USPS Priority Box Exchange 2020 ?

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
funfunfer

USPS Priority Box Exchange 2020 ?

Post by funfunfer »

This message is to gauge interest in reviving the Holiday Box Exchange for this most unusual year.
For those who've not participated in the past the broad outline is that each person is assigned to send ANYTHING they like to their assigned recipient.
Good taste and utility are not mandatory, but remember that deep dark fetishes are probably off the table. The goal is to have the box arrive prior to Christmas and to provide a (usually) car/E28 related surprise to another MyE28er. The one constraint is that what you send must fit in a USPS Medium Size prepaid box. The cost to ship is reasonable and many imaginative, unique, and useful items have changed hands in the past.

I can handle the lists and reminders, or defer to someone else who may have a strong interest.
If you're interested in participating or driving the process, let me know.
Looking forward to re-engaging after a year in which Covid altered so many planned events.
Jim Moffitt
Montgomery, TX
Bonsaibacker

Re: USPS Priority Box Exchange 2020 ?

Post by Bonsaibacker »

Interested in participating.
Eric.
vandiesel

Post by vandiesel »

in
south26

Post by south26 »

in

Andy
funfunfer

Post by funfunfer »

OK. I'll go ahead with getting this pulled together in anticipation f others joining in. Watch this space for more details.
davintosh

Post by davintosh »

Count me in!

As the former curator (enabler?) of this tradition, it would be bad form to not join in. :cool:
funfunfer

Re: USPS Priority Box Exchange 2020

Post by funfunfer »

Last Update Dec 7 2020 2:30 PM CST

Operating on the theory that what is old is new again, I've stolen the USPS Priority Exchange - Santa Edition - instructions and made modifications to them for 2020-The Covid 19 Edition.

For those who might be new to the game and are asking, "What is a Priority Box Exchange?" it's a time honored tradition on My E28.com that involves faith, generosity, and chance. In a nutshell, if you're like most of us you've no doubt collected stuff around the house & garage that you think, "this is pretty cool, but I know I'll never use it," and about which your wife/SO asks you, "Why do you keep that?" Consider this your opportunity to send that cool stuff on to a deserving someone else (provided that stuff will fit into a US Postal Service Priority Mail Medium Flat Rate Box, so no transmissions, engine blocks, valve heads, wheels, etc...)

Since this is another Santa Edition exchange, when you receive your package, DON'T OPEN IT RIGHT AWAY! KEEP IT SEALED UNTIL DECEMBER 24th or25th! Yeah, I know there are plenty of entries on Santa's Naughty List around here, but let's try to be good little boys (girls are welcome to play too!) and save the opening until Christmas, OK? Once you open it, be sure to post a comment to tell us what you got; photos speak volumes!

Here is the schedule...
November 30 (Monday after Thanksgiving) -- Registration Opens
December 9 -- Registration Closes
December 16 -- Deadline For Mailing Boxes
December 24 -- Christmas Eve - Open Your Box!

Instructions:
First: Post a reply in this thread stating your willingness to be part of the exchange: send me a PM with your mailing address info, your preferences regarding X-rated content, and whether you're okay with shipping a box overseas. After registration closes on 12/9, I'll shake things up & send you the mailing address of another member who is playing along. I will also update this post with a list of the names of the players as they come in.

WARNING:
If you sign up and don't send off a box, you will be suffer from a guilty conscience, hives and gout (and I know about gout). People have been stiffed in past exchanges; broken hearts on Christmas Day make Santa sad, so deadbeats need not apply!

Second: Go to your local post office and pick up a Medium Flat Rate Box (Size: 13 5/8" x 11 7/8" x 3 3/8" https://store.usps.com/store/product/sh ... 2-P_O_FRB2 or 11" x 8 1/2" x 5 1/2" https://store.usps.com/store/product/sh ... -1-P_EMBOX1 you may also order the box on-line from USPS. The cost to ship the MFRB domestically is $15.05.higher than last year.) Shipping outside the US is a bit higher -- International Rate: $81.75 to The Vatican; we'll play it by ear if anybody from outside the borders of the US signs up. Military members serving overseas have APO/FPO addresses, and Priority Mail gets the same rate to those addresses (but there are a few additional stipulations to what can be in the boxes, and word has it that the contents are checked for compliance.)

Third: Fill your box with some of the super-awesomely cool (or geeky or weird or strange) stuff lying around the house or garage that you no longer need. Try to make it something you would want to receive, ie: no junk. Think Golden Rule.

Some ideas if you need inspiration:
Magazines
Tools
Stickers
Posters
Books
Old jewelry
Car/BMW themed items
Toys
... the list could go on and on, but you get the idea.

Fourth: Ship the box. You have until December 16 to pack and ship your box to the person assigned to you. The Priority Mail boxes typically take two days to make it to their destination, but it doesn't hurt to give it some extra time. If anything comes up that prevents you from getting it mailed by then, let me know; we don't want anybody to get stiffed and be sad on Christmas Day.

Fifth: Come back to this thread and post that your box is on its way.

Sixth: Wait... For your box of goodies to arrive, then wait again until December 24 to open it. It'll be just like Christmas! (oh, wait...) I suppose Christmas Day would work too, but I am weak and incapable of waiting until Christmas morning.
Also, if the box contains certain, um... items that would be better revealed away from the eyes of spousal units or any juvenile offspring, mark the box as PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL in order to be discrete about it. Nobody needs that kind of surprise!

Ok then... Let's do this. Who's in?

The list of players:

Funfunfer
davintosh
south26
vandiesel
Bonsaibacker
Cactus
Gary Collins
BillW in StL
amagansa
Dale3783

as of December 7 2:30 pm CST
Last edited by funfunfer on Dec 07, 2020 4:31 PM, edited 3 times in total.
Cactus

Post by Cactus »

I'll play.
funfunfer

Post by funfunfer »

Cactus, welcome aboard. The more, the merrier.
Gary Collins

Post by Gary Collins »

I'm in ....
BillW in StL

Post by BillW in StL »

I am in. Boy do I have cool stuff.
Dale3783

Post by Dale3783 »

In
amagansa

Post by amagansa »

I'm in
Gary Collins

Post by Gary Collins »

My box is on the way ...!
funfunfer

Post by funfunfer »

My box is on its way
funfunfer

Post by funfunfer »

Time flies when you're having fun!

December 16 -- Deadline For Mailing Boxes

Today's the day to get those boxes to the USPS.
Cactus

Post by Cactus »

I'm late. I know I'm a delinquent. I'll get it out tomorrow. Work is bending me over mercilessly this week.
Bonsaibacker

Post by Bonsaibacker »

Label printed. Dropping off tomorrow.
amagansa

Post by amagansa »

Package is on the way!
vandiesel

Post by vandiesel »

Cactus wrote: Dec 16, 2020 1:13 PM I'm late. I know I'm a delinquent. I'll get it out tomorrow. Work is bending me over mercilessly this week.
Same... Mine is out tomorrow.
Dale3783

Post by Dale3783 »

One day late, but its on its way!!
vandiesel

Post by vandiesel »

Shipped today.
Bonsaibacker

Post by Bonsaibacker »

Mine went out today as well. Exciting!
davintosh

Post by davintosh »

Mine is on the road...technically didn't get into the system until after the last pickup yesterday, but... It's got some good stuff in it though!
Cactus

Post by Cactus »

Mine's in the mail. Should get there Monday, which is cool, because it's going pretty far.