importing from Vancouver, BC into WI

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
pavulon

importing from Vancouver, BC into WI

Post by pavulon »

Was able to buy the euro 518i in the FS section. Now have to find a way to import and transport it. So far, I've been able to find one company willing to handle it for about $3500 :shock: .

Any help would be appreciated.
Blue Shadow

Re: importing from Vancouver, BC into WI

Post by Blue Shadow »

Drive it from Vancouver BC to Seattle area and get shipping without the border expenses.
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

This is the US Customs web page about importing cars to the US. Since this car is old enough. it should be pretty simple. https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import- ... orting-car

Here's a Hagerty article on specifically importing an older car from Canada that also has useful information. https://www.hagerty.com/media/archived/ ... to-the-us/
pavulon

Post by pavulon »

Am unaware of US citizens being routinely allowed into Canada at the moment.

Have found an outfit named Hansen's Transport which may offer some hope.

https://www.lhf.com/en/reliable-auto-carriers
Kenny Blankenship

Post by Kenny Blankenship »

pavulon wrote: Apr 10, 2021 10:30 AM Was able to buy the euro 518i in the FS section. Now have to find a way to import and transport it. So far, I've been able to find one company willing to handle it for about $3500 :shock: .

Any help would be appreciated.
$3,500 including paperwork to cross the border?

The below applies if you can cross borders...

I imported a car from Nova Scotia to Reno. First, the car was transported by rail from Nova Scotia to Delta (Vancouver), B.C, about $1,500 USD (might be more now due to exchange rates). The previous owner was willing to drive the car to the railway station about an hour away. I had a bill of sale and you need to fill out the DOT and EPA forms (pretty easy to do since the car is over 25 years but must be done correctly). Somehow the slave cylinder quit in the small storage yard, so after about $1,000 CAD in repairs at a local BMW dealership (a nice 1982 733i draws a lot of attention, even the owner of the dealership!), you go to the border (I went through Blaine, WA) they will take your forms, inspect your vehicle and then you pay your fees (in my case, about $240, based on the "value" of my car which was $8,000). You will receive the CBP Form 7501 completed and stamped (the stamp is important). Nevada required all the paperwork above for me to register in my state. I also had to do a Canadian lien search, a common practice, there are companies that do that for $25.

I'm not sure all Border Stations will allow you to import, you will have to check on that. Interestingly, the Blaine border station did not care about the DOT and EPA paperwork, only the bill of sale and "pink slip" docs if applicable (the latter varies by Canadian province). I have heard the experience varies by station so have all your paperwork correctly filled out.

I ended up paying probably less than $2,500 USD for everything (not including the $750 for the repairs but including gas and hotels for the 3 day trip to Vancouver). I was being quoted about $5k USD by import brokers. The fees for importing the car to the US are very low, it's the transportation costs that drive up the price. If you can figure a way to save money in transport (look at rail) driving across the border is relatively painless.

Another note, the exchange rate at the time I imported the car was $0.75-77 USD to 1 Canadian Dollar.

Potentially, the ideal way to go is to transport the car by rail (probably starting in Delta, B.C.) to near a border station in Wisconsin and bring the car across yourself. Or, to fly to Vancouver, bring the car over through Blaine, WA, and have the car transported from Seattle to your home. All depends upon the transportation costs.
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

Would the seller be willing to hold the car for you until the border opens up, assuming that will happen in the next few months?
e12euro

Post by e12euro »

There's a nice 12,000 mile long term test of a 1985 e28 518i here:

e28 518i Autocar magazine

Use the right button to go through the pages. :cool: