Anything better than Rain X? Update at end

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
Mike W.

Anything better than Rain X? Update at end

Post by Mike W. »

I know not everyone is, but I'm a huge fan of Rain X. Fine if you don't like it, but don't bother to tell me why you don't like it or it's bad. Been using it for years and I hardly use the wipers at all.

But time for another purchase and I'm wondering if the alternatives are as good or better. I'm seeing Stoner Invisible Glass Cleaner, Aquapel and some others that are more than this cheapskate is going to spring for.
Last edited by Mike W. on Mar 30, 2023 12:16 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Dale3783

Re: Anything better than Rain X?

Post by Dale3783 »

I use Griot's 3-1 ceramic spray as a drying agent on glass, trim, everything. Lightly spray the whole car then dry with a microfiber towel and you'll never need your wipers again.
austin8753

Post by austin8753 »

i use Griot's glass sealant on everything glass related. my inner demons love watching the water bead up. it's very pleasing.
travisj

Post by travisj »

Rain X sucks, maybe it's great, but I'm not going to tell you why either way...
Last edited by travisj on Dec 10, 2020 8:15 PM, edited 1 time in total.
John in VA

Post by John in VA »

Some rave about Aquapel, but I was disappointed that it didn't last very long vs. cost/ease of Rain-X. I've been using it for >40 years.
http://www.aquapel.com/
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

Stoner's Invisible Glass is a great cleaner, but I haven't found that its got any obvious water repellent features.
Cactus

Post by Cactus »

gadget73 wrote: Dec 11, 2020 8:44 AM Stoner's Invisible Glass is a great cleaner, but I haven't found that its got any obvious water repellent features.
It's mostly just isopropyl in a spray can.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Stoner's IG is 80% water or more and up to 20% hydrocarbon blend so maybe some IPA and other things. Per the MSDS.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Blue Shadow wrote: Dec 11, 2020 10:47 PM Stoner's IG is 80% water or more and up to 20% hydrocarbon blend so maybe some IPA and other things. Per the MSDS.
I like pilsner, I like lager, I like red ale, I like porter, stout, you get the message. But I'm not a fan of IPA. So I guess I'll pass on Stoners. :D
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Mike W. wrote: Dec 12, 2020 12:08 AM So I guess I'll pass on Stoners. :D
A nice lager for me.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Blue Shadow wrote: Dec 12, 2020 5:42 AM
Mike W. wrote: Dec 12, 2020 12:08 AM So I guess I'll pass on Stoners. :D
A nice lager for me.
I'm a heavy, dark ale kind of guy myself. Something like an 80 or 90.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

My friend gadget73 says he likes a nice, chewy beer and enjoys some serious stouts. When we have audio get togethers he is always good for an interesting 6-pack. A nice, chewy beer!
Mike W.

Re: Anything better than Rain X? Update at end

Post by Mike W. »

All this dark beer talk is sounding good, but I came to talk about Rain X

I gave Griots a try, it got good reviews, I gave it a serious effort, they say to clean the windshield well, I took Polish to it, which is an ultra fine abrasive. I cleaned the shit out of it. Applied Griots. Bam, nothing. Well, maybe a little nicer wipe than nothing, but not much. I reapplied. Same. I felt like a dumped half a f'ing bottle on, and nothing. Now it does no harm, but little if any good either.

Used up what little Rain X I've got left and wow, what a difference. I'm sure it won't last long, but longer than no good at all is still ok. Water is just running off again as long as I'm moving fast enough.

YMMV, but Rain X is still the winner for me and Griots did nothing.
gadget73

Re: Anything better than Rain X? Update at end

Post by gadget73 »

One thing I've found that RainX just doesn't seem to work well on is the back window of the cap on my truck. I think it needs some airflow to function. No wiper back there, so rain hits it and just sticks.

Works well on the front glass though. I'm using the "classic" version, the stuff thats just RainX in the bottle that you apply after cleaning the glass. I've not had a lot of luck with the cleaner + RainX combo stuff.