Fuzzy door trim options

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
Jasco1

Fuzzy door trim options

Post by Jasco1 »

I recently purchased an E28 after being a longtime lurker on this wonderful board. Apparently, the previous owner thought it would be a good idea to use spray foam to keep the fuzzy door trim piece together after it started separating. I found this as a replacement option: https://gummi-metall-puffer-shop.de/kan ... ours-wolle.

Unfortunately, they will not ship to the USA? Does anyone know of an alternative? Or is there someone across the pond that would accept my shipment and charge me a fee to ship to the States?

Jason
John in VA

Re: Fuzzy door trim options

Post by John in VA »

They probably used Gorilla glue. If you're going to get the wrong stuff at least get it from the states: https://www.steelerubber.com/

The fuzzy outer cloth comes free from the rubbery part. Some have been able to glue it back; other peel it off for the smooth look. I thought it was back in production for several hundred dollars per door - it's been discussed here. Left front & right rear are the same part. Right front & left rear are the same part.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

They may have more than one, they do have a variety of products, but the Gorilla glue I've seen is Polyurethane, which is an expanding glue, not what you'd want.
Jasco1

Post by Jasco1 »

Thanks for the replies. And yes, on second look the goop all over the trim probably is gorilla glue. It would be fine if they had cleaned it up before it dried. I’m going to measure the old stuff today and purchase the “wrong stuff” as John from VA called it. There’s no way I’m spending $400 on the original trim when there are good alternatives. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll buy from Pelican, Turner, Fcp for most everything else but I consider this refresh project more cosmetic in nature.
cek

Post by cek »

Contact Ivo (ovide). He can get the good stuff.
Jasco1

Post by Jasco1 »

Thank you Cek!