Current Paint Colors - Discussion

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
Notaweekend

Current Paint Colors - Discussion

Post by Notaweekend »

What do you guys think of the new paint colors on the current/upcoming line up? I mean any that come to mind. To me; some seem very bland and others are actually quite nice. Theres a lack of red cars, which is my favorite color, and 'Melbourne' red is kind of nice - as seen on the 3 series. I've seen pictures of the f90 M5 in imola as well.
Davit grey is nice too.

I haven't found an interest in Manhattan Green yet...

Phytonic blue is okay to me.

I'm not sure what they're calling the highlighter yellow color on the new M4 but I'm sure we're all going to agree it sucks right?

Isle of Man Green looks great though!!

what do you guys think?

for reference, some of my favorite colors have been Zinno red, and Estoril Blue, among others of course.
BMWCCA2

Re: Current Paint Colors - Discussion

Post by BMWCCA2 »

We've ordered and sold four Manhattan Green 2021 X5s so far, and we're a small dealership. Sometimes people just get tired of 50-shades-of-gray!
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

BMWCCA2 wrote: Oct 11, 2020 5:34 PMSometimes people just get tired of 50-shades-of-gray!
Boy howdy. The automotive world is pretty monochromatic these days.
Notaweekend

Post by Notaweekend »

Nice!

& yes true
New Yorkers usually go white/black sometimes grey or silver... manhattan green is like their colorful choice, which to me is so dull but looks better in person than online.

However, some other brands have a variety of nice, bright colors. Audi for example- I think all of their colors look good from what I’ve seen. Something about their paint looks amazing on their new cars.
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

BMW has recently started phasing-in some interesting Individual colors at Plant Spartanburg.
Problem is the cost is $5,000 and lead-time is 11-weeks.
Adam W in MN

Post by Adam W in MN »

One trend I can't stand were all the "frozen" colors that were the rage a few years ago. Dumb, and required lots of special care (avoid tree sap and bird shit) that probably wasn't provided since they were just a lease. Wonder how they look now.

Worst color name? Snapper rocks blue. Nice color, but dumbshit name in my opinion.

Unfortunately the only new color i knew well was the highlighter yellow that I kind of like. I would have ordered that on my M3 wagon with RWD and 6spd manual that they won't build for me or import to the US. Screw'em, I'll keep driving my AMG wagon I guess.
Notaweekend

Post by Notaweekend »

i agree, frozen colors sucked!

The frozen red color on previous f90 m5.. horribbllleee.

so you were considering ordering an m3 wagon, or you already did?
John in VA

Post by John in VA »

Adam W in MN wrote: Oct 12, 2020 5:10 PMWorst color name? Snapper rocks blue. Nice color, but dumbshit name in my opinion.
Snapper Rocks Blue Metallic was stunning on the 4-series loaner we had a few years ago - my wife loved it. I'm not sure why they named it after an Australian surf break instead of the usual race circuit. She has an Estoril Blue Metallic II F22 now.
Cactus

Post by Cactus »

If they painted a new BMW non-clear coated lapisblau, it would be the prettiest car they make.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

BMWCCA2 wrote: Oct 11, 2020 5:34 PM Sometimes people just get tired of 50-shades-of-gray!
I recently saw a chart that I can't find now, but it was basically predominance of colors over the last 30 years. Currently white is the most common, but between black, white, grey, and silver its some 75% of all vehicles.
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

I have been around to see car colors come and go, even the two-tones of the 50s. My first car was a white over salmon 1955 Pontiac Star Chief. Next decade I had a Dark green Chevy with a white vinyl roof.

I miss seeing orange BMW’s, and the speed yellow Porsches, and British racing green.

Currently I am on my fifth Lexus, and they have all been grey. Toyota/Lexus seems to keep the same colors, with the same paint codes; they just change the name of the same colors from year to year as a marketing strategy.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

stuartinmn wrote: Oct 11, 2020 10:15 PM
BMWCCA2 wrote: Oct 11, 2020 5:34 PMSometimes people just get tired of 50-shades-of-gray!
Boy howdy. The automotive world is pretty monochromatic these days.
Houses are going the same way. Everything is grey with white trim or white with grey trim and a red door. At least that’s what every house flipper in my area is doing to ruin the houses after they rip the load bearing walls out and put in a beam without getting permits.

There was recently a video on the CNBC YouTube channel that discussed why the US vehicle fleet is monochromatic and it was 10 minutes longer than it needed to be. Kinda goes back to why I couldn’t get a Zinnoberrot over Pacific Blue 535is (I wouldn’t want that but a local guy has a Henna over Pacific 628csi) and there were so many Bronzit, Delphin and cosmos/cirrusblau E28s, green/parchment E34s and silver/grey E39s or why Graham couldn’t order an E91 without iDrive. Dealers want cars they can sell and manufacturing is most efficient with a limited amount of colors. There are a couple of dealers that really go nuts with the individual colors. I think it was in Colorado Springs where they had a yellow F31 with enough options to make it a $70k car that would still need motor mounts every 10k miles. Beverly Hills BMW has a slough of super expensive cars in scat-packesque colors and claim to be the experts on individuality. I guess that’s a value-add for some, others are happy enough to get a similar experience in a Titansilber car and then facetiously tell everyone their Titansilber E39 M5 is the rarest color and then get called an idiot by many. It’s all part of the experience and it had a lower cost of entry.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

RetiredDoc wrote: Oct 14, 2020 1:36 PM I miss seeing orange BMW’s, and the speed yellow Porsches, and British racing green.
Those are some of my favorite car colors. :up:

Perhaps relevant, perhaps not, I recall an article from years ago suggesting car colors were 3 years behind lingerie colors. Might have been 3 years ahead, but I think behind. So if we have anyone who spends time shopping for their SO from year to year in the Victoria's Secret catalog, we might have an idea of what's coming on cars. :laugh:
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

Mike W. wrote: Oct 18, 2020 1:52 AM Perhaps relevant, perhaps not, I recall an article from years ago suggesting car colors were 3 years behind lingerie colors. Might have been 3 years ahead, but I think behind. So if we have anyone who spends time shopping for their SO from year to year in the Victoria's Secret catalog, we might have an idea of what's coming on cars. :laugh:
My brother spent his engineering career working on paint and metal coatings for one of the Big Three in Detroit, and he told me the same thing. :)
glowell222

Post by glowell222 »

I keep seeing new Audis and other makes in a horrifying grey color that I can only think of as "Filing Cabinet Grey". The first time I saw it I had a serious flashback to my military days where that color was an affliction.
John in VA

Post by John in VA »

glowell222 wrote: Oct 27, 2020 4:19 PM I keep seeing new Audis and other makes in a horrifying grey color that I can only think of as "Filing Cabinet Grey". The first time I saw it I had a serious flashback to my military days where that color was an affliction.
Nardo Gray (& other similar non-metallic shades) are all the rage currently. A neighbor has a Toyota Rav4 that is a gray with a touch of green in it, no metallic (Lunar rock) - looks nice!

gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

glowell222 wrote: Oct 27, 2020 4:19 PM I keep seeing new Audis and other makes in a horrifying grey color that I can only think of as "Filing Cabinet Grey". The first time I saw it I had a serious flashback to my military days where that color was an affliction.
Seen it. Looks like Rustoleum machinery grey. Not a great color on a car IMO.
glowell222

Post by glowell222 »

gadget73 wrote: Oct 29, 2020 10:34 AM
Seen it. Looks like Rustoleum machinery grey. Not a great color on a car IMO.
That grey doesn't even look good on the SUVs.

The color I am not seeing available for new cars these days is green. Not that lime green either, but a good deep solid green, or something along the lines of the Alpina Green on the E28s.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

honestly I don't even like that color on machinery. I painted my lathe in Rustoleum smoke grey. Its darker and less obnoxious looking. Not exactly an exciting color but its a machine tool, not a fashion statement.

Dark green looks good. My S10 is dark green and silver. I also like a good dark metallic brown on certain things. Friend of mine had his Crown Vic repainted in something called "root beer" and it looks nice. It was originally a brown car, but now its a sparkly brown car.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

New cars, while I really don't like them for the most part, have gotten so good and are so competitive they're way into change for the sake of change. Including colors like USN gray, which somehow doesn't look shinny even when it's new. Pre oxidized, what a concept. At least so far they haven't gotten to odd 50's two tone cars, like pink and gray. :facepalm:
gadget73 wrote: Oct 29, 2020 3:55 PM
Dark green looks good. My S10 is dark green and silver. I also like a good dark metallic brown on certain things. Friend of mine had his Crown Vic repainted in something called "root beer" and it looks nice. It was originally a brown car, but now its a sparkly brown car.
I like subtle color changes, I've done it once or twice. The inside and the outside look different, even if they are the same, so if it's close it works and doesn't look like a color change and you don't have all the extra work like a full color change. I did my E28 and went from Alpine White, which is distinctly yellow, to a more blue white, I'm not even sure what off of. Looked great to my eyes. On an E21 I went from "Ruby Red" which was very blah, to a somewhat brighter red. Never quite looked like what I hoped, but still a big improvement over original.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

Know what you mean about subtle color changes making a difference if done properly. Ford's white from the 80s and 90s (Oxford White) was always slightly dull looking even when polished. A friend had one redone in some brilliant white color and it really made it stand out without being obnoxious about it.