Shipping Cross Country?

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
ColinH

Shipping Cross Country?

Post by ColinH »

Hi All,

I'm looking to ship my 88' 528"i" from San Diego, CA to North Carolina. Reason being is I'll be out of the country for a while and my only option offers a "vehicle storage" which is no more than a dusty patch in the middle of the desert for my car to sun-rot. Just trying to get the car to my enthusiast family members who can take care of it while I'm gone.
Just wondering if there's anyone here who might have a safe and cost-efficient connection for vehicle shipment.

Cheers,
-Colin
Mike W.

Re: Shipping Cross Country?

Post by Mike W. »

Ouch, that's between a rock and a hard place. Given that it's going to be at least a thou, if not $1500-2K to ship it just one way, have you considered something like a car cover? Maybe even two, one on top of the other since IMO it's mostly the UV not the heat that kills the soft parts? Or a UV resistant tarp in between? Or make a road trip and drive it, but that's not really a good option in this Covid-19 era.

There have been some good threads on shipping cars that I can't recall the details of at the moment, search and you might find more.
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

Bill's Auto Works gets good ratings on several web boards. Here's his information from the Pontiac forum: https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/fo ... p?t=786352

----

Hello Everyone,
I am a single car transporter out of Northern Ohio. Many of you have already used my service in the past, for those who have not:

My open trailer is an aluminum Featherlite single car trailer w/ a large air dam on the front to prevent stone chips

My enclosed trailer is an Ameri-Lite aluminum single car trailer. This is an actual vehicle trailer with a dove tail rear & drive in rear door. Low vehicles are not a problem. I do not pile up a bunch of ramps & boards on the back of a cargo trailer & hope they don't fall off! This trailer is fully customized inside & out with electricity, compressed air & racedeck flooring. I do not pile a bunch of oily, rusty parts around your vehicle.

Both trailers have electric winches to load non running vehicles. They must roll on inflated tires & the brakes cannot be locked up ( I do not want to scratch my trailers)

I have close to 3 million accident-free transport miles over the last 30+ years & my resume includes:
SEMA, BARRETT JACKSON, AUTORAMAS & TRADE SHOWS. I have also transported for customers in 10 foreign countries

I offer QUALITY Transport....There is a difference! I am an actual car guy, What I know about cars, I didn't learn from reading the forums I advertise on & I actually own classics, hot rods & race cars

I offer true door to door service, I do not take deposits, I believe a mans word is his bond, cash on delivery only & your vehicle is never left unattended during its journey.

The price I quote is the price you pay & NEVER is there a charge for unloaded miles. Logistics is part of a transporters job.

Please see this link for many pictures & hundreds of actual references from other car guys who have used my service in the past
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thr ... ed.614419/

I will from time to time post a transport spot I have open.

Please feel free to call, email or P.M. for a price quote. I am always booked well in advance, but am always available to quote, advise or just B.S.

Thank You
Bill Squires (owner)
Bill's Auto Works
(419)929-8048 shop
(216)832-8697 cell No Texts
billsautoworks1@aol.com
travisj

Post by travisj »

Just for recent reference, I just shipped an E90 from Virginia to Colorado and it cost $975. I just used a broker to arrange a random open carrier. The car showed up filthy as expected seeing that it traveled through snow and salt, but no additional damage. I don't think I would go this route with a decent E28 though. From the horror stories that I have read online, there is just too much risk for damage. There also doesn't seem to be much reliability going through a broker and central dispatch. I did get lucky on timing though. There happened to be a truck near Virginia already coming out this way. I would drive an E28 out across country. Just stick to a southern route this time of year.
cek

Post by cek »

I shipped Minerva from Bellevue, WA to Sandy, UT on Intercity Lines, enclosed, for $1300.

Previously, I used bidding sites and was disappointed in the service and quality of the drivers. The cost was always within spitting distance of $1000. I've never had damage but always felt like I was on the edge. This time I could tell the carrier took great care. E.g. the driver put interior protection in...

Will use them again.
Cactus

Post by Cactus »

I bet it'd be cheaper to drive it out and fly yourself home. It's a pretty big time commitment though.

All my recommendations are east coast based, so I'm not going to be much help.
travisj

Post by travisj »

Charlie, that seems quite reasonable for the service.
Driving and flying will likely always be cheaper. I was literally a minute from booking a flight when the broker called me to tell me a truck was in the area to pickup. I had the flight up on my computer screen. I could have saved about $300, but the time involved and my lack of E90 knowledge and reliability made the decision for me. I know what could stop me in an E28, but I don't know about all that computer and limp mode crap on an E90.
Cactus

Post by Cactus »

You could have stopped at my house if you broke down in Ohio. I've got a bit of e90 knowledge (enough to know I don't want another one.)
cek

Post by cek »

Cactus wrote: Dec 21, 2020 11:18 AM I bet it'd be cheaper to drive it out and fly yourself home. It's a pretty big time commitment though.
Yes, it would have been far cheaper to drive/fly.

However, my paint protection guy is in Utah, the car is not yet properly titled (Utah's processes are simple compared to WA), and the car only has 400 miles on it (driving 1200 miles on an unsorted car is not my idea of fun).
Cactus

Post by Cactus »

I meant that in response to the op. I've shipped a few cars, there's plenty of reasons why you'd not want to drive. First time I've heard of somebody wanting to ship from one coast to the other for storage though. I'm sure there's climate controlled storage somewhere near him.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Cactus wrote: Dec 21, 2020 3:02 PM I meant that in response to the op. I've shipped a few cars, there's plenty of reasons why you'd not want to drive. First time I've heard of somebody wanting to ship from one coast to the other for storage though. I'm sure there's climate controlled storage somewhere near him.
I don't think you'd need climate controlled as long as it's indoors and out of the sun. eg the famed barn finds that are far from climate controlled.

One FWIW, I've heard (although it didn't appear to be the case with Charlie's, the car must be empty, you can't load it up with parts and use it as a shipping container of sorts. No experience, just something I've heard.
ColinH

Post by ColinH »

Thanks to all for your input!
Holidays have been rather busy so apologies for not getting back sooner.

I am still on the fence for vehicle shipment versus vehicle storage.

Out of curiosity, if I were to run out of options and have to pull the trigger on the aforementioned outdoor desert option, how much "protection" would be absolutely necessary? For example, car cover, sun shade, etc.?
ColinH

Post by ColinH »

Good Evening All!
Thank you to everyone who has brought forth input and their own personal experiences.
I hope everyone has had a great Christmas (or whatever other holidays you may celebrate)!
Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner!

Boy, was I wrong! I have heard from personal accounts, that a car may be shipped coast-to-coast for as little as $600, but hearing from everyone here, it seems that there is definitely an uncharge when it comes to who actually wants to take care of the vehicle in shipment.

It seems that long term storage is going to have to be the way to go! I have been told by my local "guide" at La Jolla BMW Independent, that there is a company called AAAA Auto Storage which handles many cases like mine. However depending on price point and options available, I may just have to make due with the aforementioned "Stock Sunny Storage" for six months.
Mike W. wrote: Dec 20, 2020 11:15 PM Ouch, that's between a rock and a hard place. Given that it's going to be at least a thou, if not $1500-2K to ship it just one way, have you considered something like a car cover? Maybe even two, one on top of the other since IMO it's mostly the UV not the heat that kills the soft parts? Or a UV resistant tarp in between? Or make a road trip and drive it, but that's not really a good option in this Covid-19 era.

There have been some good threads on shipping cars that I can't recall the details of at the moment, search and you might find more.
Now I am considering a car cover, even if it is for a one time, six-ish month use.
What all else would be necessary to ensure the car is somewhat protected in the summertime elements here? It rarely rains but I would expect morning dew/moisture buildup inevitably starting some rust? That is what recently killed my rear muffler Anyway.
I'm not quite sure.

Cheers!
-Colin
ColinH

Post by ColinH »

(deleted repost)
Last edited by ColinH on Jan 02, 2021 8:47 PM, edited 1 time in total.
ColinH

Post by ColinH »

(deleted repost)
Last edited by ColinH on Jan 02, 2021 8:46 PM, edited 1 time in total.
ColinH

Post by ColinH »

(deleted repost)
Last edited by ColinH on Jan 02, 2021 8:46 PM, edited 1 time in total.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

I would say it depends on how close you are to the ocean/bay. Further inland and you get into much drier micro-climates which down there will be hotter, and less coastal fog. Obviously if you're right on the ocean, you have to deal with salt, that will be your enemy more than damp air (San Diego is pretty dry despite it's proximity to the ocean).
In SoCal, heat, sun and relatively low humidity are the forces to contend with in regards to car protection. If you want maximum protection in terms of a cover, your outer layer needs to be something like a Sunbrella product which is designed for maximum sun and UV exposure. I have a Weathershield HD from Covercraft which, while not being a Sunbrella material, has held up a long time in the SoCal exposure. It's lightweight and kind of thin considering but has superior protection versus lesser priced covers and dries quickly. See here for more info: https://www.covercraft.com/us/en/produc ... ver.C-CCHD

If you're storing it outside, make sure you lash and secure the cover because we do get strong winds occasionally. A loose cover will whip itself against the paint and may fly off; either one is bad. Chose a fitted cover (i.e. has side view mirror pockets) as it will stay on the car better. You will want to also shade all the windows to keep the heat gain down to a minimum. If the car isn't moving for a while, consider tire covers also to keep them from drying out in the sun (either some fitted vinyl or canvas or even a piece of plywood). Before storing, be sure to treat all the rubber (trim & seals) and vinyl copiously inside and out (be sure the exterior is thoroughly dry so it doesn't collect dust). Then be sure to cleanse and wax the paint thoroughly as well.

As with most things in life, you get what you pay for: if you want superior protection from a car cover, be willing to spend the money for a good one. Otherwise you will be buying new ones as they shred and disintegrate many, many times. However, if it's only 6 months, use your judgement.
Last edited by vinceg101 on Dec 29, 2020 3:09 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Ricky535

Post by Ricky535 »

If you're in the Navy. MWR San Diego has a secure storage lot, it's by gate 40A. You can put a secure car cover. Secure meaning held by cables. The lot is fenced.
dewmiwasana

Post by dewmiwasana »

So, here's the scoop – I've got my '88 528i soaking up the California sun in San Diego, and I'm off to explore foreign lands for a while.
dewmiwasana

Post by dewmiwasana »

I'm also thinking of shipping her over to my car-loving family in North Carolina who promised to pamper her like royalty. Now, the challenge is finding a safe and cost-efficient way to make this cross-country journey happen.

I've been eyeing https://www.a1autotransport.com/new-yor ... -shipping/ for their good rep in the shipping game. Anyone here got some pro tips or connections to ensure my '88 528i has a smooth ride to the East Coast? Let's keep the vintage vibes rolling!
Last edited by dewmiwasana on Feb 19, 2024 3:58 AM, edited 1 time in total.
dsw99a

Post by dsw99a »

Pay one of these knowledgeable and willing members to drive the car where you want it.
pay for gas and any unforseen problems and pay half fare back to his/her home.
plane,train,automobile. if i were on continent , id consider it :roll: