :). Put a few miles on them, they perform nicely for what I am doing, and I am sure will hold me over until I find the right 16's.

Thanks again for all the input so far!
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

Ripton wrote: May 09, 2021 10:21 AM Clear coat, this would be taking the roof, hood, and trunk down to metal and respraying/blending. I am leaning away from this option.
You wouldn't want to do this unless the e-coat was bad -- you almost always want to get down just to this, not all the way down to metal.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

tn535i wrote: May 12, 2021 8:50 AM
The paint thing is the biggest dilemma with these cars. Trust me, if you let it spend much time outside the clear will fail exponentially faster than you think.
Agreed.
I believe a total bare metal (or nearly) repaint after removing every bit of trim is the only real option if you want it to look and be right.
I strenuously disagree. All you have to do is get the failing part of the clear, and a little further down the side, off. Absolutely leave as much of the original paint, including primer and base, it's the perfect primer. You don't even need primer if you don't get down to metal. New paint will stick just fine to good, properly prepared, old paint. 400-500-600 paper, somewhere in there as prep and paint will fill, stick and cover fine.

Now maybe if you're looking for a Pebble Beach level concours car you might want to go down to metal, but short of a show car I don't think so.
tn535i

Post by tn535i »

The biggest problems are with base clear metallic paints. Solids can polish up nicely and I've seen e30 go from pink to red again.

Personally I would prefer the whole car. We've done a metallic and a solid color e30. And I did say nearly to bare metal and leaving some of the original factory primer is fine. However it's a good idea to get rid of the color coat since it is very thin and comes off surprising easily. Any good paint shop that stands behind their work will tell you to take it off I think, the guy who did our metallic e30 did. If you only want to focus on the 'top' half', that high belt line just below where the pin strip usually runs around our cars might be a 'safe' stopping point. Take for example my old 535, the paint is in surprising good condition below and more or less shot above 'except for the top of the fender arch. I can tell from the consistency around the car it looks ALL original and has never been repaired. So if you only do the top and the arch fails you will wish you had done the whole car.

You know back in the day if the original clear failed before x years and x miles BMW would have repainted the car under warranty. I heard of this and our first e30 was just months or maybe 1 year outside this period when it showed it's first signs of failing. It was an outdoor car and was ~10 years old at the time.

I bought my 535 maybe 10+ years ago so it was about a ~20 year old car when new to me and the paint looked great all around except for the trunk rear edge. I was told it sat in a carport in Texas most of it's life. Well the trunk edge failed first but the rest of the car failed within a couple years as I had it outdoors at work everyday.

This clear used in the 80's is not only susceptible to sun but time, and the sun works on old paint very quickly.

Another bit of advice. You might find the local paint shops where people come for supplies. Ask around for recommendations on any independent guys working out of their own home or shop. Visit and talk to them and see some of their work. This might run you far less and that is what I had done on our first e30.
Ripton

Post by Ripton »

Thanks for all the paint feedback! Giving me a lot of great direction!

I am going to put the air filter back in this week, but need to track down the correct hardware. Do you suggest anything other than the stock $9 paper filter to go in this?

Now for a loaded question. I have no plans on parting with this car in the foreseeable future. I got this car in a complicated trade, and I am sure I took a bath on it, I just fell in love with the car quickly, and wanted out of the project I was in over my head on. What is the general consensus on the value of a car like this?
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

reinstall the air filter intake tube that attaches to the back of the headlight cover. Brings in nice cool air from around the headlights. The smooth end goes on the air filter intake and the other end clips onto the cover which has a rotating ring in it to allow straight in air flow. Looks like part 7

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=13_0322
cek

Post by cek »

Lovely car. Welcome aboard.
Ripton

Post by Ripton »

That Cooold fresh air is back. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Had to make some temporary rubber spacers, but OEM units should be here soon.

Right now the stock paper filter is the unit installed. Is it worth upgrading this filter? If so, to what?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17MPbZt ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17wEj6K ... sp=sharing
tn535i

Post by tn535i »

The stock paper filter is fine. I work in filtration and could go into a lengthy discourse on surface area vs face velocity vs pore size and restriction... blah blah blah... but the bottom line is that more area and low velocity is good for filtration and allows you to have finer filter media with better particle capture and an inconsequential pressure drop for everyday driving. BMW did a good job on this.

Value is so variable and seems to be on an exponential curve up from beater to pristine and never mind the motivated seller/buyer arguement. So determining where on the 'condition' scale it starts is the really the hard part and no online tool will gauge it well. Mileage seems quite low for the age if accurate which is good. You have some paint issues and that's a big nick but I would put it closer to $10k than $5k. If you did all that you listed and fixed the paint probably closer to $20 than $10. That just my guess based on what I've seen lately. I would have gladly paid near $10 for that car if the paint were nice and the colors exactly what I wanted, maybe more. I've been loosely on the hunt for the right e28 for me but not seen anything like this in some time close enough for me to go look at.
Ripton

Post by Ripton »

Thanks for the info on the filter and feedback on value! I will likely do paint this fall, it will run about 5-6k, so I hope it's a worthwhile investment.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

It is amazing how the is is gaining in value well outside its differences between them and a bog standard 535i, especially when one can is just about any 535i except for model year and the ASAP list of options that the cars came with.

IS had seats, spoilers, shocks, maybe a steering wheel and sway bar and late models with body color mirrors. All stuff some folks have done to their E28s and if they have not replaced the shocks/struts it needs to be a very low mile unit or they are shot.

No big deal but usually a special model from BMW that appreciates way above the same albeit plebian model have some things that are actually special about them that is harder to do that operate a screwdriver and wrench.

Hopefully, this will help boost the prices of the other E28s still out there and in good condition. I know I've seen some much higher prices on well presented cars.
Ripton

Post by Ripton »

Blue Shadow wrote: May 18, 2021 7:49 PM
No big deal but usually a special model from BMW that appreciates way above the same albeit plebian model have some things that are actually special about them that is harder to do that operate a screwdriver and wrench.
I think that's a strange common thread amongst many collectable items. Even thinking about the Tii, Suspension, dashboard, and injection system, all fairly straightforward changes, but rarely have the value as a car that left the factory a Tii. I collect M1 Garands, from 1940-1956, basically the same rifle, but values swing drastically simply based on very minor differences that can be imitated easily across all rifles with a basic set of tools.
alps

Post by alps »

Ripton wrote: May 12, 2021 7:35 AM Thanks Alps, I have used them in the past for a ton of '02 stuff. I have read a bunch of the tutorials online, but I have not found a comprehensive parts list, does one exist? It seems I can use my lower valance if I modify it and the lights, correct?
Yes, you can use the lower valance if you modify it. This is what I've done (for now at least).

As for a comprehensive list, I have not seen it if it exists. The Speed Academy conversion thread is the best step by step overview that I've seen (http://speed.academy/bmw-e28-euro-bumpe ... on-part-1/), or that M5 video that was making the rounds, you've probably seen them already:

Here's a quick parts list off the top of my head, dollar amounts shown for reference only:

Blunttech euro bumper set (front and rear) - $1,713.90 last I checked including strips and brackets and shipping (I think)
- Add-on impact strips and clips
- Add-on brackets

Front bumper license plate bracket / center infill strip
- Bluntech can source these as well, there are three options I know of:
- Standard Euro - $80ish
- Diesel model Euro (slightly slimmer) - $90ish
- Italian version (slimmest) - $160ish

Front lower valance options:
- Modify existing valance, cut holes to accommodate turn signals and fog lights.
- Purchase Euro lower valance and paint/install (bolt-on) - $300++ (really not sure here)

Front turn signals (2) - $250-$300 for two (?)
- I'm having trouble with mine, you seem to either have to modify the euro turn signals or cut the wiring harness... I modified mine and have had a lot of trouble getting the plugs to fit and the lights to work correctly without cutting any sheet metal or cutting the wiring harness.

Front fog lights (2, optional) - $300ish for two (?)

Front lower filler plate (optional) options:
- fog light (short) version - $50ish on ebay
- non-fog light (long) version if fog lights are omitted - $50ish on ebay

Rear lower valance options, also three that I know of:
- Patch and paint over US mounting bracket holes.
- Purchase and weld in a Euro lower valance - $300++ (also really not sure here)
- Purchase and overlay the fiberglass valance that has been posted in the For Sale threads - $300ish IIRC
Ripton

Post by Ripton »

Alps, man, thank you, this list is awesome, it will be a big help.

I installed new hood pads, and sound insulators left and right, along with the correct hardware for the air-box. I ended up going with the racing dynamics strut tower bar, seemed relatively reasonably priced, and I have used them in the past with no issues. Looks pretty fresh under the hood now.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

There is a kink between the air-box and MAF. I have seen this in other photos, it does not seem like I can position it to stop happening, is it normal?

Thanks!