Woo Hoo, I just got shot! 11-9, Update, Booster!

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
BMWCCA2

Re: Woo Hoo, I just got shot! 11-9, Update, Booster!

Post by BMWCCA2 »

Got my Moderna booster two-weeks ago at a state health department vaccination facility set up in a vacant store front in a fairly vacant shopping center. They added it to my card and here in Virginia I can download a record of all of my Covid vaccinations to put in my Apple Wallet on my phone complete with some QRL code that can be scanned if necessary. I don't recall anyone ever asking me for insurance information at any of my three appointments. I feel better now since at least three of my co-workers in the same room use the Aaron Rodgers "immunization" protocol.

For good measure, I also got my Flu vaccine—the double-dose version for those of us whose first BMW had round taillights back when they were new cars. And my Pneumonia vaccine. Even a Shingrix vaccine in recent memory. Never a single side-effect from any of them. Take advantage of Science!
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Some states seemed to have enabled them quicker than here in Calif, I booked pretty much as soon as I could.

Insurance wasn't required, but they asked so I helped. No inquires at all on the first two. I was able to get a QR code after my second, we'll see now after my third, it's from an entirely different organization. I hadn't heard about a double dose of the flu vaccine, but I don't pay a lot of attention to it. A few years ago my then doc, a good one whom I liked and respected, suggested flu and shingles vaccine. I declined, he let the flu go but put a hard sell in on the shingles, so I went for it. My wife had shingles some time ago now and while not life threatening or anything, was very painful and no joke.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

The 'new BMW with round taillight' crowd should be getting the boosted, my doc said about 25% more, flu shot which stuck me last week. Got it with some other jab I needed but was told to give the flu a couple weeks before the pandemic boost.

I sure am glad we have much smaller needles. Shots don't hurt at all anymore. Not like when I was a kid and got a Popsicle bribe for getting a jab.
jyl

Post by jyl »

Wife and I got booster shots last weekend. Pretty painless in all respects: made appointment online, from arrival to getting the shot took about seven minutes, no charge and didn’t even ask for my insurance. My state has greatly improved the vaccination process from the bungling of early this year, when my neighborhood was organizing young tech savvy folks to help older folks navigate the byzantine online signup process.
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

After spending the last two months going back and forth between the ICU and the Covid ward, yesterday my first cousin became a statistic and succumbed to the virus. He had been fully vaccinated, but had a compromised immune system due to an organ transplant some years ago. He caught it from an antivaxxer, who despite being positive for the virus decided he could still attend a business meeting and sit next to my cousin.

I have zero sympathy for people who feel their 'personal rights' are being threatened. Either get the shots, or respect everyone else's personal rights and go live in a cave out in the woods someplace.
garageboy

Post by garageboy »

Very sorry to hear of this senseless, avoidable loss. :cry:

I agree 100% with your sentiment. Let them live without "tyranny" far, far away from the rest of us.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Sorry to hear about your cousin.

Impossible to really prove, but sounds like murder or at least manslaughter to me. Wonder if the denier will have any remorse or not.

Again, sorry for your loss.
jyl

Post by jyl »

@stuart, I'm sorry, and angry. So many more have died than should have, and I have friends who "recovered" but continue to struggle with long-lasting problems, some pretty serious and/or debilitating.
Kenny Blankenship

Post by Kenny Blankenship »

stuartinmn wrote: Nov 10, 2021 10:19 PM After spending the last two months going back and forth between the ICU and the Covid ward, yesterday my first cousin became a statistic and succumbed to the virus. He had been fully vaccinated, but had a compromised immune system due to an organ transplant some years ago. He caught it from an antivaxxer, who despite being positive for the virus decided he could still attend a business meeting and sit next to my cousin.

I have zero sympathy for people who feel their 'personal rights' are being threatened. Either get the shots, or respect everyone else's personal rights and go live in a cave out in the woods someplace.
I wonder if the antivaxxer can be sued...that's pretty irresponsible.

I'm waiting until the end of the year to get my booster (about 8 months out). Going to get the flu shot first.
a

Post by a »

Stuart, I'm sorry for your loss. We're all Pfizer boosted. My 9 yr old grandson got his first shot Monday. His 7yr old ,immune compromised brother is scheduled to have his shots in the pediatric ward of a hospital. in Boston. They have been home schooled with on line tutoring since 4/20 while my daughter works from home.
glowell222

Post by glowell222 »

If we need a "booster" every 3 months, I can no longer consider these to be vaccines. It's a medical treatment. In contrast, in September I had a tetanus vaccination-good for another 10 years or so.
1st 5er

Re: Woo Hoo, I just got shot!

Post by 1st 5er »

Dale3783 wrote: Mar 03, 2021 12:08 PM
JohnH wrote: Mar 02, 2021 10:12 PM
Mike W. wrote: Mar 02, 2021 3:54 PM Now in just another 6 weeks I can really start doing things again. :banana:

No you cant, you can still be a carrier. You need to wait until everyone else has been vaccinated and they are safe.
That isn't true. I read a study about it yesterday. You shed no virus after the second shot
This still TRUE?
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

1st 5er wrote: Dec 06, 2021 8:05 PM
Dale3783 wrote: Mar 03, 2021 12:08 PM
JohnH wrote: Mar 02, 2021 10:12 PM
Mike W. wrote: Mar 02, 2021 3:54 PM Now in just another 6 weeks I can really start doing things again. :banana:

No you cant, you can still be a carrier. You need to wait until everyone else has been vaccinated and they are safe.
That isn't true. I read a study about it yesterday. You shed no virus after the second shot
This still TRUE?
I'm not an epidemiologist, nor do I play one on TV, but not from what I've heard. The vaccine greatly diminishes the likelihood of contacting it in the first place and severe illness if you do become infected, but if you are infected, you can shed virus and infect others.
Kenny Blankenship

Mike W. wrote: Dec 07, 2021 2:21 AM I'm not an epidemiologist, nor do I play one on TV, but not from what I've heard. The vaccine greatly diminishes the likelihood of contacting it in the first place and severe illness if you do become infected, but if you are infected, you can shed virus and infect others.
But you stayed at a Holiday Inn?
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Kenny Blankenship wrote: Dec 07, 2021 10:51 PM
Mike W. wrote: Dec 07, 2021 2:21 AM I'm not an epidemiologist, nor do I play one on TV, but not from what I've heard. The vaccine greatly diminishes the likelihood of contacting it in the first place and severe illness if you do become infected, but if you are infected, you can shed virus and infect others.
But you stayed at a Holiday Inn?
Yes and I even resisted the temptation to trash it like so many rock stars did way back when. :laugh:
Kenny Blankenship

Boosted! Decided to get it done now since we will be traveling the end of this month. I'm going to nap now...😴
Nanajoth

Post by Nanajoth »

I'm not "technically" allowed to get a booster but I have a very good MD friend that allowed me to skip the line. I work around so many anti vax that I need to be protected from their increased risk of infecting others. Enough is enough.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

DUM dun DUN dun... cue the theme to Jaws. Woman up the street came down with it, after she's spent some time with a neighbor of ours who we also see regularly. Mild illness, everyone vaccinated, no symptoms next door yet, a week and a half after exposure, I'm crossing my fingers. But why do I feel like it's gunning for me.

DUN dun DUN dun...

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you. Or in this case it.
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

pretty damn funny that Jim Cramer, the stock guy on TV, comes out and endorses forced vaccinations for everyone, says he's vaccinated and boosted, and now has COVID
garageboy

Post by garageboy »

gwb72tii wrote: Dec 21, 2021 1:09 PM pretty damn funny that Jim Cramer, the stock guy on TV, comes out and endorses forced vaccinations for everyone, says he's vaccinated and boosted, and now has COVID
I have always thought of Jim Cramer as the stock fraud on TV... and most definitively after the collapse of 2008. Did he say something? Whatever...
jyl

Post by jyl »

Vaccinated people, even vaxed + boosted, can still get the latest Omicron variant - but they mostly avoid severe disease, because the immune response primed by the vaccine stops the virus before it gets too far. Much better to get Omicron as a vaccinated person than as an unvaccinated person.
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

Yes and according to our esteemed Commander in Chief we all MUST be vaxed to protect those that are already vaxed

it now looks like more vaxed are getting omicron than unvaxed
garageboy

Post by garageboy »

gwb72tii wrote: Jan 04, 2022 11:36 PM Yes and according to our esteemed Commander in Chief we all MUST be vaxed to protect those that are already vaxed

it now looks like more vaxed are getting omicron than unvaxed
With all due respect, as testing is increasing, you're seeing more vaccinated people testing positive, because the vaccinated are the ones most concerned, so they are getting tested more now as testing becomes available. The unvaccinated, as most don't understand the science and resist getting vaccinated, do not test unless they end up in the hospital. So unless EVERYONE -- or a representative cross-section of society -- is testing on a regular basis, there is not adequate data to make the "more vaxed are getting omicron than unvaxed" claim. That's just arithmetic.