Coolant System Pressure Test Kit

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
glowell222

Coolant System Pressure Test Kit

Post by glowell222 »

Any suggestions of what will fit our reservoirs? my MightyVac kit doesn't fit.
Profile36

Re: Coolant System Pressure Test Kit

Post by Profile36 »

I used the Harbor Freight one on my 87 535is, worked just fine, mine has item# 69258 on it, they dont carry it anymore, but it looks identical to the one below.

https://www.harborfreight.com/radiator- ... ure+tester

Its cheap but its helped me diagnose multiple cars and find the small leaks that otherwise will make you suspect a head gasket.

Let me know if you find it. I always like to know where the leaks might be hiding.

- M
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

Our cars are easy and use a standard "Stant" type cap so the basic kit I've had for decades works fine. The adapters I've had to buy to use it with my more modern BMWs have cost more than the original kit as nearly every car seems to need a different one. Some of the cheaper Amazon kits with a bunch of adapters might be a more reasonable alternative these days but the pump and gauge won't be better than the old Stant kit.
glowell222

Post by glowell222 »

Thanks both for your suggestions. I ordered an adapter for the mityvac. Will have to just deal and carry extra coolant until it comes.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

I do have the luxury of compressed air, but a lot of guys here do.

What I did long ago on an E12, M30 so similar, was to tie into the little 8MM hose between the radiator and the coolant tank with a Tee and pressurize it from there. I of course cranked the pressure on the compressor way down so I wouldn't blow up the radiator, plus keeping the cap in place left a pressure relief valve. And it worked, I found my leak that never reached the ground but consumed coolant. The hose on the back of the head was a slow drip under pressure, but leaked onto the back of the engine then the tranny and never left evidence.
austin8753

Post by austin8753 »

i've got a Stant kit from the 70s (thanks, grandpa), and i bought the Snap-On adapter for doing the later cars (e30, et al). that was a total game changer. i use it daily.