How often do you REALLY flush your brakes?

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
craigb93

Re: How often do you REALLY flush your brakes?

Post by craigb93 »

My cars probably fall into the 3-5 yr flush category.
That said, no one mentioned using DOT 4 LMA fluid (Low Moisture Absorption). The price is close to DOT3 just harder to find. When I find it I get 6-8 quarts. Not a question about shelf life if unopened. Atlanta is in the middle for moisture for me. The better shops in the area use the DOT4 as their 'standard'.
-Dick
tn535i

Post by tn535i »

Cars that get driven regularly usually about 2 years, otherwise like my M6 or our e30 project maybe 3-5.

I use DOT 4 and I think it's LMA...
Laugh every time at those who waste money on the pressure bleeders
I first suction fluid from the reservoir and refill with clean so I don't send old down the lines
A hose into a jug works great, I like used washer fluid as they are sturdy
I stuff one end of the hose down into the handle so it stays put, add fluid from vacuum so it doesn't tip over
This will gravity bleed your brakes if you just open the bleed screw but I pump the pedal to hurry it along
Usually do this when rotating tires and it's 30 min extra work/time
Bang on the calipers with a hammer or heavy wrench to dislodge any air bubbles that might get stuck
Always ensure a dust cap goes back on
Usually no more than a few drop to clean up

I've been told here it's OK to recycle brake fluid with used oil so that's what I've done at times but recently saving the brake fluid in those washer fluid jugs. It should be recycled properly.
adawil2002

Post by adawil2002 »

Every other year like clockwork. I do not do it myself, I let trusted shops do the fluid flush & the disposal fee is minimal. I'm happy to pay for the service.
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

Every time I replace the master and slave cylinders.

That means once in the past 35 years, at the 20 year mark. So, my next brake flush is due sometime around 2026.
tn535i

Post by tn535i »

I've found that if I do them somewhat regularly I do NOT notice any improvement in the pedal. Whenever I have worked on a car that was really neglected I notice an immediate improvement in the way the pedal feels. Same for the clutch hydraulics.

Some of you may get by with NEVER bleeding your brakes and only touch them when you use the pedal to stop. I don't want my cars to develop a mushy pedal over time and potentially have fluid boil and loose pedal if I find myself in an extreme situation. So I bleed my brakes.
garageboy

Post by garageboy »

Mike W. wrote: Jan 21, 2021 12:39 PM
garageboy wrote: Jan 21, 2021 3:16 AM One thing I am certain of, that others here have mentioned, there is no question that the brakes perform noticeably better after I've bled AND flushed them,
Really? That noticeable?
When I lived in New England and was driving many miles four seasons and had dirt and water and air in the brake fluid, yes, fresh fluid made a difference. My first E28 didn't have ABS and I was learning to threshold brake on the track with that car, so yeah, I could perceive a difference after replacing the fluids. I guess if I let too much time go between flush/bleeds, that may have been contributory. :)