Garaging a car over winter?

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
Zeta

Garaging a car over winter?

Post by Zeta »

When I lived in Texas, I drove my e28 year round, because I had no reason not to. But now I live in the city with Salt in its name, and I have to deal with a real winter for the first time in my life. I don't want my rust-free Texas car ruined, so I bought a sacrificial Isuzu Rodeo to get me through salt season, and I'm gonna keep Pendleton in the garage over the winter.

Those of you who garage your e28 over the winter, what do you do to ensure that you'll still have a happy, healthy car in the spring? I figured I'd keep the battery on a battery tender, but I wasn't sure whether it's better to disconnect it from the car or leave it in. I've also read about adding fuel preservative to the tank, but I wasn't sure whether that is necessary or not, or if it's enough to just have a full tank of gas. I expect that I'll have the car put away for about 4 months: from about now through early March.

Any advice and opinions are welcome, thanks!
stuartinmn

Re: Garaging a car over winter?

Post by stuartinmn »

I just parked mine yesterday. My prep is pretty minimal - I put some Sta-bil in the gas tank, drive it around a little to get the stuff circulating throughout the system, then put it in the garage, disconnect the battery, and walk away. As long as the battery is in good shape it will be fine sitting until spring, you don't need to use a battery tender (they actually discharge more slowly in cold weather.) I've been doing it this way with all my cars for 40 years now without issues.
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

I prefer Star Tron to Stabil. It's what my boat-owner friends recommend.
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

Another choice is Seafoam. I've used it and Sta-bil, and both seemed to work okay for me (and to be honest, there's been a couple times in recent years where I didn't get around to adding anything to the tank and the car seemed to be fine in the spring too, but with today's gas it's best to use something.)
topher800

Post by topher800 »

If SLC is anything like Denver, you can get the car out once a month. I have summer tires and eschew water/salt/mag-chloride. I only add Stabil to the motorcycles which sit for 4+ months.

Even the 1960 CJ3B [no roof, doors, airbags, or seatbelts] which may sit for a couple months I don't add stabil...maybe I should.
craigb93

Post by craigb93 »

I suggest that you fill up with ETHANOL-FREE gasoline and don't put any additive in it. The price should be the same as ethanol fuel + stabil and you will have no varnish forming additive to get out of the tank come Spring. Ethanol-free gasolines are quite stable in my experience. My Jet-Skis sit for 6-7-months at the time and fire off like it was yesterday. I can look into the tank with a flashlight and see the clean, clear bottom.
If you have a battery tender, use it. If not then definitely disconnect the battery ground cable. A good battery will hold a charge over a winter but if connected to the car, the clock and constant power lead to the radio will drain it flat.
-Dick
austin8753

Post by austin8753 »

for anything i plan to store for more than a month, i do the following; knowledge courtesy of my mentor:

-40psi in all tires to try to combat flat spotting (unavoidable, but it helps)
-a completely full fuel tank (as close to the top as possible to prevent moisture getting in) with ethanol-free 92 octane
-a good quality battery tender (i still disconnect the negative terminal)
-a bar of irish spring (cut up into 3 pieces) and place them in plastic containers and put them in the engine bay, cabin and trunk (rodents hate the smell and are more likely to leave your car alone)
-if you are concerned about theft of any kind (off site storage), i pull a critical electronic component (your choice) and put it with the key (stored away from the car)
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

I've seen bars of Irish Spring that were half eaten by mice...(and they also like to make nests out of Bounce dryer sheets.)
Flat spotting largely went away with bias ply tires, but I agree it's a good idea to make sure they're properly inflated.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Tires with a nylon cap tend to flat spot. Not permanently, but they can be a pain first drive of the day. I had some Kuhmos a few years ago that felt like they were square for the first mile or two. I don't know what they would have been like after 6 months. Nylon is stronger then polyester and arguably makes a better tire, but not without consequence.
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

To me, the answer depends a lot on what you mean by “garage.”

Detached or attached?
Pest control service as part of house, or exposed to vermin.
Climate controlled or not?
Shared with the Isuzu, or is the e28 is isolated from daily viewing?

Just a few of the obvious questions, and if you would detail the specifics of the “garage” it would be helpful.
Zeta

Post by Zeta »

RetiredDoc wrote: Nov 08, 2020 7:58 PM To me, the answer depends a lot on what you mean by “garage.”

Detached or attached?
Pest control service as part of house, or exposed to vermin.
Climate controlled or not?
Shared with the Isuzu, or is the e28 is isolated from daily viewing?

Just a few of the obvious questions, and if you would detail the specifics of the “garage” it would be helpful.
Attached, 1-car-wide 2-car-deep garage, Pendleton would be in the back by himself. Not climate controlled. Pest control (or at least deterrent) service provided by my cat. :D

Thanks everyone for the advice! Once this wave of snow melts I'll add some fuel stabilizer and drive around a bit, then I'll give the tires some extra air before returning him to the garage. I put a brand new battery in in August, so I doubt I will need to use the battery tender so long as I disconnect it.
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

Thank you for the response about your garage.

I would leave the battery installed, and use a Battery Tender or similar battery maintainer. That is just on the off chance that you get a run of beautiful sunny winter driving days, or otherwise need to move the e28. Not having the battery physically in the car, or even just having to reconnect cables is a big deterrent to spur of the moment drives.

I have been on and off over the 36 years of e28 ownership about a car cover for a garaged car. I have finally decided that a cover is in the same category as removing the battery - a deterrent to taking a drive on a nice day.

Battery maintainer is all I would do. On the e28 it is especially easy as it can be plugged into the cigarette lighter socket. Spring will be here in five months. To me that is not long-term storage.